So many new lighting systems, who's buying them all?

Old September 24th 07, 01:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech
VBadJuJu[_2_]

Default So many new lighting systems, who's buying them all?

SMS wrote:

It's also amusing to see the move back to metal cases as the LEDs
increase in power. Love those external heat sinks that they try to blend
in as part of the industrial design on
"http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=23115&subcategory_ID=4320".
Maybe they can do a heat pipe and use the waste heat for some sort of
heating system for winter riding.

I have the single version of this. I've never felt the heat sink get
warm and with the effect of air flow across the pod as you ride, it is
hard to see how it could. However, with all the circuitry housed in
the pod I think the heat sink is a matter of just in case.

If it offends anyone delicate sensibilities, I think the entire heat
sink collar comes off with a single screw.

Old September 25th 07, 04:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech
Jasper Janssen

On Mon, 24 Sep 2007 12:44:36 GMT, VBadJuJu wrote:

I have the single version of this. I've never felt the heat sink get
warm and with the effect of air flow across the pod as you ride, it is
hard to see how it could. However, with all the circuitry housed in
the pod I think the heat sink is a matter of just in case.

If you're going with the wind or standing still at a stoplight, for
example, there will be pure convection cooling rather than forced-air,
which might well make the heatsink a matter of necessity.

Jasper
Old September 26th 07, 02:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech
Patrick Lamb

On Tue, 25 Sep 2007 15:19:19 GMT, Jasper Janssen
wrote:

On Mon, 24 Sep 2007 12:44:36 GMT, VBadJuJu wrote:

I have the single version of this. I've never felt the heat sink get
warm and with the effect of air flow across the pod as you ride, it is
hard to see how it could. However, with all the circuitry housed in
the pod I think the heat sink is a matter of just in case.

If you're going with the wind or standing still at a stoplight, for
example, there will be pure convection cooling rather than forced-air,
which might well make the heatsink a matter of necessity.

Still, I got to wonder how much of that "heat sink" look is
technically necessary, and how much of it is dramatic design for
marketing purposes.

Pat

Email address works as is.

By the year 2015, most of the world's wired communication systems will be replaced by wireless communication systems Admin Mountain Biking 3 May 19th 07 09:05 PM
CO2 Systems J Jones Techniques 24 March 17th 06 06:06 PM
MTB gear systems Robin Norton Mountain Biking 5 December 21st 04 10:25 PM
Suggestions on lighting systems David Johnston Techniques 16 July 28th 03 03:21 PM