Opinions on two different makes of bikes

Old September 24th 07, 03:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Ozark Bicycle

Default Opinions on two different makes of bikes

On Sep 23, 9:32 pm, landotter wrote:
On Sep 23, 9:22 pm, Ozark Bicycle

wrote:
On Sep 23, 5:33 pm, landotter wrote:

On Sep 23, 5:14 pm, Ozark Bicycle

wrote:
On Sep 23, 4:31 pm, Lynne Fitz wrote:

Carry a couple of spares and a patch kit. Don't you do that anyway?
Or use a 26" tube with a Presta valve. It will work just fine.

And if you need a new tire? Or, worse, a wheel or rim? Just hole up at
the Motel 6 until that "special order" from QBP rolls in? And pay
through the nose for good measure?

But if you're on 26" wheels and run over a dropped muffler in Fife
Alabama, some dude in a truck will offer you a wheel offa his *mart
bike he never uses--and it'll get you far enough to get a proper
replacement.

I just can't fathom why somebody would design a bike around this size
other than to be contrary.

1) Niche marketing

2) An attempt to create a company 'identity' ("Rivendell, the 650B
Guys")

3) A way to sell yet another, otherwise very similar, bike, to the
same small customer base.

Sad thing is, The Grant used to inveigh against hard-to-get, non-
standard parts, and now he is promoting a hard-to-get, non-standard
wheel/tire size.

That's the bizarre deal. He used to promote **** in the sense that,
"hey, we'll send you a cassette, and it'll be pretty darn nice" and
used boring but good parts like Sugino XDs and Tektro Oryx cantis.
Cheapish but great parts.

To think I once sorta wanted to get a 700c
rambouillet. Never will I have that thought again--and they've even
discontinued them in order to pimp the Homer Simpson.

Well, at least Homely is a 700C bike.......

It is, then. My bad. I thought it was another 650B abomination.

No, it's an island of relative normalcy on PlanetHobbit, but only
available in larger (58cm and up, IIRC).

I do generally like the same aesthetic is what's funny

I like lugged steel frames, etc., too. But the cutesy poo names, etc.,
that Riv uses are a real turnoff, IMO.

--I'm thinking
of building up a Japanese style brevety thing as my next bike

Hmm......I've a circa 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile frame/fork that
needs an appreciative owner. If interested, email me and I'll give ya
more details.

--but I
just abhor bull****.

I'm with ya there!

Acquaintances of mine that run the local natural
foods store asked why I don't shop there anymore, and I replied
simply, "You sell homeopathic 'medicine', a lie that was exposed a
hundred years ago."

There's no bull**** like recycled, New Age bull****. :-((

Apply to bikes, rinse, repeat.

Old September 24th 07, 04:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Ozark Bicycle

On Sep 23, 9:39 pm, Lynne Fitz wrote:
I don't get pinch flats at all. The joys of being a smaller person.
Another reason I like 650B wheels. The flats I get are from glass or
thorns.

So you *are* saying that 650B tires are somehow magically more
puncture resistant than are "high-pressure 700c tires"!?! All based on
your limited experience (1900 miles) with one pair of 650B tires?

I have had 700c tires explode on me - casing failure. (They weren't
Contis :-) )

I have had a bottle of champagne explode on me - got too cold on a
porch in the winter (it wasn't Perrier-Jouet :-) ). I think it's
equally germane......

That said, I'm happy with my bike(s) and the choices I made. Your
mileage may vary.

Old September 24th 07, 04:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
landotter

On Sep 23, 9:53 pm, Ozark Bicycle
wrote:
On Sep 23, 9:32 pm,me wrote:

--I'm thinking
of building up a Japanese style brevety thing as my next bike

Hmm......I've a circa 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile frame/fork that
needs an appreciative owner. If interested, email me and I'll give ya
more details.

