The 2% difference

Old November 23rd 08, 09:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Carl Sundquist

Default The 2% difference

http://www.booknoise.net/armstrong/qanda.html

Booknoise: What are his vulnerabilities, if any?

Coyle: Armstrong’s power margin over his top rivals is 10 watts, or
about 2 percent. To go back to our test, that 2 percent is about what it
would take to lift one quart of water to waist height over and over.
It’s not much—so Armstrong guards it, checks it, gets a nuts about it.
Friends and teammates can tell how he’s doing by his mood. If the
numbers aren’t where they should be, he’s not very fun to be around.
Old November 24th 08, 01:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Banned

On Nov 23, 2:57*pm, Carl Sundquist wrote:
http://www.booknoise.net/armstrong/qanda.html

Booknoise: What are his vulnerabilities, if any?

Coyle: Armstrong’s power margin over his top rivals is 10 watts, or
about 2 percent. To go back to our test, that 2 percent is about what it
would take to lift one quart of water to waist height over and over.
It’s not much—so Armstrong guards it, checks it, gets a nuts about it..
Friends and teammates can tell how he’s doing by his mood. If the
numbers aren’t where they should be, he’s not very fun to be around.

500 watts?? For how long?

My math right?

10=.02(x), x being wattage?

I don't think even Armstrong can sustain 500 watts for any length of
time.

Old November 24th 08, 04:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Leo Lichtman[_2_]

(clip) that 2 percent is about what it
would take to lift one quart of water to waist height over and over.
(clip)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Something's missing: how fast or how often Power = work/time.

Old November 24th 08, 05:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Claus Assmann

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:

Coyle: Armstrong’s power margin over his top rivals is 10 watts, or

500 watts?? For how long?

1 hour.

I don't think even Armstrong can sustain 500 watts for any length of
time.

I don't know about Armstrong, but I've read that Jan Ulrich was
able to do that.
Old November 24th 08, 05:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Robert Chung[_2_]

Claus Assmann wrote:

I don't know about Armstrong, but I've read that Jan Ulrich was
able to do [500 watts for an hour].

I don't think Ulrich was ever able to do that.

Old November 24th 08, 05:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Carl Sundquist

Robert Chung wrote:
Claus Assmann wrote:

I don't know about Armstrong, but I've read that Jan Ulrich was
able to do [500 watts for an hour].

I don't think Ulrich was ever able to do that.

Are you calling Coyle a gym teacher?
Old November 24th 08, 05:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Woland99

On Nov 23, 3:57 pm, Carl Sundquist wrote:
http://www.booknoise.net/armstrong/qanda.html

Thanks - I read "Lance Armstrong's War" recently.
Fun book even if it exaggerates a bit here and there.
Old November 24th 08, 06:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mike Jacoubowsky

"Robert Chung" wrote in message
Claus Assmann wrote:

I don't know about Armstrong, but I've read that Jan Ulrich was
able to do [500 watts for an hour].

I don't think Ulrich was ever able to do that.

Does it matter? It's power to weight that makes the difference. A fit
230 pound cyclist (yes, there are some) will create very high average
power readings. But he's not going to be competitive as soon as the road
tilts up (never mind also the fact that everybody's going to line up
behind him and never take the lead on the flats...). That, of course, is
the extreme case. Then again, wasn't Ulrich? Or is it a myth that he was
heavier than he should have been?

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Old November 24th 08, 08:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Robert Chung[_2_]

Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:

I don't know about Armstrong, but I've read that Jan Ulrich was
able to do [500 watts for an hour].

I don't think Ulrich was ever able to do that.

Does it matter? It's power to weight that makes the difference.

I think Ulrich's weight was misreported but I don't think he ever weighed
*that* much.