Dick Pound: My Dinners with Andre

Old June 22nd 06, 12:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

Default Dick Pound: My Dinners with Andre

(Or, My emails with Dick Pound)

Back when this whole L'Equipe **** came out, and Pound was spewing
inappropriate statements to the press day after day, I decided to try
and write to the WADA board to express my disdain for how Pound was
destroying the credibility of the organization (and the whole anti-dope
movement). Before I could do that, I needed to know *how* to contact
members of the board. So I contacted WADA's PR dept and was quickly
turned away, the PR staff stated that Dick Pound himself would have to
give permission for them to release this info (and that he had just
rejected my request).

I later googled around, and found the email address of one board
member, (an American attorney, Richard Young) in addition to Pound's
email at his law firm. Pound already knew who I was (from my uncommon
request at WADA). I received an odd email from Pound after I tried
contacting Mr Young, and we began a strange email conversation. Pound
was crude, rude, and very candid in his belief that Armstrong must be
guilty. When I pointed out that what the anti-doping movement needed
was credibility, and at least the appearance of objectivity on the part
of WADA, he would predict that "when this all concludes, I predict I
won't be hearing from you anymore". He was obviously of the opinion
that Armstrong was 100% guilty.

Pound (for some reason) despite his belief in his own personal
righteousness, blocked every attempt at my writing to mebers of the
WADA board. When I figured out the email address naming convention for
WADA, and sent-off my letter anyway, the WADA email server had already
been configured to intercept anything with my IP address on it. All the
emails were blocked. Right afterwards, I heard from Pound, writing
back, wondering why "I was afraid to ask the real questions" regarding
Armstrong.

It became very obvious that Pound is not just chairman of a supposedly
"independent" organization. He controls that organization AND its
board. He does not simply report TO the organization. WADA is
effectively omnipotent. If WADA were to be out of control, there would
be no way to bring them back into-check.

I decided to hang-on to my numerous email exchanges with Mr. Young and
Dick Pound. Might prove useful someday if anyone were to ever mount a
realistic, direct challenge to Pound's authority. I was actually
surprised to see Armstrong as the guy who mounted that challenge.
Oddly enough, it was my interest in seeing Armstrong someday exposed
(and sanctioned) that made me come to realize that Pound was eroding
any possibility of that ever happening. He never knew when to sit back
and let "the process" work itself out. He was always right out there
destroying the credibility of the organization with his huge mouth.

Yes, I personally think Armstrong is "Le Dopee Supreme". And it is
ironic that Armstrong is perhaps the only one with enough clout and
credibility in the world of sport to bring this attention to Pound. But
I'm willing to ride that train, if it is the only train with enough
weight to get the right people at the IOC to listen.

So after the UCI report, the WADA response, and Armstrong's letters...I
made contact with Bill Stapleton two days ago. I turned over some juicy
emails, complete with Pound's quotes that members of the IOC will
likely be very interested in reading.

We deserve to have a WADA-like organization, but when the organization
becomes synonymous with the obviously biased, hot-headed, unrestrained
Dick Pound, we need to see him go, and NOW. Perhaps that means
severing ties with WADA, and starting all over again. Who knows what
kind of personal financial interest that Pound might have with WADA.
If he is unwilling to weather basic criticism from some schmo in the
USA (me), then I figure that the WADA onion must have many layers to
peel-back.

Enjoy the ride. It's going to get bumpy/

Old June 22nd 06, 03:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

Pound (for some reason) despite his belief in his own personal
righteousness, blocked every attempt at my writing to mebers of the
WADA board. When I figured out the email address naming convention for
WADA, and sent-off my letter anyway, the WADA email server had already
been configured to intercept anything with my IP address on it. All the
emails were blocked.

Oh you had me interested, but here you sound a little crazy. Would be
helpful if you used a real email address with an actual name.

I'm not taking that advice, but then again I'm not writing fantastic
tales.

Old June 22nd 06, 03:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

wrote in message
ups.com...

Yes, I personally think Armstrong is "Le Dopee Supreme".

And what's more, NO ONE ELSE could EVER learn how to dope as well or better
than Armstrong.

And why is it that Greg LeMond STILL holds the record for TT's in the Tour
de France?

Maybe HE'S the "Le Dopee Supreme"!!!

Old June 22nd 06, 04:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

Tom Kunich wrote:

And why is it that Greg LeMond STILL holds the record for TT's in the Tour
de France?

dumbass,

your arguments always fall flat because you never have your facts
straight.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/2005...esults/tour051

"To beat Armstrong, Zabriskie rode the fastest TT in Tour De France
history at an incredible average speed of 54.676 km/h, breaking Greg
LeMond's 16 year old record (54.454 km/h in the final stage in 1989)."

Old June 22nd 06, 09:32 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

CowPunk wrote:
wrote:

Yes, I personally think Armstrong is "Le Dopee Supreme". And it is
ironic that Armstrong is perhaps the only one with enough clout and

Explain this;
So how does a guy who has a tv camera following him around 24/7, i.e.
Discovery Channel "road to the tour", manage to do all this doping you
are accusing him of?

If I used Lafferty logic and applied it to golf, then Tiger Woods must
be a cheat also.
You guys are ridiculous.

Without reverting to the more indigenous Lance bashing and fully
realizing most of it is circumstantial):

1. He was most definitely not followed 24/7 during his preparation. And
that's an important moment when dope is taken nowadays: during
preparation, to heigthen the efficiency of the training.
2. Epo is THE standard drug registered to Chemo-Therapy patients. Lance
said quite a few times he never in his life took Epo. (And yes, I
understand that he probably meant that he didnt take it as DOPING, but
it can be seen as a falsehood).
3. Lance thoroughly TRASHED notorious doping users. Epo and Growth
Hormone are exceptionally effective for racing, yet he managed without.
For many this stretches believe by quite a few miles.
4. When a rider broke down about drug use in the Peloton Lance
DESTROYED them, even when he wasn't implicated at all. Lance has been
extremely aggressive to riders who tried to come clean... One would
wonder why.
5. US Postal have been using masking drugs, just before they were
blacklisted.
6. Bruyneel and the doctors made some disturbing remarks about the
hematocrit levels of their riders. (Just before the tour they were all
in the same 49.5 range, all within a point)
7. The "Equipe" results (Of wich the results were not attacked at
all...)

This is far from proof, but if you look at the Coincidences and
Circumstantial evidence you can hardly call people who doubt Lance was
clean "rdiculous". They might be wrong, but they have quite good
reasons to have these doubts.