Help learning to use clip-in shoes

Old November 2nd 03, 10:33 PM
Zoot Katz

Default Help learning to use clip-in shoes

02 Nov 2003 18:44:04 GMT,
,
David Reuteler wrote:

unclipping on the left has other advantages: cuts down on tattoos.

Roads are usually crowned so it's a shorter dab to the left than the
right if you're riding in the right part of the right lane.
--
zk
Old November 2nd 03, 10:47 PM
Arthur Harris

"Mike Jacoubowsky" wrote:
Art: Is your pedal really a 505 or 515? I deal mostly with 515s and
520s... a 505 is probably similar Before you lose the adjustment screw
(before it comes out entirely), you get to a point where it's no longer
affecting spring tension, and there's no longer any resistance to turning.
If I want a pedal as loose as possible, I find that spot (where it loses

all
tension) and then tighten up one turn. That should keep it from rattling
out, while at the same time giving minimal tension.

Thanks for the info, Mike. That's just what I was looking for. Yes, the
pedals are M505s, and they are very similar to the M515s (except with cup
and cone bearings).

Good news: My wife did her first ride with the clipless pedals today, and
had no mishaps. We only did a couple of miles around the neighborhood, but
she liked them.

Art Harris

Old November 2nd 03, 11:40 PM
Mike Jacoubowsky

Good news: My wife did her first ride with the clipless pedals today, and
had no mishaps. We only did a couple of miles around the neighborhood, but
she liked them.

Good to hear! In general, I find most people have far more trouble figuring
out to work gears than they do with clipless pedals. The problem is that
we've unintentionally built in this big fear-factor about them, mostly for
no reason other than the fact that they're not what we grew up with.

My wife is intimidated by cycling in general (scared of cars, obstacles,
etc) but has zero trouble with clipless pedals. In fact, she greatly
prefers them. Go figure.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
http://www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

"Arthur Harris" wrote in message
et...

Old November 3rd 03, 03:49 AM
Zelda

"Mike Jacoubowsky" wrote in message om...

Good to hear! In general, I find most people have far more trouble figuring
out to work gears than they do with clipless pedals.

(snip)

Hmmm... do you think this is because most Americans don't know how to
drive a stick shift?

- Zelda (happily riding with her shoes clipped in)

p.s. I've read the explanation of why they're called "clipless
pedals", but it just sounds wrong!!
Old November 3rd 03, 06:02 AM
Mike Jacoubowsky

Good to hear! In general, I find most people have far more trouble
figuring
out to work gears than they do with clipless pedals.

(snip)

Hmmm... do you think this is because most Americans don't know how to
drive a stick shift?

Yes, that's most definitely part of it. It's probably a rude shock when
Americans travel to Europe and try to rent a car!

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
http://www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

om...

Old November 3rd 03, 05:01 PM
Tanya Quinn

(Zelda) wrote in message . com...
I bought a good road bike last year, and yesterday I decided I was
finally ready to get rid of the old pedals, and get shoes and pedals
that clip in. I had the bike shop install Shimano SPD pedals, and they
put my bike in a trainer to let me practice clipping the shoes in and
out. That was fine. Today, I tried and failed to actually ride my
bike. I fell twice, hard, without getting out of my driveway. The
second time, I hit my head on the concrete (yes I was wearing my
helmet).

Hi Zelda,
I recently started using Shimano SPD pedals (double sided) and thought
I'd share what I've figured out. I haven't fallen yet but I hear its
quite common so I think I am extra paranoid that way. I have more
problem clipping in than out.

I would start somewhere where you have lots of space and you don't
have to clip in and out in short distances - a large empty parking
lot, or a fairly low trafficked road without a lot of lights or stop
signs.

Adjust the tension on the pedals so they are very low. This makes them
easier to get in and out. When you are approaching somewhere you want
to stop pick a foot and twist it in a fairly quick motion sideways at
the outside of the pedal. I find it much easier to get back in to the
clips when I am already in one clip so only unclip one foot. You can
keep pedalling while you are unclipped if you unclip too soon. (better
too soon than too late)

I find I have to pedal for a bit to get back into the other clip, its
hard to clip in from a stopped position. The force from pedalling down
on the pedal helps to get clipped in. It works okay to pedal along for
a bit without being clipped into either pedal though its frustrating
and not so smooth.

After a while your feet will just find their way in and out of the
pedals without having to give it conscious thought. But it is quite
disconcerting at first, whenever I would see a stoplight green I would
race to get through because I hated the idea of having to unclip.

Tanya
Old November 5th 03, 03:36 AM
Rick Onanian

Note: This message was queued when I expected it to be immediately
sent. Sending much later now...

On Sun, 02 Nov 2003 13:40:23 GMT, "Arthur Harris"
wrote:
-Have the bike in a low enough gear that you can accelerate quickly.

Good idea, except that it helps to have strong resistance at the
pedal when you try to clip in.

Good luck,
Art Harris

--