Something I read in the News

Old December 27th 18, 12:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

Default Something I read in the News

On 2018-12-21 09:42,
On 2018-12-20 08:00,
On 2018-12-19 16:10, John B. Slocomb wrote:
On Wed, 19 Dec 2018 15:24:01 -0800, Joerg

On 2018-12-19 15:11, John B. Slocomb wrote:
On Wed, 19 Dec 2018 10:54:51 -0800, Joerg

On 2018-12-17 18:58, John B. Slocomb wrote:
Today's Bangkok Post had an article entitled "US careens towards
government shutdown". From reading the article it seems that the
President wants a 5 billion dollar budget for the Mexican Wall and
Congress doesn't want to give it to him.

5,000,000,000 divided by 1,954 miles is what? $25,588,536.33 a mile
(that may be wrong as I'm not used to working with really big numbers)
but even for the largest economy in the world that seems a tiny bit
expensive, doesn't it?

It's about $2.5M per mile which sounds cheap to me, considering all the
surveillance stuff that goes into it. Maybe you need a new calculator :-)

You missed that part where I say, "(that may be wrong as I'm not used
to working with really big numbers)"?

I didn't miss that, just couldn't believe it because AFAIK you are an
engineer and also worked on aircraft. Those are professions where some
really big numbers occur.

Yes, I did graduate from a so called "diploma mill" engineering school
and yes I did work on airplanes but the largest numbers we worked with
was gallons of gasoline in the fuel tanks which, I suppose rather
dates me as I never worked on a jet aircraft :-)

Who knows, maybe 100 years from now anyone who worked with Jet-A has to
be an old fart. My 36 year old road bike doesn't instill youth appeal
either. "Wot's a downtube shifter?"

I originally served an apprenticeship as a machinist where the biggest
numbers were in 1/1000 inch :-)

If you never worked on the electronics you might not have experienced
really large ranges. There we routinely deal with ranges in excess of 12
orders of magnitude. Though 0.001" versus the wing span can be five
orders of magnitude.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Slocum has big plans for inventing an electric aircraft.

Too late.

https://www.pipistrel.si/plane/alpha-electro/overview

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

What do you suppose they do when the lithium ion batteries overheat and catch fire?

Pretty much the same as when a fuel line comes off and flames and plumes
of black smoke start showing up from underneath the cowling on a regular
aircraft. You either find a somewhat decent place to immediately land or
you have a parachute, are able to open the canopy or a door and manage
to leave the aircraft without hitting the stabilizers.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

What percentage of aircraft have fuel engine failures vs. the number of lithium Ion battery failures? So many of these have occurred that you'd think that the government would step in. But the media doesn't even report the vast majority of them. There were aircraft ground fires that I explain to them how and why they sere occurring and they did take actions. But I'm not sure that they are watching that closely enough.

The FAA reports that there were 18 lithium Ion battery problems so far
in 2018.

There were 219,004 licensed aircraft in the U.S, in 2018.

cheers,

John B.

Old December 27th 18, 12:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

On Wed, 26 Dec 2018 10:35:20 -0800 (PST), wrote:

On Saturday, December 22, 2018 at 3:21:43 PM UTC-8, John B. Slocomb wrote:
On Sat, 22 Dec 2018 07:22:42 -0800, Joerg

On 2018-12-21 09:42,
On 2018-12-20 08:00,

wrote:

On 2018-12-17 18:58, John B. Slocomb wrote:
[...]

In big airplanes with lots of engines the first step was to reduce
power or stop the bad engine and dive the airplane to increase
airspeed and try to blow the fire out. Been there, done that and it
worked (at least that time :-)

cheers,

John B.

In commercial airliners, the battery bank is located in the nose directly beneath the wiring harness for all of the cockpit instrumentation.

https://tinyurl.com/y84qh6v5
The 787 has two battery compartments, the forward one is located aft
of the front door, which is aft of the pilot's compartment.

Lithium Ion batteries can only be charged at their maximum rate between 1/4 and 3/4 of full charge. On either side of those lines you have to severely limit the rates of charge to not overheat the batteries.

Foreign airline companies would NOT rent ground power units during layovers and so the cleanup crews would be using the batteries to power the lights and cleanup equipment all during this time. The smaller the clean-up crews the longer it would take.

See:
https://www.aviationtoday.com/2013/0...87s-batteries/

'These four busses are 235VAC primary power and 270VDC for pumps, plus
115VAC and 28VDC for small galley, IFE and flight deck subsystems. The
ship relies on the low voltage DC 29.2VDC from the lithium battery
only for engine starts if no ground power is available, for some power
transfer functions and for last ditch back up emergency cockpit power.
For it to actually be needed in flight, all six onboard generators
would have to have failed, along with the emergency wind turbine.

Normal starts are from one of the external ground power ports, with
the required energy supplied by an external ground power unit. Where a
ground power start is not possible, the rear internal battery starts
the APU, whose high capacity VFSGs then provide the power needed to
start the two main engines forward.

So after the engines were started the original chargers would run the recharge at maximum rates until the battery reached full charge. This left a serious source of a battery fire and that fire would burn out all of the control and communications lines. This is what probably occurred to that aircraft that disappeared. Those Boeings would fly themselves and it probably first killed the pilot and copilot with carbon monoxide. Since their are locked into a break-in proof cabin no one could get in. Then the burning batteries would go though the forward bulkhead and into the luggage compartment and the remainder of the passengers would be killed by fire or carbon monoxide. The aircraft would respond to the weather conditions but more or less simply fly itself until it ran out of fuel and glided in and crashed into the ocean. The radar track of that aircraft looked like that was the case.

cheers,

John B.

