The Pleasure of Bike Riding in Portland, Oregon

Old September 12th 07, 07:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,pdx.general,or.politics,or.general
Paul Berg

Default The Pleasure of Bike Riding in Portland, Oregon

~

A Portland bicyclist was thrilled to encounter a skunk on the
Springwater Corridor Trail, on Monday night as the sun was going down.
"At first I thought it was a little black and white kitten" said the
bicyclist, who preferred to remain anonymous, "I have seen snakes and
turtles and possums and raccoons and heron and eagles and even a deer,
but I did not know we had skunks living in our city. And I had no idea
they were so cute!" The bicyclist stopped to watch the skunk for a
moment and then bicycled home.

~

Poster's comment: The bicyclist must have never biked by City Hall, for
there are a good number of skunks there.

~

Old September 13th 07, 01:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,pdx.general,or.politics,or.general
David L. Johnson

Paul Berg wrote:

Poster's comment: The bicyclist must have never biked by City Hall, for
there are a good number of skunks there.

Apparently the poster knew very little at all about skunks, or he/she
would have done anything but stop and watch.

--

David L. Johnson

A mathematician is a machine for turning coffee into theorems.
-- Paul Erdos
Old September 13th 07, 02:32 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,pdx.general,or.politics,or.general
hal lillywhite

Paul Berg wrote:

A Portland bicyclist was thrilled to encounter a skunk on the
Springwater Corridor Trail, on Monday night as the sun was going down.
"At first I thought it was a little black and white kitten" said the
bicyclist, who preferred to remain anonymous, "I have seen snakes and
turtles and possums and raccoons and heron and eagles and even a deer,
but I did not know we had skunks living in our city.

Skunks live darn near everywhere there is a bit of territory for them
to hide and get something to eat.

Back when I was at Ft Benning in jump school everything was labeled
airborne. The airborne mess hall, the airborne barracks etc. One day
I saw an airborne skunk going under the airborne mess hall.

And I had no idea
they were so cute!" The bicyclist stopped to watch the skunk for a
moment and then bicycled home.

Safe if you do it from a reasonable distance and don't give the
critter reason to feel threatened. IOtherwise you might have
something worse than a serious case of BO.

My father in law, a farmer, once took a direct hit from a skunk. That
was just before he had to go to a church meeting. He didn't have time
to really clean it off so went anyway. Everybody kept commenting on
how close that skunk must be but nobody realized it was him.

Poster's comment: The bicyclist must have never biked by City Hall, for
there are a good number of skunks there.

Yeah but two-legged skunks are not nearly as cute as the four-legged
variety.

Old September 13th 07, 03:47 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,pdx.general,or.politics,or.general

On Sep 12, 8:58 pm, "David L. Johnson"
wrote:
Paul Berg wrote:
Poster's comment: The bicyclist must have never biked by City Hall, for
there are a good number of skunks there.

Apparently the poster knew very little at all about skunks, or he/she
would have done anything but stop and watch.

I've had two VERY close encounters with skunks. One was as a friend
and I were crossing a foggy field in the dark, just before setting up
camp for the night. That skunk passed within about five feet of us.
The other was as my family and I sat at a picnic table in a state park
at dusk, when the skunk walked directly under the table.

In neither case was the skunk smelly, or even nervous. Both times, we
froze immediately, but the animal passed by without incident.

Not that I'd voluntarily tempt that fate!

- Frank Krygowski

Old September 13th 07, 04:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,pdx.general,or.politics,or.general
Mike Jacoubowsky

A Portland bicyclist was thrilled to encounter a skunk on the
Springwater Corridor Trail, on Monday night as the sun was going down.
"At first I thought it was a little black and white kitten" said the
bicyclist, who preferred to remain anonymous, "I have seen snakes and
turtles and possums and raccoons and heron and eagles and even a deer,
but I did not know we had skunks living in our city. And I had no idea
they were so cute!" The bicyclist stopped to watch the skunk for a
moment and then bicycled home.

~

Poster's comment: The bicyclist must have never biked by City Hall, for
there are a good number of skunks there.

I think the point is that life passes by at just the right speed on a bike.
Think about that one for a moment, and whether that might be the way it
really is.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Old September 13th 07, 05:35 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,pdx.general,or.politics,or.general
Lobby Dosser

"David L. Johnson" wrote:

Paul Berg wrote:

Poster's comment: The bicyclist must have never biked by City Hall,

for
there are a good number of skunks there.

Apparently the poster knew very little at all about skunks, or he/she
would have done anything but stop and watch.

Skunks in urban areas are pretty used to people and will not spray
without provocation. Standing watching them is unlikely to provoke them.
If, however, you have a dog with you, you better beat feet! Much more
serious than skunk spray, is the fact that they may be rabid. I'd fear
the bite more than the spray.
Old September 13th 07, 05:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,pdx.general,or.politics,or.general
Lobby Dosser

"Mike Jacoubowsky" wrote:

A Portland bicyclist was thrilled to encounter a skunk on the
Springwater Corridor Trail, on Monday night as the sun was going
down. "At first I thought it was a little black and white kitten"
said the bicyclist, who preferred to remain anonymous, "I have seen
snakes and turtles and possums and raccoons and heron and eagles and
even a deer, but I did not know we had skunks living in our city. And
I had no idea they were so cute!" The bicyclist stopped to watch the
skunk for a moment and then bicycled home.

~

Poster's comment: The bicyclist must have never biked by City Hall,
for there are a good number of skunks there.

I think the point is that life passes by at just the right speed on a
bike. Think about that one for a moment, and whether that might be the
way it really is.

Also kind of sad that someone's first sight of a skunk is not as a child.
Before I was nine I'd seen all of those critters up close and personal
while wandering the woods with friends.
Old September 13th 07, 05:54 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,pdx.general,or.politics,or.general
Curt

"Paul Berg" wrote in message
~

A Portland bicyclist was thrilled to encounter a skunk on the
Springwater Corridor Trail, on Monday night as the sun was going down.
"At first I thought it was a little black and white kitten" said the
bicyclist, who preferred to remain anonymous,

I would too, if I was admitting to a paper I couldn't tell a skunk from a
kitten.

Curt

Old September 13th 07, 06:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,pdx.general,or.politics,or.general

On Wed, 12 Sep 2007 21:54:48 -0700, "Curt" mumbled:

~

Yer about that ****ing stupid.
Old September 13th 07, 06:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,pdx.general,or.politics,or.general
Bill Shatzer

Lobby Dosser wrote:

"Mike Jacoubowsky" wrote:

[...]

Your friends were skunks?