Opinions on two different makes of bikes

Old September 22nd 07, 06:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Default Opinions on two different makes of bikes

I'm looking to buy a new bike in the future (probably next year) and
am particularly interested in two brands: Waterford and Independent
Fabrication. I like steel bikes and really like the styling of these
two.

I have a bit of a flexibility problem due to a four disc spinal fusion
and would have to have something with the bars at least at saddle
height. I do like drop bars because of the different positions
available and also because they just look right on a road bike. I
would want it set up to take at least a 28mm tire with fenders (and
32mm would be nicer). Rack mounts would also be appreciated in case I
ever decide to tour long distances with it. Right now it would only be
overnight trips with a saddlebar and bar bag.

The IF bike would have one significant advantage: I have a dealer
about fifty miles away (I'm way out in the boonies and for me that's
local) while I would have to go 175 miles to St. Louis to find a
Waterford dealer. I've also dealt with the IF dealer in the past (they
sold me my Lemond) and we have a good relationship.

Does anyone have any experience with either of these brands? What are
your likes and dislikes? Would you buy one again? Thanks in advance
for any and all feedback.

Smokey

Old September 22nd 07, 06:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
landotter

On Sep 22, 12:09 pm, wrote:
I'm looking to buy a new bike in the future (probably next year) and
am particularly interested in two brands: Waterford and Independent
Fabrication. I like steel bikes and really like the styling of these
two.

For my money, I'd go for a Gunnar Sport, which is a tremendously smart
and nice frame, also made by Waterford folks, but no lugs and less
fancy finish. It's got a sloping top tube, and with a few spacers on
the fork--you can get those bars up where you need them. Long reach
brakes and eyelets for your other needs:

http://www.gunnarbikes.com/sport.php

$750, frame only

Old September 22nd 07, 07:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

On Sep 22, 12:49 pm, landotter wrote:
On Sep 22, 12:09 pm, wrote:

I'm looking to buy a new bike in the future (probably next year) and
am particularly interested in two brands: Waterford and Independent
Fabrication. I like steel bikes and really like the styling of these
two.

For my money, I'd go for a Gunnar Sport, which is a tremendously smart
and nice frame, also made by Waterford folks, but no lugs and less
fancy finish. It's got a sloping top tube, and with a few spacers on
the fork--you can get those bars up where you need them. Long reach
brakes and eyelets for your other needs:

http://www.gunnarbikes.com/sport.php

$750, frame only

Hey, thanks for the suggestion. Nice looking frame with good
clearances and bar/saddle relationship and I really like that Gunnar
blue color. Best of all, my local dealer carries them.

Smokey

Old September 22nd 07, 10:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Dennis Ferguson

On Sep 22, 12:09 pm, wrote:

I'm looking to buy a new bike in the future (probably next year) and
am particularly interested in two brands: Waterford and Independent
Fabrication. I like steel bikes and really like the styling of these
two.

For my money, I'd go for a Gunnar Sport, which is a tremendously smart
and nice frame, also made by Waterford folks, but no lugs and less
fancy finish. It's got a sloping top tube, and with a few spacers on
the fork--you can get those bars up where you need them. Long reach
brakes and eyelets for your other needs:

http://www.gunnarbikes.com/sport.php

$750, frame only

Hey, thanks for the suggestion. Nice looking frame with good
clearances and bar/saddle relationship and I really like that Gunnar
blue color. Best of all, my local dealer carries them.

Well, if you are still looking at alternatives then, for what it's worth,
I own both a Gunnar Sport and a Co-Motion Nor'Wester, and if I could only
have one of them I'd keep the Nor-Wester. On my bikes (with the same top
tube lengths) it took pretty much the same number of spacers on the
steerer to get the bars up to seat level, and while I have a list of
(very) minor grievances about bits of the Gunnar there is nothing at
all I'm unhappy with on the Co-Motion. I also think the Co-Motion is
prettier, though this is strictly a matter of personal taste.

