Eddy Merckx Century value ?

Old July 17th 06, 07:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.marketplace
sammm

Default Eddy Merckx Century value ?

A friend of mine has an Eddy Merckx Century road bike she wants to
sell. I have no idea how old it is. The frame has a sticker stating it
is made out of Columbus tubing. It has Shimano 600 components and Mavic
wheels. Any one have an idea of its worth? Thanks in advance! Sam.

Old July 17th 06, 11:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.marketplace
Tom Kunich

"sammm" wrote in message
ups.com...
A friend of mine has an Eddy Merckx Century road bike she wants to
sell. I have no idea how old it is. The frame has a sticker stating it
is made out of Columbus tubing. It has Shimano 600 components and Mavic
wheels. Any one have an idea of its worth? Thanks in advance! Sam.

It would probably sell for about $300-$400. But your area may be less.

Old July 20th 06, 08:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.marketplace
sammm

It would probably sell for about $300-$400. But your area may be less.

Anyone else? The bike is located in the DFW Texas area if that makes
any difference.

Old July 21st 06, 07:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.marketplace
Jim

Eddy Merckx Century is worth $700 to $800. It's a VERY nice riding bike. How
old is it? STI 8 speed or old Shimano 600 7 speed downtube shifters? Or
still older Shimano 600 6 speed? How large is it? Mid sized bikes are worth
more because most riders are mid-sized. Post some pix, please!
Jim
oups.com...

Old July 21st 06, 02:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.marketplace
Qui si parla Campagnolo-www.vecchios.com Qui si parla Campagnolo-www.vecchios.com is offline
Banned

sammm wrote:
A friend of mine has an Eddy Merckx Century road bike she wants to
sell. I have no idea how old it is. The frame has a sticker stating it
is made out of Columbus tubing. It has Shimano 600 components and Mavic
wheels. Any one have an idea of its worth? Thanks in advance! Sam.

Nothing at all....take the shimno stuff off, sell that, send the
'worthless' frame to me...I'll pay for shipping-

Old July 21st 06, 02:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.marketplace

sammm wrote:
It would probably sell for about $300-$400. But your area may be less.

Anyone else? The bike is located in the DFW Texas area if that makes
any difference.

Not much if you take all the stuff off and sell it on ebay g:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Eddie-Merckx-Cen...QQcmdZViewItem

--D-y

Old July 21st 06, 03:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.marketplace
sammm

Thanks to all for the replies. I will try to get some more details
about the bike and post some pictures this evening.

Old July 21st 06, 06:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.marketplace
Tom Kunich

"sammm" wrote in message
oups.com...
Thanks to all for the replies. I will try to get some more details
about the bike and post some pictures this evening.

Samm. here's the problem - you can't post pictures here. Moreover, reading
the BS posted here is likely to mislead you as to the value of what you
have.

The old 600 stuff is essentially worthless. The wheels are worth a pitance.
The frame has some value in pristine condition which yours probably isn't.

The Columbus stickers - what color are they? Gold means top of the line
tubing. Silver means good tubing. White means bottom of their line which is
still excellent tubing.

In any case, getting more than $300-400 for an older bike is possible only
if you find the right buyer at the right time. And that's pretty rare.

Eddy Merckx is a good riding bike but not an especially in-demand collectors
item. I watched a 7-11 team bike in flawless condition with unused DuraAce
(the initial 8-speed STI stuff) sit in a shop with a $1000 price tag on it
for 4 months before someone bought it and the group itself was worth more
than the price.

Old July 21st 06, 11:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.marketplace
sammm

I saw the bike again and got some more info off of it.

It has Mavic MA-40 rims. Look pedals. Dura-Ace cranks, front derailer
and hubs. Shimano 600 (7 speed) rear derailer, brakes and shifters. The
Columbus TSX decal is gold. It measures ~23.5" from the center of the
crank to the top of the seat tube (~59 cm)

Old July 24th 06, 07:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.marketplace

Tom Kunich wrote:
Samm. here's the problem - you can't post pictures here. Moreover, reading
the BS posted here is likely to mislead you as to the value of what you
have.

Well, I'll agree with TK that someone is posting misleading BS.

http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-EDDY-MER...QQcmdZViewItem

The parts on the bike might actually take away value. For one thing,
presenting a "bare" frame shows that the seatpost and/or stem are not
corroded solid into place. Plus shipping considerations (from Belgium,
too, on this bike!) incl. cost and potential damage from sharing a box
with hard-edged objects. This especially counts with a desirable frame
such as an Eddy TSX, one of the better "draws" in vintage (gag me)
steel frames. But, no, "it's never certain" what a potential buyer
might want.

Your Dura Ace wheels might bring $100 plus shipping all by themselves,
if in real nice condition.
--D-y

Stage 2 Bob Schwartz Racing 3 May 8th 06 07:10 PM
question on SLX NEW Tubing on Eddy Merckx frameset Pablo Pinchasso Techniques 3 October 12th 05 03:01 PM
FS: 54cm Eddy Merckx frame, fork, Shimano headset Frank Marketplace 2 August 10th 05 12:24 PM
FS: Eddy Merckx Arcobolena Frame/Fork 58CM Mike Marketplace 0 May 21st 05 10:16 PM
An open letter to Lance Armstrong DiabloScott Racing 19 August 2nd 04 01:16 AM