Arthur's Seat Challenge (was Gloat)

Old March 22nd 05, 10:52 AM
Tom Orr

Default Arthur's Seat Challenge (was Gloat)

How fast can you climb from St. Margaret's Loch to Dunsapie Loch on Arthur's
Seat, Edinburgh on a bike (or human powered vehicle for those on the dark
side)?

This unusual charity bicycle challenge has no date or time limit. Simply
visit
http://www.arthursseatchallenge.co.uk/
to find out how to take part.

Each participant automatically generates £2 for the Marie Curie Hospice in
Fairmilehead, Edinburgh*.

Tom Orr

* to a maximum of 25 participants (unless I can squeeze more money from the
site sponsors).

Old March 22nd 05, 11:52 AM
stupot

Tom Orr wrote:
How fast can you climb from St. Margaret's Loch to Dunsapie Loch on Arthur's
Seat, Edinburgh on a bike (or human powered vehicle for those on the dark
side)?

Electric assist? :-) Not that I have one. There are no (big fat zero) suppliers
in Edinburgh. Get a folder instead! Did a brompton recently win a commuter
chalenge in London?
Old March 22nd 05, 12:42 PM
bugbear

Tom Orr wrote:
How fast can you climb from St. Margaret's Loch to Dunsapie Loch on Arthur's
Seat, Edinburgh on a bike (or human powered vehicle for those on the dark
side)?

This unusual charity bicycle challenge has no date or time limit. Simply
visit
http://www.arthursseatchallenge.co.uk/
to find out how to take part.

What is the linear (travelled) and vertical distance?

BugBear
Old March 22nd 05, 12:45 PM
Tom Orr

"stupot" wrote in message
Tom Orr wrote:

snipped
Electric assist? :-) Not that I have one. There are no (big fat zero)

suppliers
in Edinburgh. Get a folder instead! Did a brompton recently win a commuter
chalenge in London?

Well the first two times listed are at the omygod end of the time scale I
was expecting so I suspect electric assist would be one way of beating the
top time. Yes, I think A Brompton did recently win a commuter challenge
though I can't remember where it took place.

Tom.

Old March 22nd 05, 12:55 PM
Arthur Clune

Tom Orr wrote:

: This unusual charity bicycle challenge has no date or time limit. Simply
: visit
: http://www.arthursseatchallenge.co.uk/
: to find out how to take part.

Well, Hamish Indurian is clearly taking the **** and isn't a valid time.
783W for 3 min? I think not. And of course the name is a little bit of
a clue...

Don't get me wrong, perl is an OK operating system, but it lacks a
lightweight scripting language -- Walter Dnes
Old March 22nd 05, 01:28 PM
Tom Orr

Arthur Clune wrote:
Tom Orr wrote:

snipped

Well, Hamish Indurian is clearly taking the **** and isn't a valid
time. 783W for 3 min? I think not. And of course the name is a little
bit of a clue...

Yes both times are very fast which is a bit offputting I think. I have
cycled the route hundreds of times and I don't think I am giving anything
away when I say that the prevailing wind is almost always an advantage. In a
howling gale (not that unusual in Edinburgh) the climb is actually much
easier. That is why I think these might be real times.

Tom.

Old March 22nd 05, 02:48 PM
Arthur Clune

Tom Orr wrote:
: cycled the route hundreds of times and I don't think I am giving anything
: away when I say that the prevailing wind is almost always an advantage. In a
: howling gale (not that unusual in Edinburgh) the climb is actually much
: easier. That is why I think these might be real times.

The first time is reasonable, if fast, however 783W for 3 mins is too high
to be real I'd say.

Arthur

Old March 22nd 05, 05:47 PM
Tom Orr

Arthur Clune wrote:

snipped

The first time is reasonable, if fast, however 783W for 3 mins is too
high to be real I'd say.

Arthur

I think it is 705 watts. The high estimate may be a result of my Javascript
formula which gives the power output as:

9.81*w*10*(1191/t)/100

where 9.81 is gravity,
w is weight of bike and rider in kilograms,
t is time taken in seconds,
10/100 is the gradient and
1191 is the distance in metres.

I have not factored in wind resistance (or assistance) or friction and I
have distance=displacement which I think may well be wrong. But it is only a
rough estimate of power output. If everyone uses the same formula then at
least it is a comparative measure. It does show that a slow heavy person has
to generate a lot more power than a small fast one. I think the 3m 6s time
is the most remarkable.

I am hoping for some good times in the next week or so.

Tom.

Old March 22nd 05, 06:06 PM
David Martin

On 22/3/05 4:47 pm, in article
, "Tom Orr"
wrote:

Arthur Clune wrote:

snipped

The first time is reasonable, if fast, however 783W for 3 mins is too
high to be real I'd say.

Arthur

I think it is 705 watts. The high estimate may be a result of my Javascript
formula which gives the power output as:

9.81*w*10*(1191/t)/100

where 9.81 is gravity,
w is weight of bike and rider in kilograms,
t is time taken in seconds,
10/100 is the gradient and
1191 is the distance in metres.

If you look at http://www.compbio.dundee.ac.uk/~dmamartin/arthurs.png there
is a route profile traced from the OS map. The profile is 1.21 km long and
rises from 38 to 121m.

So your power calculations are a bit off (too high by at least a fifth).

...d

Old March 22nd 05, 07:44 PM
Tom Orr

"David Martin" wrote in message

snipped

If you look at http://www.compbio.dundee.ac.uk/~dmamartin/arthurs.png

there
is a route profile traced from the OS map. The profile is 1.21 km long and
rises from 38 to 121m.

So your power calculations are a bit off (too high by at least a fifth).

..d

Hi David

I did look at the 1:50,000 Landranger but I couldn't make out the contours.
I ended up measuring it with my bike computer in miles and converting (not
ideal). I would prefer your version as it looks nicely detailed except it
does not resemble the ride. There is no dip at any point. And at the top it
(almost) levels out for about a third of the distance.

I suppose I could add a sort of cosmological constant to bring the power
output down to something realistic.

How did you create your cross-section?

Tom.