groin pain/numbness

Old September 21st 07, 04:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
peter[_2_]

Default groin pain/numbness

I'm experiencing groin numbness while using a bike trainer, and having groin
pain a few times yesterday while not on the trainer. I stayed off the
trainer for a day and am ok now.

If weight is no concern, is there a bicycle seat that eliminates groin
numbness once and for all? I tried several seats, from very wide and fat gel
seat, seat with a V shape cut-out at the back, seat with a hole/slit cut in
the middle. None of them works. The seat to body contact area remains small
and contact the same general area, and that is the main problem.

Is there a seat that conforms to bud and thigh shape (large contact area)
and is split into two sides that move independently to allow pedaling
freely? I found one on the web with poor reviews. Surely there must be a
better alternative?

Old September 21st 07, 05:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

peter wrote:
I'm experiencing groin numbness while using a bike trainer, and having groin
pain a few times yesterday while not on the trainer. I stayed off the
trainer for a day and am ok now.

If weight is no concern, is there a bicycle seat that eliminates groin
numbness once and for all? I tried several seats, from very wide and fat gel
seat, seat with a V shape cut-out at the back, seat with a hole/slit cut in
the middle. None of them works. The seat to body contact area remains small
and contact the same general area, and that is the main problem.

Is there a seat that conforms to bud and thigh shape (large contact area)
and is split into two sides that move independently to allow pedaling
freely? I found one on the web with poor reviews. Surely there must be a
better alternative?

Your weight should be on your butt-bones, not the perineum. You may
need to adjust the tilt of the saddle. Also make sure the seat isn't
too high, and the bars are high enough so you are not leaning too far
forward onto soft tissue.

Soft saddles, either padded or gel can actually be worse than a hard
one, while the hard bones crush down the padding, the softer tissues
often cannot and they end up with too much pressure and subsequent
numbness. Ideally a saddle should be somewhat firm, and wide enough to
support the butt bones. I like the Selle San Marco Rolls saddle for
just this reason.

Joseph

Old September 21st 07, 10:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Jonathan[_2_]

Search for "Easy Seat" or "Hobson Easy Seat" on either the web or eBay. I
moved from the stock Bontrager on my Trek Sole Ride to a standard Easy Seat
and love it.

Your mileage may vary.

Cheers - Jonathan

Old September 23rd 07, 04:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

peter wrote:

Is there a seat that conforms to bud and thigh shape (large contact area)
and is split into two sides that move independently to allow pedaling
freely? I found one on the web with poor reviews. Surely there must be a
better alternative?

A seat that completely eliminates the problem is supplied with the
Rans line of "Crank Forward" bikes. (rans.com) They also manufacture a
line of recumbent bikes that also eliminate the problem. The only
problem with these bikes is their price, $1000 and up. But if you are
going to do any long distance touring or commuting they are the way to
go.

Dick Ryan

Old September 23rd 07, 05:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Jonathan[_2_]

Default Crank forward bikes, was groin pain/numbness

My sister and her husband are fans of Rans (sorry...). She owns a Fusion
and a Rocket, and he owns a V-Rex and a non-Rans road bike. She uses the
Fusion much more than the Rocket but it's not a "true" recumbant, more like
a comfort bike taken to it's extreme. Both are avid bicylists logging
thousands of miles per year. The seat of the Fusion is a tractor-style
seat, and the others have sling-style seats. I've ridden them all and like
the Fusion best as it is a feet-down-and-forward riding style and very easy
to touch the ground with both feet. The only thing I don't like about it is
there is no possible way to stand up when riding, so you will feel every
bump you go over. I would choose the Fusion for city riding (stop-and-go)
over the others, but it is also very good for long distances as well).

The price kept me away from them, unfortunately. But you can also look into
Sun Bicycles, which makes a style very similar to the Fusion.
http://www.sunbicycles.com/sun/recum...y/ezSunRay.htm

They also make several nice looking comfort bikes as well as true
recumbants.
http://www.sunbicycles.com/sun/bicyc...fortSelect.htm
http://www.sunbicycles.com/sun/bicyc...bridSelect.htm

Cheers - Jonathan

"Mike Kruger" wrote in message
.. .
wrote:
peter wrote:

Is there a seat that conforms to bud and thigh shape (large contact
area) and is split into two sides that move independently to allow
pedaling freely? I found one on the web with poor reviews. Surely
there must be a better alternative?

A seat that completely eliminates the problem is supplied with the
Rans line of "Crank Forward" bikes. (rans.com) They also manufacture a
line of recumbent bikes that also eliminate the problem. The only
problem with these bikes is their price, $1000 and up. But if you are
going to do any long distance touring or commuting they are the way to
go.

Dick Ryan

A co-worker asked me about these, and I had to admit that my only exposure
to these was seeing one at the Rans booth at the Oshkosh air show. (Rans
also makes airplanes.)

Can anyone speak about these from personal experience?

One model is shown below.
http://www.ransbikes.com/Fusion07.htm

Old September 24th 07, 09:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
DennisTheBald

recumbent

Old September 24th 07, 10:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
DennisTheBald

My dear old mom just bought a Rans Zenetic Pro... I had kinda talked
her into it, more over trouble with her neck than the other end.
Since the skiing accident she needs to keep her head directly over her
shoulders...

I've ridden these Crank forward bike around the parking lot a bit. I
would consider switching from a recumbent, maybe... I do think my next
bike will probably be a Rans, but probably one that has a back on the
seat so that I have something to push against when I pedal.

OW! my groin! unibikeling Unicycling 11 September 3rd 07 10:30 AM
Hot spots, top knee pain, neck pain Phil Cox Techniques 16 August 5th 07 03:38 AM
Leg/hip/groin pain cathwood Unicycling 4 June 13th 06 06:55 AM
Pain and Numbness brucianna General 17 July 10th 05 02:38 AM
Groin pain / numbness Tom UK 8 August 27th 04 12:21 PM