Ooh, sounds nice,really nice, but I've emptied the bike kitty for this
year. Do tell me the size to be cruel. ;-)

I'm gonna be looking for a thriftstore early to mid 80s Japanese sport/
tour specimen casually the next few months. Unfortunately, the fixie
craze has taken this type of bike and decimated the species. Way too
many sawed off mech hangers. What a shame--and I love my fix.

Old September 24th 07, 06:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
JP

"Lynne Fitz" wrote in message ups.com...
I don't get pinch flats at all. The joys of being a smaller person.
Another reason I like 650B wheels. The flats I get are from glass or
thorns.

I have had 700c tires explode on me - casing failure. (They weren't
Contis :-) )

That said, I'm happy with my bike(s) and the choices I made. Your
mileage may vary.

I got a Rambouillet three years ago. Great bike.
Spent the last few months shopping for a new bike
for my wife. Finally decided on another Rivendell which will have
650B's, a tire size that (surprisingly) has showed up in my LBS's.
I'll probably buy another for myself during the next year.

If you can afford it and appreciate quality you'll probably like Rivendell.

If you can't, well maybe you'll knock it like some of the self proclaimed experts.

Old September 24th 07, 07:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
landotter

On Sep 24, 12:34 pm, "JP" wrote:
"Lynne Fitz" wrote in oglegroups.com...
I don't get pinch flats at all. The joys of being a smaller person.
Another reason I like 650B wheels. The flats I get are from glass or
thorns.

I have had 700c tires explode on me - casing failure. (They weren't
Contis :-) )

That said, I'm happy with my bike(s) and the choices I made. Your
mileage may vary.

I got a Rambouillet three years ago. Great bike.
Spent the last few months shopping for a new bike
for my wife. Finally decided on another Rivendell which will have
650B's, a tire size that (surprisingly) has showed up in my LBS's.
I'll probably buy another for myself during the next year.

If you can afford it and appreciate quality you'll probably like Rivendell.

If you can't, well maybe you'll knock it like some of the self proclaimed experts.

So what you're saying is that personal wealth has a magical effect on
a stupid tire size? Dude, you are so ****ing elite, it hurts.

Old September 24th 07, 07:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Ozark Bicycle

On Sep 24, 1:03 pm, landotter wrote:

[...]

"Lifestyles of the Rich and Clueless"? ;-)

Old September 25th 07, 02:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
JP

ups.com...
On Sep 24, 12:34 pm, "JP" wrote:

If you can't, well maybe you'll knock it like some of the self
proclaimed experts.

So what you're saying is that personal wealth has a magical effect on
a stupid tire size? Dude, you are so ****ing elite, it hurts.

"Lifestyles of the Rich and Clueless"? ;-)

Like I said; "Self Proclaimed Experts."

Old September 25th 07, 03:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Ozark Bicycle

On Sep 24, 12:34 pm, "JP" wrote:
"Lynne Fitz" wrote in oglegroups.com...
I don't get pinch flats at all. The joys of being a smaller person.
Another reason I like 650B wheels. The flats I get are from glass or
thorns.

I have had 700c tires explode on me - casing failure. (They weren't
Contis :-) )

That said, I'm happy with my bike(s) and the choices I made. Your
mileage may vary.

I got a Rambouillet three years ago. Great bike.
Spent the last few months shopping for a new bike
for my wife. Finally decided on another Rivendell which will have
650B's, a tire size that (surprisingly) has showed up in my LBS's.
I'll probably buy another for myself during the next year.

If you can afford it and appreciate quality you'll probably like Rivendell.

If you can't, well maybe you'll knock it like some of the self proclaimed experts.

You got me! Everytime I have to ride my custom, hand-built, silver-
brazed lugged steel frame fitted with D-A, Campy, Mavic and other
parts, I just can't get over the fact that what I *really* want is an
over-priced, they-all-look-the-same, mass-produced Japanese frame
fitted out with shellaced cloth bar tape, twine, and some pointless,
weird size wheels. And sold by a master bull****ter.