If I had to pay for them again it might be closer, however, since the
Gunnar was significantly cheaper than the Co-Motion (particularly since
it was a left over 9-speed bike well after Ultegra groups had acquired
a 10th cog), but I'm really very fond of the Nor'Wester.

Dennis Ferguson
Old September 23rd 07, 04:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Ted

I realize this is not one of your suggestions but what about a
Rivendell. All their bikes have the bars at seat height without
spacers, have hardware for racks, are handmade steel, will take quite
wide tires and fenders, and Grant will answer the phone. I don't know
how much adjustment you would have to do with a mail order bike
though.

Ted.

Old September 23rd 07, 04:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

On Sep 22, 10:13 pm, Ted wrote:
I realize this is not one of your suggestions but what about a
Rivendell. All their bikes have the bars at seat height without
spacers, have hardware for racks, are handmade steel, will take quite
wide tires and fenders, and Grant will answer the phone. I don't know
how much adjustment you would have to do with a mail order bike
though.

Ted.

I've considered a Rivendell (probably the A. Homer Hilsen), but would
like to give the business to my local shop. Also, maybe it's just me,
but their bikes seem pretty high priced for what you get.

Smokey

Old September 23rd 07, 04:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Ozark Bicycle

On Sep 22, 10:18 pm, wrote:
On Sep 22, 10:13 pm, Ted wrote:

I realize this is not one of your suggestions but what about a
Rivendell. All their bikes have the bars at seat height without
spacers, have hardware for racks, are handmade steel, will take quite
wide tires and fenders, and Grant will answer the phone. I don't know
how much adjustment you would have to do with a mail order bike
though.

Ted.

I've considered a Rivendell (probably the A. Homer Hilsen), but would
like to give the business to my local shop. Also, maybe it's just me,
but their bikes seem pretty high priced for what you get.

Yeah, but you get all that great prose on their site to reinforce your
purchase decision and make you feel like a smart buyer, even though
you *did* pay ~$2800 for a $1500 bike. And got some weird, hard-to-
find-parts-for wheels and tires in the bargain

Old September 23rd 07, 02:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
landotter

On Sep 22, 10:25 pm, Ozark Bicycle
wrote:
On Sep 22, 10:18 pm, wrote:

On Sep 22, 10:13 pm, Ted wrote:

I realize this is not one of your suggestions but what about a
Rivendell. All their bikes have the bars at seat height without
spacers, have hardware for racks, are handmade steel, will take quite
wide tires and fenders, and Grant will answer the phone. I don't know
how much adjustment you would have to do with a mail order bike
though.

Ted.

I've considered a Rivendell (probably the A. Homer Hilsen), but would
like to give the business to my local shop. Also, maybe it's just me,
but their bikes seem pretty high priced for what you get.

Yeah, but you get all that great prose on their site to reinforce your
purchase decision and make you feel like a smart buyer, even though
you *did* pay ~$2800 for a $1500 bike. And got some weird, hard-to-
find-parts-for wheels and tires in the bargain

A quick browse of their site this morning shows that Grant's gone off
the deep end. Nothing but 650B and for no reason whatsoever, other
than to be contrary. I could respect the guy when he sold a 700c quick
all rounder and a 26" heavy duty tourer, but when you move all your
main models to 650B to be cute, then you can go **** yourself.

Old September 23rd 07, 06:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

wrote:
On Sep 22, 10:18 pm, wrote:

On Sep 22, 10:13 pm, Ted wrote:

[...]

main models to 650B to be cute, then you can go **** yourself.- Hide quoted text -

That is pretty strange. What do you do when you're on tour and need a
650B tube in Bumphuque, Kansas?

Smokey

Old September 23rd 07, 06:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
landotter

wrote:
On Sep 22, 10:18 pm, wrote:

On Sep 22, 10:13 pm, Ted wrote:

[...]

Use a skinny 26" tube after drilling out your rim.

IMO, I'd much rather tour on 26" wheels if I'm going deep into the
heartland. That or 27", as you can still get a 27" tire at the Wally
World.

Bumphuque! Oh, that's the best spelling ever!