Calories Burned Question

Old September 22nd 07, 08:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Default Calories Burned Question

I am trying to find a calculator or equation that accurately estimates
calories burned. I have been using the formula of 0.28 cal per pound
per mile, but I am suspicious of the results I get with this.

For example, right now I weigh 250 lbs and can do roughly 21 mph over
a 40k course ( mostly flat, about 500ft climbing total. Also, on a
standard road bike, normal position, no aero bars, normal wheels ).
This would put my calories per mile at 70, and per hour at 1470.
However, if I weighed what I should, 170lbs, to burn the same amount
of calories I would need to average almost 31 mph.( which would make
the calories even higher! due to more wind resistance) Now, I should
be able to burn the same amount, if not more so at the lower weight,
since I've only been training recently for 2 months, so I suspect
either 0.28 is too high or I will be national TT champ next year ( not
too likely, my best 40k was only about 55min at fighting weight. and I
am now 41 yrs old)

Does anyone know of a formula that can adjust for speed as well as
weight?

Old September 22nd 07, 08:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Roger Zoul

wrote:
:: I am trying to find a calculator or equation that accurately
:: estimates calories burned. I have been using the formula of 0.28 cal
:: per pound per mile, but I am suspicious of the results I get with
:: this.
::
[...]

A good rule-of-thumb is around 37 to 42 kcals/mile. Higher side if you're
heavier and/or climbing a lot.

You can download cyclistats and use the program for free for the trail
period. It has the ability to let you enter your weight as well as that of
your bike and gear. Then you can factor in the climbing, type of bike and
position, and wind, if you wish.

www.cyclistats.com

I get nothing for recommending this, I'm just a user.

Old September 23rd 07, 02:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

On Sep 22, 3:55 pm, "Roger Zoul" wrote:
:: weight?

A good rule-of-thumb is around 37 to 42 kcals/mile. Higher side if you're
heavier and/or climbing a lot.

Yes, I think that is close for most riders, but I think the range is
wider than that, especially for heavier riders. I used to use around
40-45 kcal/mile when I was at ~170lbs and it seemed to be pretty
close. I would then add 25 or 33% if I was doing a lot of climbing.

I suspect the problem with using a set rate per pound per mile is
that, even if you are adding weight, there isn't a linear progression
of energy expended, like there would be for walking or running where
there are less confounding factors involved. I would think once you
get the weight moving, there is comparatively less energy used to
maintain the speed, even including going up and down hills and dead
spots in the pedal stroke etc.. I am no physics expert, so I wouldn't
know how to adjust correctly for that, but I suspect that is why the
set number is too high for a heavier rider. ( and that doesn't even go
into the differences per mile at different average speeds due to wind
resistance )

I will try that program and see what kind of numbers it comes up with
at the different weights. I doubt I would pay $50 solely for such
mundane information, but...

Old September 24th 07, 11:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Roger Zoul

wrote in message
ups.com...
On Sep 22, 3:55 pm, "Roger Zoul" wrote:
:: weight?

A good rule-of-thumb is around 37 to 42 kcals/mile. Higher side if
you're
heavier and/or climbing a lot.

Yes, I think that is close for most riders, but I think the range is
wider than that, especially for heavier riders. I used to use around
40-45 kcal/mile when I was at ~170lbs and it seemed to be pretty
close. I would then add 25 or 33% if I was doing a lot of climbing.

My experience is that it is very easy to over count calories used by riding.
I suspect your numbers are too large.

I suspect the problem with using a set rate per pound per mile is
that, even if you are adding weight, there isn't a linear progression
of energy expended, like there would be for walking or running where
there are less confounding factors involved. I would think once you
get the weight moving, there is comparatively less energy used to
maintain the speed, even including going up and down hills and dead
spots in the pedal stroke etc.. I am no physics expert, so I wouldn't
know how to adjust correctly for that, but I suspect that is why the
set number is too high for a heavier rider. ( and that doesn't even go
into the differences per mile at different average speeds due to wind
resistance )

This is all nice to talk about, but impossible to factor into any useful
estimate of calories burned.

I will try that program and see what kind of numbers it comes up with
at the different weights. I doubt I would pay $50 solely for such
mundane information, but...

Well, the program does much, much more than compute calories burned!

Old September 24th 07, 04:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

I will try that program and see what kind of numbers it comes up with
at the different weights. I doubt I would pay $50 solely for such
mundane information, but...

Well, the program does much, much more than compute calories burned!

Yes it does, but I'm not interested in those things. It may be worth
$50 to somebody else, but not to ME

Getting back to the calories, the software calculated my original
example (250lbs/ 24 mi @ 20.5 mph)at 53kcal mile, which seemed pretty
good at first glance. However, the program also makes adjustments for
riding position, and gave the following results:

53 kcal/ mile on the hoods
44 kcal/ mile in the drops
40 kcal/ mile aero bars

It doesn't take a wind tunnel test to know that those adjustments are
way too high. And, indeed, if I adjust the numbers to burning
identical calories in each position, per the software I would ride at
approximately the following speeds:
20.5 mph on the hoods
24 mph in the drops
27 mph aero bars

Those must be the new aero bars, that give you a 20 mph tail-wind .
Does anybody know where they sell these?

Old September 25th 07, 04:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Roger Zoul

wrote:
:::: I will try that program and see what kind of numbers it comes up
:::: with at the different weights. I doubt I would pay $50 solely for
:::: such mundane information, but...
:::
::: Well, the program does much, much more than compute calories
::: burned!
::
:: Yes it does, but I'm not interested in those things. It may be worth
:: $50 to somebody else, but not to ME
::
:: Getting back to the calories, the software calculated my original
:: example (250lbs/ 24 mi @ 20.5 mph)at 53kcal mile, which seemed pretty
:: good at first glance.

Interesing. You're moving along pretty quickly for someone of your weight.
I'd be quite happy if I could move along at that pace over 24 miles. I
weigh 235lbs.

:: However, the program also makes adjustments for
:: riding position, and gave the following results:
::
:: 53 kcal/ mile on the hoods
:: 44 kcal/ mile in the drops
:: 40 kcal/ mile aero bars
::
:: It doesn't take a wind tunnel test to know that those adjustments are
:: way too high.

Why?

:: And, indeed, if I adjust the numbers to burning
:: identical calories in each position, per the software I would ride at
:: approximately the following speeds:
:: 20.5 mph on the hoods
:: 24 mph in the drops
:: 27 mph aero bars

Does this seem unreasonable to you because you're a non-pro who is in his
late forties?

::
:: Those must be the new aero bars, that give you a 20 mph tail-wind .
:: Does anybody know where they sell these?

There used to be a site called "Analytical Cycling" or something like that.
They had tools for doing all kinds of calculations of the nature. It may be
what you're looking for. Ah, here it is:

http://www.analyticcycling.com/

they have a "rider areo study" up now, too.

Old September 26th 07, 02:56 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Paul Borg[_2_]

wrote in message
oups.com...
I am trying to find a calculator or equation that accurately estimates
calories burned. (snip)

It's 42 per mile.

Old September 26th 07, 03:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Paul Borg[_2_]

oups.com...