commuting... bike shorts ... underwear - learning experience.

Old February 23rd 05, 05:13 PM
Velo Psycho

Default commuting... bike shorts ... underwear - learning experience.

I commute 12 miles each way by bike to and from work. Its just
wonderful. Of course, the attention deficit guy in me always manages
to forget SOMETHING.

So, I leave a belt, a pair of shoes, shirts, suits, etc. at work.
Today, for the first time, I forgot to bring underwear.

So here I am... slathered in chamois butter... panicked. Do I wear my
bibs all day long, under my suit? Or do I go commando, and chamois
buttr my pants?

I tried option A for about 20 minutes. Then I had to pee. You know
how when you have to thread your unit up over the bibs, because there's
no other way to get the pipe out without getting naked? But then,
there's always a bit of back-pressure that has to let off? Yeah... so
I got pee all over my shirt. Nice....

Therefore, my conclusion is that no matter how liberally you applied
the chamois butter that morning, if you forget to bring underwear, go
commando and have your suit drycleaned.

Old February 23rd 05, 05:34 PM
S o r n i

Velo Psycho wrote:
[...]

First of all, WAY too much information.

Second, chamois butter for a COMMUTE? Never even occurred to me to use it
for my first century a few weeks ago.

Third, why not pack a little "just in case" case and leave it in your
office.

Finally, got a urologist?

HAND, BS (no, really)

Old February 23rd 05, 05:55 PM
Jay Beattie

"Velo Psycho" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Why do you lube your butt for a 12 mile commute -- or at all? --
Jay Beattie.

Old February 23rd 05, 06:23 PM
Velo Psycho

Jay Beattie wrote:

Why do you lube your butt for a 12 mile commute -- or at all? --

Because it feels soooooo gooooood! I'd use chamois buttr for a 1 mile
jaunt to the liquor store!

Plus... 12 miles to work, 12 miles back, every day, it can add up on
the ol' choad.

Old February 23rd 05, 06:59 PM

you need the rythem method.
i am putting this here thing here now
repeat
dewdew...

Old February 23rd 05, 09:12 PM
Leo Lichtman

"S o r n i" (clip) First of all, WAY too much information. (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I agree. If that foul-up happened to me, I wouldn't tell ANYBODY. (Is
there a verbal equivalent of an exhibitionist?)

Old February 24th 05, 01:57 AM
Andy Morris

Velo Psycho wrote:
So here I am... slathered in chamois butter... panicked. Do I wear my
bibs all day long, under my suit? Or do I go commando, and chamois
buttr my pants?

How much do you put on?

--
Andy Morris

AndyAtJinkasDotFreeserve.Co.UK

Love this:

Old February 24th 05, 05:22 AM
Tom Sherman

Velo Psycho wrote:

[...]

Under boundary lubrication conditions, where sliding and vibration occur
(such as the posterior to saddle interface), molybdenum disulfide grease
is superior to chamois butter.

--
Tom Sherman - Earth

Old February 24th 05, 05:56 AM
huffyrider

"Velo Psycho" wrote in message
oups.com...

Jay Beattie wrote:

Why do you lube your butt for a 12 mile commute -- or at all? --

Because it feels soooooo gooooood! I'd use chamois buttr for a 1 mile
jaunt to the liquor store!

Plus... 12 miles to work, 12 miles back, every day, it can add up on
the ol' choad.

My commutes about the same distance. Some days with certain shorts the Bag
Balm must be applied...can't say it really feels THAT great though,
especially at the *crack* of dawn.
hr

Old February 24th 05, 06:19 AM
David L. Johnson

On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 08:13:24 -0800, Velo Psycho wrote:

So here I am... slathered in chamois butter... panicked. Do I wear my
bibs all day long, under my suit? Or do I go commando, and chamois
buttr my pants?

I guess I wouldn't understand, since I never use the stuff myself, but why
is it necessary to use chamois buttr [sic] for a 12-mile commute?

A commute is not a race. For 12 miles I can see the shorts, since you'll
want to change anyway, but you don't need to go the whole 9 yards.

When I started riding again, about 10 years ago, and did a
hillclimb-commute, I would change into shorts for the long uphill home.
But that gets tiresome. These days I certainly don't bother with shorts
for the commute, and my standard commuter even has platform pedals so I
don't have to bother with cycling shoes. Now, my commute is short, but I
still think you are over-doing it.

Therefore, my conclusion is that no matter how liberally you applied the
chamois butter that morning, if you forget to bring underwear, go
commando and have your suit drycleaned.

Not a pleasant thought.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | Accept risk. Accept responsibility. Put a lawyer out of
_`\(,_ | business.

Bike rack [email protected] General 9 April 22nd 05 02:50 AM
Still Looking for a bike [email protected] UK 19 September 5th 04 10:25 AM
How old were you when you got your first really nice bike? Brink General 43 November 13th 03 11:49 AM
Considering a Road bike for commuting... good idea? Mike Beauchamp General 116 August 18th 03 11:44 PM
Considering a Road bike for commuting... good idea? Mike Beauchamp Techniques 95 August 18th 03 11:44 PM