Walmart bike good enough?

Old September 8th 07, 04:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Veloise

Default Walmart bike good enough?

Bellsouth Ijit 2.0 - Global Warming Edition ® wrote:

Of course. It was said in jest. I would buy a bike from Salvation Army
before I buy one from Walmart.

Red Shield stores can have decent bikes. I've found Raleighs and Treks
at various thrifts.

HTH

--Karen D.

Old September 14th 07, 05:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

On Sep 4, 2:50 pm, wrote:
I have recently got into biking and have started commuting to work 12
miles each way a twice a week. My bike is some heavy walmart'ish
bike, 18-speed mountain bike, shimano gears. Honestly I have no
issues with it, as it is tuned up correctly.

However, all the websites say to avoid these bikes, why? I suppose if
I spend $300+ I'll get a 10 pound lighter bike, but what difference
is that going to make? The weight of the rider dominates the mass of
the system, so a 10 lb bike weight reduction should only make you go
5-10% faster?

So what are the real benefits of expensive bikes?

If you are mainly interested in riding a bike to burn calories, I
suggest you are better off with a heavy bike. And most casual cyclists
want to spend as little $ as possible, so your current bike might be
well suited for your needs. You will feel the effect of the extra
weight going uphill or into the wind, not as much on flat ground.

I don't think one can generalize about 'expensive bikes' as a
homogenous group. A particular expensive bike might be completely
wrong for the kind of riding you do. The bike I am currently riding
came with a bunch of crappy OEM parts like cheap weak rims and a weak
crank. But I am 200lbs / 6'4", and I often carry 25lbs cargo, so I
have had to upgrade most of my parts for greater strength. My rear rim
split some time ago, and recently my crank broke:

http://orion.neiu.edu/~jbollyn/bike/..._crank_out.jpg

http://orion.neiu.edu/~jbollyn/bike/broken_crank_in.jpg

- Jay

Old September 17th 07, 11:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
SMS

Sir Thomas of Cannondale wrote:
Are you familiar with Craigslist, the web page? I did a quick search for a
used bicycle [s].

There were hundreds of high quality road, mtn, old, really old, not so
old... heck, I got myself interested in a couple of them.

Why ride a Wally World piece of **** when you can buy a really nice second
hand bicycle on Craigslist.

Indeed craigslist is one of the best places to buy a good used bicycle.
Sometimes you can get lucky at garage sales, but it's a lot of hassle.

I bought a Univega mountain/hybrid on craigslist for $25. I just
couldn't find the type of bike I wanted new at a decent price, i.e. no
suspension, cromoly frame, non-compact frame, threaded headset.
Old September 18th 07, 01:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

On Sep 4, 12:50 pm, wrote:
So what are the real benefits of expensive bikes?

Oh, good grief. (TM, Charlie Brown). If you want to know the answer to
this question in personal terms, just go to a good bike shop which
sells expensive bikes and ask for some test rides. Don't lie and say
you're definitely going to buy that day. Just ask to ride some decent,
lightweight road bikes in the $1500 - $2500 range. This is "mid range"
but still expensive enough. Take a few out for a just couple of miles
each. I'm pretty sure you will notice the "benefits" after one or two
test rides. And you'll start to like it after 3 or 4 test rides. Then
hang on to your credit card...

- Bob

Old September 18th 07, 01:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Keats

In article .com,
" writes:
On Sep 4, 12:50 pm, wrote:
So what are the real benefits of expensive bikes?

Oh, good grief. (TM, Charlie Brown). If you want to know the answer to
this question in personal terms, just go to a good bike shop which
sells expensive bikes and ask for some test rides. Don't lie and say
you're definitely going to buy that day. Just ask to ride some decent,
lightweight road bikes in the $1500 - $2500 range. This is "mid range"
but still expensive enough. Take a few out for a just couple of miles
each. I'm pretty sure you will notice the "benefits" after one or two
test rides. And you'll start to like it after 3 or 4 test rides. Then
hang on to your credit card...

Any bike, no matter how much it originally cost, runs
better right after it's been cleaned & shined-up
a bit, too.

I figure the real benefits of expensive bikes
are ... they're pretty. And that's okay. It
can be nice to possess something of quality and
aesthetic beauty. If it inspires a rider to ride,
that's fine 'n dandy, just like sugar candy.

A Waterbury can keep just as good time as a
Rolex. In that vein, I think there are more
comprehensive benefits inherent in inexpensive
bikes, than expensive ones. For one thing,
there's less to worry about an inexpensive bike
getting stolen.

But maybe expensive, high-quality, "up-market" bikes
serve to qualify cycling as more than a trite
recreational pastime, or the realm of "losers" who
can't afford cars.

