Trek Soho 1.0 and others

Old July 9th 08, 04:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
mkr5000

Default Trek Soho 1.0 and others

I haven't been on one yet but from what I read about it, this may be
the bike for me.

I'm a mid life dude and plan on using the bike on city streets
probably more than nice bikeways and 2 things that are foremost are --

NO flats and comfort.

And I mean NO flats. (or the very least odds anyway).

One bike I rode that felt great was a Cannondale adventure3 but I
hated the shift mechanism.

I want durability, RELIABILTY and comfort.

Maybe I should look at this Soho? ....but what else, while I'm at
it?

Did I mention NO flats?
Old July 9th 08, 04:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Mike Jacoubowsky

"mkr5000" wrote in message
|I haven't been on one yet but from what I read about it, this may be
| the bike for me.
|
| I'm a mid life dude and plan on using the bike on city streets
| probably more than nice bikeways and 2 things that are foremost are --
|
| NO flats and comfort.
|
| And I mean NO flats. (or the very least odds anyway).
|
| One bike I rode that felt great was a Cannondale adventure3 but I
| hated the shift mechanism.
|
| I want durability, RELIABILTY and comfort.
|
| Maybe I should look at this Soho? ....but what else, while I'm at
| it?
|
| Did I mention NO flats?

The Soho has done really well for us. We went primarily with the Soho 2
model, for the disk brakes (an advantage for those who will commute during
the rain, and a lot of our customers are buying those bikes because they
really, seriously, think they're going to leave their cars in the garage and
ride their bikes to work, rain or shine). The biggest issue is finding one;
the Trek Soho and 7.X FX series bikes have pretty much dried up.

Best bet is to take one for a ride and see what you think. The right bike is
the one that has that something about it that makes you want to ride it,
every chance you get. A lot of that will come down to how carefully the shop
fits it to you and assembles it etc.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Old July 9th 08, 06:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
di

"mkr5000" wrote in message
I haven't been on one yet but from what I read about it, this may be
the bike for me.

I'm a mid life dude and plan on using the bike on city streets
probably more than nice bikeways and 2 things that are foremost are --

NO flats and comfort.

And I mean NO flats. (or the very least odds anyway).

One bike I rode that felt great was a Cannondale adventure3 but I
hated the shift mechanism.

I want durability, RELIABILTY and comfort.

Maybe I should look at this Soho? ....but what else, while I'm at
it?

Did I mention NO flats?

No flats? That's not possible when riding on city streets, You can
reduce them with liners, a thick plastic liner that fits between the tube
and the tire. I've tried slime in the tubes and all it does is make almost
impossible to patch a tube when you do have a flat. The liners have worked
very well, but I still have a flat occasionally.

Old July 9th 08, 07:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Paul O

mkr5000 wrote, On 7/9/2008 11:25 AM:
snip
NO flats and comfort.

snip

What exactly is a nitric oxide flat?

--

Paul D Oosterhout
I work for SAIC (but I don't speak for SAIC)

Old July 10th 08, 02:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
mkr5000

Well, from what I've read the Kevlar tires are vastly superior when it
comes to puncture resistance?

Isn't that what's on the Soho?

What other bike feature these or I suppose I can get them on any bike?

What tire manufacturer should I look at if I wanted these installed?

THANKS.
Old July 11th 08, 02:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Sherman[_2_]

mkr5000 wrote:
I haven't been on one yet but from what I read about it, this may be
the bike for me.

I urge everyone to boycott this bicycle and any others with trendy names.

I liked it better when Trek just used numbers.

Old July 11th 08, 05:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Bellsouth Ijit 2.0 - 'Roid Rage Edition ®

"Tom Sherman" wrote in message
mkr5000 wrote:
I haven't been on one yet but from what I read about it, this may be
the bike for me.

I urge everyone to boycott this bicycle and any others with trendy names.

I liked it better when Trek just used numbers.

You mean you don't want a Cove Handjob?

Old July 12th 08, 03:35 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Sherman[_2_]

mkr5000 wrote:
I haven't been on one yet but from what I read about it, this may be
the bike for me.

I urge everyone to boycott this bicycle and any others with trendy names.

I liked it better when Trek just used numbers.

You mean you don't want a Cove Handjob?

Does is come with Snafu Rim Job tires?

"People who had no mercy will find none." - Anon.
Old July 12th 08, 07:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Ryan Cousineau

You're gonna want some of Kona's Jack**** pedals on that, too.

Old July 18th 08, 10:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Dane Buson

mkr5000 wrote:
Well, from what I've read the Kevlar tires are vastly superior when it
comes to puncture resistance?

They're a little better. If you're really serious about no flats you
need to use Schwalbe Marathon Pluses. I've ridden about twenty thousand
miles on mine with a total of two flats. Both from 1.5" nails. Tire
liners or slime are other options, though slime is better in areas with
Goat head thorns where nothing else works.

--
Dane Buson -
Take your work seriously but never take yourself seriously; and do not