Old December 27th 18, 11:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
news18

On Wed, 26 Dec 2018 10:21:28 -0800, sltom992 wrote:

Most of the central
American illegals will NEVER be able to support themselves even in the
best of times. They are almost totally uneducated - most of them cannot
read nor write.

Never done and filed or factory labouring have you.
Old December 27th 18, 11:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
news18

On Wed, 26 Dec 2018 10:16:43 -0800, sltom992 wrote:

While AIDS MAY have gotten
in partially via airlines not many of those Africans who probably
brought it into this country were wealthy enough to take anything other
than cattle boats.

Umm, "sex tourism" isn't the poor from Africa coming to the USA, but
t'other way around.
Old December 27th 18, 11:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
news18

On Wed, 26 Dec 2018 10:35:20 -0800, sltom992 wrote:

Those Boeings would fly themselves
and it probably first killed the pilot and copilot with carbon monoxide.
Since their are locked into a break-in proof cabin no one could get in.
Then the burning batteries would go though the forward bulkhead and into
the luggage compartment and the remainder of the passengers would be
killed by fire or carbon monoxide.

Sound good until you picked the wrong pair of culprits. Hint, look at
aircraft crash reports and you'll find it is rarely "fire" that kills
passengers, but smoke.
Old December 28th 18, 11:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On 2018-12-21 09:42,
On 2018-12-20 08:00,

wrote:

On 2018-12-17 18:58, John B. Slocomb wrote:
[...]

219,004 Boe3ing 987's. Who would have believed that Boeing could have turned out so many.
Old December 29th 18, 01:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

On 2018-12-21 09:42,
On 2018-12-20 08:00,

wrote:

On 2018-12-17 18:58, John B. Slocomb wrote:
[...]

I see... the 987 is the only aircraft that uses lithium Ion batteries?

A strange remark as I read:

https://www.aviationpros.com/article...es-in-aircraft
Lithium-ion batteries have been a significant part of aviation for the
past decade. Applications have been used in systems such as avionics
backup power supplies, emergency lighting, ELTs, powering auxiliary
equipment (crew cabin phones, cabin doors), uninterrupted power
systems (UPS), and engine start batteries for fighter jets and drones.

http://aviationweek.com/commercial-a...ove-value-a350
After 1.5 years of service with lithium-ion (Li-ion) batteries, the
Airbus A350 is quietly proving the worth of a technology that suffered
from serious teething pains on other aircraft. Along with the recently
certified Bell 505 Jet Ranger X helicopter, another turbine-powered
aircraft using the batteries, the A350 may herald a broad adoption of
Li-ion in civil aviation. Noteworthy will be Boeing\u2019s upcoming
choice for its code-named New Midsize Airplane. For Li-ion batteries,
the road ...

Christian Bible - Proverbs 17:28
Even a fool, when he holdeth his peace, is counted wise: and he that
shutteth his lips is esteemed a man of understanding.

cheers,

John B.

On 2018-12-21 09:42,
On 2018-12-20 08:00,

wrote:

On 2018-12-17 18:58, John B. Slocomb wrote:
[...]

You didn't seem to notice that I had a typo and that it is 787 and 797's. You don't understand anything about batteries so I suggest that you looking them up on Google to appear knowledgeable simply makes you look even more foolish.

Sort of like you supremely ignorant comment about fires not being the cause of death but rather carbon monoxide. Moat people would be aware that a fire in an aircraft that is 20,000 feet above sufficient O2 to sustain a fire would generate CO if any fire was started in the luggage or main wiring compartment. Let's here you say something really stupid again.

With each comment you make you're showing more and more that your fund of knowledge isn't from any sort of personal experience but from the might Google.

On 2018-12-21 09:42,
On 2018-12-20 08:00,

wrote:

On 2018-12-17 18:58, John B. Slocomb wrote:
[...]

Yes I did. Thus my satirical response that "I see... the 987 is the
only aircraft that uses lithium Ion batteries?"

(satirical - exposing human folly to ridicule)

Sort of like you supremely ignorant comment about fires not being the cause of death but rather carbon monoxide. Moat people would be aware that a fire in an aircraft that is 20,000 feet above sufficient O2 to sustain a fire would generate CO if any fire was started in the luggage or main wiring compartment. Let's here you say something really stupid again.

Tom, I spent 20 years working on or about aircraft and yes during that
period we had some fires. I even remember one case of the battery, or
components near the battery catching fire on a C-47 (DC-3 to the
uninitiated). The battery is located in the nose forward of the
cockpit and when they fired the fire extinguishers to put the fire out
the CO2, as well as putting the fire out, flooded the cockpit with CO2
which also "put out the pilots" causing a crash.

With each comment you make you're showing more and more that your fund of knowledge isn't from any sort of personal experience but from the might Google.

I think that you misspelled another word.

"might" means physical strength or power, not "google".

As I keep telling you, "It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear
stupid than open it and remove all doubt."

cheers,

John B.

On 2018-12-21 09:42,
On 2018-12-20 08:00,

wrote:

On 2018-12-17 18:58, John B. Slocomb wrote:
[...]

But since you don't live here and don't know a thing about this country anymore you're nothing more than a google fanatic. A fool by any other names is still a Slocumb.