Electronic Shifting

Old March 10th 06, 06:32 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

Default Electronic Shifting

It just won't die. It ought to.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?...006/news/03-09

-Cosmo
http://cyclocosm.com

Old March 10th 06, 10:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

wrote:
It just won't die. It ought to.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?...006/news/03-09

Wireless electronic shifting is a necessary step, a logical
evolution from radios and earpieces. Fogies young and old
complain about the radios and the DS yammering in the
riders' ears, but wait until the DS is actually shifting the
riders' bikes for them. If Bjarne decides Ivan needs to
attack, he presses a button and pow, Ivan's got to step
it up if he wants to keep turning over the pedals. It can
work in reverse too - I'm sure there have been times
where Ballerini wished he could downshift some
freelancing member of the Azzuri.

You might say that this is another corporatist step in
ruining the romance of the sport and the element of
human judgement, but don't get all Old Europe on me
all of a sudden. You bought this technological
revolution when you threw away your last Sachs freewheel.

Ben
has disassembled a Sachs freewheel, while riding

Old March 10th 06, 07:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

wrote:
It just won't die. It ought to.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?...006/news/03-09

-Cosmo
http://cyclocosm.com

I can just hear it on a weekend ride...

"Anyone have a spare battery?"

Give me old reliable any day.
Old March 11th 06, 03:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

I just don't see any possible benefit to electronic shifting. Just
more complexity. Maybe I'm missing something. Is there any possible
benefit?

Funny, I remember saying the same thing about index shifting when it
came out!

Old March 11th 06, 07:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

RicodJour wrote:

I'd just _love_ to see what a tech-savvy tifosi could do to **** up
their sweetie's rivals.

Not a damn thing. The NSA will have satellites everywhere preventing
it. Tech-savvy tifosi most definitely qualify as terrorists and will be
watched.
Old March 11th 06, 08:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

Brian S wrote:

I can see it as a benefit to someone with deformed hands(from an
accident or from a birth defect) that don't have much hand strength or
fine motor control, but really, how can this help most of us out? It
sounds like someones novel idea to make us upgrade again and yet another
thing that can go wrong.

Handicapped shifting....hoo boy. Please don't let that get out. Next
thing you know some **** head politico looking to make a name for
himself will try to get it signed into law for handicap access.

Does anyone have any idea what the pros are for having electronic
shifting? A lot of new ideas are brushed aside because of tradition or a
lack of wanting to try new things, but this one really eludes me.

I think we should go back to the old ways where the hired guy ran next
to the bike and shifted for them. Much more genteel.

Old March 11th 06, 12:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

On 10 Mar 2006 09:17:31 -0800, "RicodJour"
wrote:

I just don't see any possible
benefit to electronic shifting.

The rider could have multiple shift buttons, enabling shifting with
less hand movement, or even no hand movement, from the tops, hoods,
drops, tt bars, etc.

JT

Remove "remove" to reply
Visit http://www.jt10000.com

Front shifting issues on a half-step setup Joe LoBuglio Techniques 1 June 10th 05 01:56 AM
Campy shifting problem & chain/cassette replacement Fran and John Techniques 1 January 16th 05 04:33 PM
New bicycle idea Bob Marley General 49 October 7th 04 05:20 AM
Touchy front shifting on Ultegra triple Dave Techniques 9 November 30th 03 04:17 PM
Uncrisp shifting terrapin Techniques 3 August 21st 03 11:51 PM