$500 road bike?

Old June 27th 04, 12:14 PM
ProfTournesol

Default $500 road bike?

some friends of mine want to spend $500 on a new bike for their 14 year
old son. I know you can't get a great bike for that price but anything
would be better than what he had before! I know that there are hybrids
around at that price, but does anyone know of any rideable road bikes
(700C wheels, drop bars etc.) at that price?

Old June 27th 04, 12:23 PM
Steve

Malvern Star were selling some Silhouette models a couple of months ago
about $350 Shimano 2200 gears ,700C wheels , alloy parts , hiten steel
frame. Have some but in darkest WA.
Steve
www.idealcycles.com

Old June 27th 04, 12:30 PM
gclark8

2004 Giant OCR3 is on special, not quite at $500aus, try Schwinn
from Rebel Sport on half price special, try Apollo as well, they
should be close.

Old June 27th 04, 12:50 PM
D&M Johnston

"ProfTournesol" wrote in message
some friends of mine want to spend $500 on a new bike for their 14 year
old son. I know you can't get a great bike for that price but anything
would be better than what he had before! I know that there are hybrids
around at that price, but does anyone know of any rideable road bikes
(700C wheels, drop bars etc.) at that price?

Actually a good time to get good specials on any mass production bikes

whether it be a road, hybrid or mtb, so I'd be hitting as many shops as
possible to get the best deal as the 2005 models will be on display in a few
months and it is TAX TIME folks......lots of bike shops ready to do
stocktake.

Old June 28th 04, 08:47 PM
DRS

"K" wrote in message

On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 11:14:59 GMT, ProfTournesol
wrote:

some friends of mine want to spend $500 on a new bike for their 14
year old son. I know you can't get a great bike for that price but
anything would be better than what he had before! I know that there
are hybrids around at that price, but does anyone know of any
rideable road bikes (700C wheels, drop bars etc.) at that price?

Keep an eye on MBC's end of year/model promos. You might luck a Sora
or even full Tiagra closeout for that if you're not fussy on colour or
brand.

The cheapest road bike on their web site is a 14-speed Apollo for $599, but
then again they don't put everything online.

--

A: Top-posters.

Old June 29th 04, 02:20 AM
BG

If u want second hand i have a 2001 giant OCR3 for sale sora sti , triple
chainring yellow/black size S (44) small adult
for $400 Perth

wrote:

some friends of mine want to spend $500 on a new bike for their 14
year old son. I know you can't get a great bike for that price but
anything would be better than what he had before! I know that there
are hybrids around at that price, but does anyone know of any
rideable road bikes (700C wheels, drop bars etc.) at that price?

Keep an eye on MBC's end of year/model promos. You might luck a Sora
or even full Tiagra closeout for that if you're not fussy on colour or
brand.

The cheapest road bike on their web site is a 14-speed Apollo for $599,

but
then again they don't put everything online.

--

A: Top-posters.