Bicycle Advisory Signs on the 1:20

Old April 20th 07, 01:45 AM posted to aus.bicycle
JoeDe

Default Bicycle Advisory Signs on the 1:20

On both ends of the 1:20, ( climb to Sassafras on Mt Dandenong east of Melb
for those who don't know ) they have an Advisory sign warning motorists of
cyclists next 4 K.
Why when this road, one of Melbournes most popular climbs, is virtually 7K
long? I never can understand logic at times.
Maybe we're supposed to ride off the edge after 4 K.
Well at least there's acknowledgement of the high bicycle use.

Old April 20th 07, 07:25 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Donga

On Apr 20, 10:45 am, "JoeDe" wrote:
On both ends of the 1:20, ( climb to Sassafras on Mt Dandenong east of Melb
for those who don't know ) they have an Advisory sign warning motorists of
cyclists next 4 K.
Why when this road, one of Melbournes most popular climbs, is virtually 7K
long? I never can understand logic at times.
Maybe we're supposed to ride off the edge after 4 K.
Well at least there's acknowledgement of the high bicycle use.

Yes, be thankful for your wrong sign. For the Mt Nebo/Mt Glorious road
in Brisbane, car hoons objected to a proposal for signage - it would
only serve to make their liability obvious when they flew around a
blind corner and shunted a cyclist. Their excuse was that signs were
hazardous (like the forest full of trees at the roadside, I guess) and
that they were distracting. Sheesh!

Donga

Old April 20th 07, 02:28 PM posted to aus.bicycle
byron27[_46_]

Donga Wrote:
On Apr 20, 10:45 am, "JoeDe" wrote:
[...]

i find the signs touching but really, road rules are road rules and
you respect other road users irrespective as to whether there is a sign
or not.

Obviously in the real world that doesn't happen, so i guess the signs
are a great idea!!

--
byron27

Old April 21st 07, 10:20 AM posted to aus.bicycle
PeteSig

"JoeDe" wrote:

On both ends of the 1:20, ( climb to Sassafras on Mt Dandenong east of
Melb for those who don't know ) they have an Advisory sign warning
motorists of cyclists next 4 K.
Why when this road, one of Melbournes most popular climbs, is virtually 7K
long? I never can understand logic at times.

Maybe these advisory signs are the responsibility of the local council. The
top half of the 1:20 falls into the Shire of Yarra Ranges, while the bottom
half is in the City of Knox. Each has a sign to cover just their section of
the road, perhaps. Is there a separate warning sign at the council boundary?

--
Cheers
Peter

~~~ ~ _@
~~ ~ _- \,
~~ (*)/ (*)

Old April 22nd 07, 09:31 AM posted to aus.bicycle
ProfTournesol[_15_]

JoeDe Wrote:
On both ends of the 1:20, ( climb to Sassafras on Mt Dandenong east of
Melb
for those who don't know ) they have an Advisory sign warning motorists
of
cyclists next 4 K.
Why when this road, one of Melbournes most popular climbs, is virtually
7K
long? I never can understand logic at times.
Maybe we're supposed to ride off the edge after 4 K.
Well at least there's acknowledgement of the high bicycle use.

they were probably the only signs in the council cupboard:-)

--
ProfTournesol

Cycling signs Tony Raven UK 1 November 5th 05 08:49 PM
A rant from the Chair of the Pedestrian Bicycle Advisory Group Claire Petersky General 14 May 10th 05 06:12 AM
I will treat red lights and stop signs like yield signs Willy West Social Issues 8 August 12th 04 05:06 PM
no uni signs einrad_traum Unicycling 6 July 8th 04 05:19 AM