Do the "facility-of-the-month" photos work?

Old April 23rd 08, 07:08 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Ed Treijs

Default Do the "facility-of-the-month" photos work?

Hi;

I'm in Toronto Canada and just the other day browsing uk.rec.cycling I found
out about the Facility of the Month pictures at:
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/pete.me...onth/index.htm

Bicyclists in Toronto are peeved at bollards placed on a busy waterfront
trail (and also one of the few good commuter routes in that part of the city).
The bollards act mainly to protect the drivers of vehicles crossing the path
to enter or leave the parking lot of a fairly upscale club. For instance,
see http://www.ibiketo.ca/node/1536 or just google for "bollards boulevard
club martin goodman".

Alas, although both I and a cycling group brought the issue to the city's
Cycling committee, the city staff did the usual city staff bureaucratic spin/
mumble/obfuscate.

Do you have better luck in the UK? Do the atrocities pictured in the WCC's
site actually get fixed? Are the authorities shamed into action, or do they
just continue to mumble?

It's also the case that most of the bollards we deal with in Toronto are
probably quite amenable to an angle grinder, never mind the plasma cutter.

.....Ed
Old April 23rd 08, 07:31 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Paul Boyd[_2_]

On 23/04/2008 19:08, Ed Treijs said,

Do you have better luck in the UK? Do the atrocities pictured in the WCC's
site actually get fixed? Are the authorities shamed into action, or do they
just continue to mumble?

No, these don't work in the sense you mean. The local authorities that
design these "facilities" actually use FotM sites as a guide to what
they believe to be good practise ;-)

Have you seen http://www.warringtoncyclecampaign.co.uk/ ?

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/
Old April 23rd 08, 07:49 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Martin Dann

Ed Treijs wrote:
Hi;

I'm in Toronto Canada and just the other day browsing uk.rec.cycling I found
out about the Facility of the Month pictures at:
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/pete.me...onth/index.htm

Bicyclists in Toronto are peeved at bollards placed on a busy waterfront
trail (and also one of the few good commuter routes in that part of the city).
The bollards act mainly to protect the drivers of vehicles crossing the path
to enter or leave the parking lot of a fairly upscale club. For instance,
see http://www.ibiketo.ca/node/1536 or just google for "bollards boulevard
club martin goodman".

There are a few that have been changed, but that is more likely due to
local campaigning, rather than being on FotM. You could try submitting a
picture of these to FotM.

I don't know how the legal system works in your province, but if a wheel
chair can't fit between these, then you could use disability
discrimination legislation, if such a beast exists.

Martin.
Old April 23rd 08, 08:22 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Clinch

Ed Treijs wrote:

Do you have better luck in the UK? Do the atrocities pictured in the WCC's
site actually get fixed? Are the authorities shamed into action, or do they
just continue to mumble?

I don't know about individual cases, but I think FotM is doing some
good because it does break out into national press coverage from
time to time, and that gets egg on folks' faces and they don't like
that.

Locally here my impression is that the council are learning, and
things I and others have moaned about do seem to get addressed, at
least in subsequent designs.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
Old April 23rd 08, 08:58 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
naked_draughtsman[_3_]

On Wed, 23 Apr 2008 20:08:32 +0200, Ed Treijs wrote:

Do you have better luck in the UK? Do the atrocities pictured in the WCC's
site actually get fixed? Are the authorities shamed into action, or do they
just continue to mumble?

Generally no but some of the more well known ones (e.g. the phone box in
the cycle lane) got sorted out.

peter
Old April 23rd 08, 09:05 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Don Whybrow

naked_draughtsman wrote:
On Wed, 23 Apr 2008 20:08:32 +0200, Ed Treijs wrote:

Do you have better luck in the UK? Do the atrocities pictured in the WCC's
site actually get fixed? Are the authorities shamed into action, or do they
just continue to mumble?

Generally no but some of the more well known ones (e.g. the phone box in
the cycle lane) got sorted out.

Didn't the Harlow Dismount-athon also get cleared up?

--
Don Whybrow

Sequi Bonum Non Time

If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing to do is stop
diggin'.
Old April 23rd 08, 09:07 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Helen Deborah Vecht

naked_draughtsman typed

On Wed, 23 Apr 2008 20:08:32 +0200, Ed Treijs wrote:

Do you have better luck in the UK? Do the atrocities pictured in
the WCC's
site actually get fixed? Are the authorities shamed into action, or
do they
just continue to mumble?

Generally no but some of the more well known ones (e.g. the phone box in
the cycle lane) got sorted out.

peter

The phone box in the cycle lane (my submission AAMOF) might have been
removed because BT are removing phone boxes wholesale anyway.

The green bin was still in the 'colour co-ordinated cycle facility' last
weekend.

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Old April 23rd 08, 10:10 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tom Crispin

On Wed, 23 Apr 2008 19:31:04 +0100, Paul Boyd
wrote:

On 23/04/2008 19:08, Ed Treijs said,

Do you have better luck in the UK? Do the atrocities pictured in the WCC's
site actually get fixed? Are the authorities shamed into action, or do they
just continue to mumble?

No, these don't work in the sense you mean. The local authorities that
design these "facilities" actually use FotM sites as a guide to what
they believe to be good practise ;-)

Better not submit this:
www.johnballcycling.org.uk/photos/cyclelane
Just think of all those promised upgrades to the canal tow paths
around the Olympic stadium in Stratford.
Old April 24th 08, 08:44 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Dave Larrington

In ,
Don Whybrow tweaked the Babbage-Engine to tell
us:
naked_draughtsman wrote:
On Wed, 23 Apr 2008 20:08:32 +0200, Ed Treijs wrote:

Do you have better luck in the UK? Do the atrocities pictured in
the WCC's site actually get fixed? Are the authorities shamed into
action, or do they just continue to mumble?

Generally no but some of the more well known ones (e.g. the phone
box in the cycle lane) got sorted out.

Didn't the Harlow Dismount-athon also get cleared up?

Yes.

--
Dave Larrington
http://www.legslarry.beerdrinkers.co.uk

Old April 24th 08, 09:42 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
bugbear

Tom Crispin wrote:

Better not submit this:
www.johnballcycling.org.uk/photos/cyclelane