The Pleasure of Bike Riding in Portland, Oregon

Old September 17th 07, 11:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,pdx.general,or.politics,or.general
Lobby Dosser

Default The Pleasure of Bike Riding in Portland, Oregon

hal lillywhite wrote:

The worst case of this I ever heard of was our neighbors who got a
couple of chichuachuas and made a little doggie door so they could
enter and leave the house at will. One night one of those dogs
tangled with a skunk, then went in and rolled all over the living room
floor trying to get the stuff off. And that was the night after a
brand new white carpet was installed in that living room. I don't
know what the did about it but I'm sure that dog was in the doghouse.

It's also one of the perils of letting a dog off the leash 50 miles from
home.
Old September 23rd 07, 05:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,pdx.general,or.politics,or.general

Tom Keats wrote:
In article .com,
writes:
On Sep 12, 8:58 pm, "David L. Johnson"
wrote:
Paul Berg wrote:
Poster's comment: The bicyclist must have never biked by City Hall, for
there are a good number of skunks there.

Apparently the poster knew very little at all about skunks, or he/she
would have done anything but stop and watch.

I've had two VERY close encounters with skunks.

I've had many.

They're very sociable, and they enjoy the company
of humans who don't freak them out or startle them,
or run them over with cars.

They're not quite as frenetic as ferrets or otters,
but just as willful. Once you become acquainted with
'em and they understand you're no threat to 'em, they
won't let 'er rip on ya. In fact it's dead easy to
get 'em to eat outa yer hand.

They will also magically emerge from the rocks gleefully accept the
fish you 'caught for them' and disappear just as fast back into the
rocks. And magically pop out for another fish at a different spot.

Just don't let them get their claws on ya.

If you befriend a pregnant skunkette, eventually she's
just gotta drop by and show off her offspring to you,
who'll follow behing Mom like boxcars behind a locomotive.
Don't touch them -- just admire and approve of them and
Mom, and give 'em your positive vibes from a respectful
distance. They'll give you their positive vibes too. As
long as you don't hassle them. Skunks are very much like
humans. I guess that's why they're attracted to us.
That, and our garbage.

cheers,

cool

I bring you redneck kittens:

http://officespam.chattablogs.com/ar...s-13-thumb.jpg

Old September 23rd 07, 07:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,pdx.general,or.politics,or.general
Tom Keats

In article ,
Peter Cole writes:
Tom Keats wrote:
wrote:
Paul Berg wrote:
Poster's comment: The bicyclist must have never biked by City Hall, for
there are a good number of skunks there.
Apparently the poster knew very little at all about skunks, or he/she
would have done anything but stop and watch.
I've had two VERY close encounters with skunks.

I've had many.

They're very sociable, and they enjoy the company
of humans who don't freak them out or startle them,
or run them over with cars.

Skunks are frequent visitors to our urban (Boston) yard. On a couple of
occasions I've seen our cat ambling along, side-by-side, with one (he's
a very sociable cat). He's never been sprayed.

They enjoy and appreciate a li'l rapportoire.
They also seem to be very itinerate, with their
own circuits within which they range. So they
might be here for a while, then gone, and then
back again at some indeterminable time.

I've experienced hard times, myself. Enough
to recognize and compare the same implusions
in desperate humans as in crows, skunks, racoons
and other people.

The only thing that separates humans from Nature
is money.

cheers,
Tom

--
Nothing is safe from me.
I'm really at:
Old September 24th 07, 03:47 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,pdx.general,or.politics,or.general

Tom Keats wrote:
In article .com,
writes:

They're not quite as frenetic as ferrets or otters,
but just as willful. Once you become acquainted with
'em and they understand you're no threat to 'em, they
won't let 'er rip on ya. In fact it's dead easy to
get 'em to eat outa yer hand.

They will also magically emerge from the rocks gleefully accept the
fish you 'caught for them' and disappear just as fast back into the
rocks. And magically pop out for another fish at a different spot.

I guess that's partly what wicker kreels are for.

Yea I believe that would be what I've heard, also believe I've heard
that when you soak them the water will evaporate and keep the fish
cool.

I've sorta had that happen to me, too. Only it was a marten
or a fisher -- some sort of ferret-like critter, anyways.

Slender furry fish thieves.

Porupines like to gnaw on canoe paddles 'cuz of the
sweat-salt embedded in 'em.

Or squezels as I believe they are called in cambodia.

I recall, while living in more bucolic surroundings, mice
enjoying my dog's MilkBones within the secure confines of
my gumboots in the middle of the night. I'd have to pour
the crumbs (and mouse-made chocolate sprinkles) out in
the morning.

Hmmm sprinkles.

Do we cohabitate with/alongside Nature, or simply habitate
and cooperate as an integral part of it?

We had racoons and skunks under the porch and snakes reproduce yearly
from within the sprinkler
system.

I think a lot of both.

cheers,
Tom

Old September 24th 07, 03:56 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,pdx.general,or.politics,or.general
hal lillywhite

Tom Keats wrote:

Porupines like to gnaw on canoe paddles 'cuz of the
sweat-salt embedded in 'em.

They'll gnaw on anything that tastes remotely like salt. Even worse
are marmots and other critters dwelling at high altitude. Over the
centuries, precipitation has washed the salt downhill so pretty much
anything that lives at altitude will be salt deficient.

Some climbers have had boots chewed to shreds. They hike in, then
change to their climbing boots for the climb, stashing the hiking
boots for when they return. If they don't hang the boots out of reach
they may have to walk out in their climbing footwear.

Old September 24th 07, 04:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,pdx.general,or.politics,or.general
Zoot Katz

On Sun, 23 Sep 2007 19:56:37 -0700, hal lillywhite
wrote:

Tom Keats wrote:

Porupines like to gnaw on canoe paddles 'cuz of the
sweat-salt embedded in 'em.

They'll gnaw on anything that tastes remotely like salt. Even worse
are marmots and other critters dwelling at high altitude. Over the
centuries, precipitation has washed the salt downhill so pretty much
anything that lives at altitude will be salt deficient.

Some climbers have had boots chewed to shreds. They hike in, then
change to their climbing boots for the climb, stashing the hiking
boots for when they return. If they don't hang the boots out of reach
they may have to walk out in their climbing footwear.

I had cycling gloves eaten by some nocturnal critter and continued
the tour without gloves. One layer of cotton handle bar tape only.

After ten days riding mostly chip sealed shoulders it took a few
months for my ring-finger and pinky to "wake-up". Several years later
they still weren't right and got painful when cold. I have permanent
nerve damage as a momento of that tour.

Had I known then what I know now I'd have wrapped the handle bar with
a spare pair of socks.
--
zk
Old September 24th 07, 05:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,pdx.general,or.politics,or.general
Lobby Dosser

wrote:

Tom Keats wrote:

[...]

Had I known what I know now, I'd have salted the dog food!