Cold weather commuting?

Old September 11th 07, 07:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Default Cold weather commuting?

I just got into biking an hour or so to work each way over the
summer. Tommorrow is supposed to be quite a cold day, 42 F, compared
to the usual balmy weather I have been commuting in. Do I need to
dress differently, or will my body heat quickly rise once I start my
uphill pedalling? I dont have any fancy fabrics, apart from usual
cottons and some 'dry-fit' sports shirts.

Old September 11th 07, 07:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
landotter

On Sep 11, 1:15 pm, wrote:
I just got into biking an hour or so to work each way over the
summer. Tommorrow is supposed to be quite a cold day, 42 F, compared
to the usual balmy weather I have been commuting in. Do I need to
dress differently, or will my body heat quickly rise once I start my
uphill pedalling? I dont have any fancy fabrics, apart from usual
cottons and some 'dry-fit' sports shirts.

I used to cycle an hour or two per day in Chicago winter weather with
no special gear. 42F is nothing. You'll warm up in no time. A good
shell is all you need. A long sleeve something underneath and maybe a
third layer you can take off as needed. Just keep the pace slow enough
to keep from sweating and fast enough to keep warm.

A good shell and warm shoes, and you're good to go. I like Blundstone
boots in the winter. Shined up, they're presentable with pants, and
they're waterproof.

Old September 11th 07, 09:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

On Sep 11, 8:15 pm, wrote:
I just got into biking an hour or so to work each way over the
summer. Tommorrow is supposed to be quite a cold day, 42 F, compared
to the usual balmy weather I have been commuting in. Do I need to
dress differently, or will my body heat quickly rise once I start my
uphill pedalling? I dont have any fancy fabrics, apart from usual
cottons and some 'dry-fit' sports shirts.

Temperature response seems to be very individual in terms of actual
degrees, but it seems to me everyone responds more or less the same
way, just at different thesholds in a way. The only way to find out is
to try for yourself.

You will probably warm up pretty quickly as long as you have some wind
resistant outer layer. Bare skin at 42 isn't going to work for most
people. I'd want gloves too. I like a zip front shell as the zipper
allows adjusting according to temperature.

If you allow yourself to get hot and sweat, and then stop and get
cold, you may be in for some unpleasantness. So regulate your temp
underway.

Here in Norway there is a saying: "There is no such thing as bad
weather. Just bad clothes."

Have fun!

Joseph

Old September 12th 07, 03:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Jorg Lueke

On Sep 11, 7:15 pm, wrote:
I just got into biking an hour or so to work each way over the
summer. Tommorrow is supposed to be quite a cold day, 42 F, compared
to the usual balmy weather I have been commuting in. Do I need to
dress differently, or will my body heat quickly rise once I start my
uphill pedalling? I dont have any fancy fabrics, apart from usual
cottons and some 'dry-fit' sports shirts.

I'm in the same boat for tomorrow AM 39 degrees with 10-15 mph winds.
I'm definitely going with gloves. Sweatpants over the bike shorts and
probably three light layers (jersey/.cotton/windproof shell) up top.
No headgear yet that would still mae me to warm. I do need warmer
socks, my feet were cold even today.

Old September 12th 07, 04:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Jim Flom

wrote in message
ps.com...
On Sep 11, 8:15 pm, wrote:
[...]

Hey, we say that in British Columbia.

--
JF, Norwegian

PS. Santaniello is awfully Italian looking surname for a Norwegian.

http://velominator.spaces.live.com/

Old September 12th 07, 07:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

On Sep 12, 5:10 am, "Jim Flom" wrote:
wrote in message

ps.com...

On Sep 11, 8:15 pm, wrote:
[...]

It is actually an American name, very similar to Ng and, Warshawsky

Joseph

Cold weather Bob Burns General 18 October 31st 06 02:30 PM
Cold Weather Commuting [email protected] General 18 December 21st 05 07:59 PM
FS: Giordana Cold, Cold weather tights, Size 3 [email protected] Marketplace 0 December 12th 05 07:33 PM
FS: Giordana Cold, Cold weather tights, Size 3 [email protected] Marketplace 0 December 12th 05 07:33 PM
cold weather? How cold is it? Max General 14 December 12th 04 08:50 PM