Beijing drivers ignore No Car Day

Old September 22nd 07, 11:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Mike Kruger

Default Beijing drivers ignore No Car Day

Least surprising story of the day
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/7007893.stm

China is holding a No Car Day in more than 100 cities as it tries to reduce
smog ahead of the 2008 Summer Olympics.
The BBC's James Reynolds in Beijing says that cars are coming and going as
normal, and most streets in Beijing are not adhering to No Car Day.

[OT: perhaps the most surprising story of the day is Iran accusing Canada of
massive human rights violations. "Man Bites Dog"]
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/wor...-4651763c.html

--
Mike Kruger
Give no quarter to the paradigm people.

Old September 23rd 07, 03:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Dane Buson

Mike Kruger wrote:
Least surprising story of the day
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/7007893.stm

China is holding a No Car Day in more than 100 cities as it tries to reduce
smog ahead of the 2008 Summer Olympics.
The BBC's James Reynolds in Beijing says that cars are coming and going as
normal, and most streets in Beijing are not adhering to No Car Day.

Yeah, I'm not going to say I'm very surprised by that. From what I've
read, most of the new car drivers in China very much have a sense of
entitlement and auto uber alles attitude.

--
Dane Buson -
Thus spake the master programmer:
Old September 23rd 07, 04:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

On 9 23 , 10 10 , Dane Buson wrote:
Mike Kruger wrote:
Least surprising story of the day
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/7007893.stm

China is holding a No Car Day in more than 100 cities as it tries to reduce
smog ahead of the 2008 Summer Olympics.
The BBC's James Reynolds in Beijing says that cars are coming and going as
normal, and most streets in Beijing are not adhering to No Car Day.

Yeah, I'm not going to say I'm very surprised by that. From what I've
read, most of the new car drivers in China very much have a sense of
entitlement and auto uber alles attitude.

Some 300 members of the bike club took to the streets with the
blessing of the traffic authorities (complete with t-shirts and a paid
for buffet lunch) and did a circuit of Haikou City accompanied by
police motorcycles and some tv crew (in cars) managing to quite
thoroughly snarl traffic wherever we went.

I believe it made absolutely no impact whatsoever.

But the Chinese Urban Transportation Week and Car Free Activities
signs around the city (mostly on busses and taxis) are quite pretty.
And it doesn't really hurt. It's a first try and a first year and
advertisers have known for a very long time that if you repeat your
message often enough the customer will eventually buy Larry's Little
Yellow Pills.

-M