I don't particularly covet an expensive road bike,
myself. But if someone gave me one, I'd greatly
accept it. Of course, I'd have to only use it for
special occasions.

I especially don't want or need an expensive
mountain bike, for mountain biking purposes.
Why pay top dollar just to beat the livin'
daylights outa what you purchase?

So, I'm quite happy with what I've been blessed with.
It's good enough for a plebian like me.

cheers,
Tom

--
Nothing is safe from me.
I'm really at:
Old September 18th 07, 07:17 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Dana Myers

Tom Keats wrote:

I figure the real benefits of expensive bikes
are ... they're pretty. And that's okay. It
can be nice to possess something of quality and
aesthetic beauty. If it inspires a rider to ride,
that's fine 'n dandy, just like sugar candy.

[...]

Just tell yourself, the grapes are sour anyway, and
move on.

Dana
Old September 18th 07, 08:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Dane Buson

Dana Myers wrote:
Tom Keats wrote:

I figure the real benefits of expensive bikes
are ... they're pretty. And that's okay. It
can be nice to possess something of quality and
aesthetic beauty. If it inspires a rider to ride,
that's fine 'n dandy, just like sugar candy.

[...]

Just tell yourself, the grapes are sour anyway, and
move on.

See, I get tired of stupid comments like that when I tell people I don't
own any carbon fiber bikes (or any CF parts). It's the same kind of
comment like I must dislike huge SUVs because I can't afford one. No, I
could afford either with ease, but they don't fit my needs or
particularities.

--
Dane Buson -
Death before dishonor. But neither before breakfast.
Old September 18th 07, 09:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Dana Myers

Dane Buson wrote:
Dana Myers wrote:
Tom Keats wrote:

I figure the real benefits of expensive bikes
are ... they're pretty. And that's okay. It
can be nice to possess something of quality and
aesthetic beauty. If it inspires a rider to ride,
that's fine 'n dandy, just like sugar candy.

[...]

Just tell yourself, the grapes are sour anyway, and
move on.

See, I get tired of stupid comments like that when I tell people I don't
own any carbon fiber bikes (or any CF parts). It's the same kind of
comment like I must dislike huge SUVs because I can't afford one. No, I
could afford either with ease, but they don't fit my needs or
particularities.

I'm not sure which "stupid comments" you're referring to.
I don't own a CF bike either, so what? Do you really
have people that criticize you for not owning a CF bike?
That seems pretty darn shallow to me.

However, equating an "expensive" bike to "sugar candy",
describing an "expensive" bike as pure vanity, sure sounds
like sour grapes to me. "Sugar candy" isn't the same as
"not something that suits my needs", hence my comment.

Dana
Old September 18th 07, 09:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Dane Buson

Dana Myers wrote:
Dane Buson wrote:
Dana Myers wrote:
Tom Keats wrote:

I figure the real benefits of expensive bikes
are ... they're pretty. And that's okay. It
can be nice to possess something of quality and
aesthetic beauty. If it inspires a rider to ride,
that's fine 'n dandy, just like sugar candy.
[...]

Just tell yourself, the grapes are sour anyway, and
move on.

See, I get tired of stupid comments like that when I tell people I don't
own any carbon fiber bikes (or any CF parts). It's the same kind of
comment like I must dislike huge SUVs because I can't afford one. No, I
could afford either with ease, but they don't fit my needs or
particularities.

I'm not sure which "stupid comments" you're referring to.
I don't own a CF bike either, so what? Do you really
have people that criticize you for not owning a CF bike?

Oh, I've met them. Evidently, I'm not a serious rider because I don't
ride CF bikes (steel is heavy!). That and the people telling me to get
a powertap wheel.

That seems pretty darn shallow to me.

Well, maybe so. I wasn't judging them to others, I just wish they'd
go elsewhere and be quiet.

However, equating an "expensive" bike to "sugar candy",
describing an "expensive" bike as pure vanity, sure sounds
like sour grapes to me.

Well, to be fair they often are (though certainly not always). But
that's no different than any other form of transportation. i.e., After
a certain point you are not spending for core functionality but rather
for bells, whistles and 'prettiness'. And the dividing line for that is
of course subjective.

There, was that wishy-washy enough for you? ;-)

"Sugar candy" isn't the same as "not something that suits my needs",
hence my comment.

I just took it as part of Tom's love of word play and rhymes. Though I
might be wrong and it could certainly be taken that way.

--
Dane Buson -
I think your opinions are reasonable, except for the one about my mental
Old September 18th 07, 11:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Fabrizio Mazzoleni

"Dane Buson" wrote in message

Oh, I've met them. Evidently, I'm not a serious rider because I don't
ride CF bikes (steel is heavy!).

A steel frame is ok if built by De Rosa, Colnago, or Bianchi.

Not ok if 'Made in China'.