Weird Scam.....Anyone seen this?

Old November 9th 04, 03:25 PM
Terry Deshler

Default Weird Scam.....Anyone seen this?

I've listed my bike for sale on Craigslist.org a couple of times.
Each time I list it I get someone from outside the US that wants the
bike. Each time, they want to send me way more than the bike is worth
and the balance of the money is to go to their shipper to pay for the
shipping. The last time, I received a call from an AT&T operator and
'spoke' to the buyer. The call was being translated like the person
on the other end was deaf...they'd type something in and the operator
would read it back to me. This most recent 'buyer' wanted to send me
$3,000 for a $400 bike. I was to Western Union the balance ($2,600)
to the shipper who'd come pick up the bike and ship to
????Ireland?????

Has anyone seen this before. I suspect it's either a way to launder
money of to get an item that can be stuffed with ???drugs??? or
something before shipping. Anyway, I'd be interested to hear if
anyone has had a similar experience.
Old November 9th 04, 03:36 PM
Tim Lines

Terry Deshler wrote:

[...]

Have you seen this?

http://seattle.craigslist.org/about/scams.html

--

--------------------

Remove CLOTHES to reply
Old November 9th 04, 03:56 PM
Dave Thompson

Terry Deshler wrote:
[...]

*It's a scam*. They don't want your bike, just your money.

The idea is for them to send you a"cashiers check" for more than the sales
price. You would then deposit the check in your bank, withdraw the "excess
funds" and Western Union them to the "shipper'. Several weeks later the
"cashiers check" would come back to your bank as 'counterfeit' or
'fraudulent' and your account would be debited that amount. Hence you would
be out the money you sent plus the amount of the "cashiers check".

The "cashiers check" they send is **counterfeit**, often a good one. ANY
time someone offers to *pay you more than the sales price*, requires the
*use of Western Union*......*it is a scam!*

Think about it...would you send someone $3000 for a $400 bike and then ask
*please send the money to me?* Not likely.

Old November 9th 04, 05:10 PM
Alex Rodriguez

In article ,
says...
[...]

If you read the warning on Craigs list, you would know what this is. This
is a scam. As far as the opertor call goes, deaf folks who have the teletype
machine and call someone without one can use an operator to read out the
screen to the person they are calling. So the scammers invested in this
machine. What you can do is tell them to go ahead and send the money and
that you will release the bike only after the funds have cleared your bank
in two weeks. You may even want to get your local authorities involved and
have them at your house when the 'shipper' comes to pick up the bike and money.
What is usually done is that they use a fake, or stolen, money order to pay
for the bike.
----------------
Alex

Old November 9th 04, 05:42 PM
Dave Thompson

Alex Rodriguez wrote:
In article ,
says...
[...]

Alex: The "shipper" *never* shows up, that's part of the ploy. The thing
the scammers try to do is to get the victim to send the "excess funds" to
them via Western Union. If this is done, the receiver of the Western Union
money is not traceable. The scammers don't want anything *but* the victims
money.

So, then there is two ways to play this. One, the best, is to simply ignore
requests like the OP has received, they go nowhere. Or secondly, which I
personally like, is to play along with the scammers to the point where they
will send me the check. They have to spend money to buy these counterfeit
checks and spend some relatively serious money to have the checks FedEx
Expressed from Nigeria (the base of most of these scams). I have collected
$63,000.00 face value of these counterfeit "cashiers checks". Now I'm trying
to figure out an artsy way of dispaying them, so I can impress my friends
with my casual attitude towards money when they come over. "Oh, I'll get
around to cashing those someday, if I ever need the money".

Old November 9th 04, 06:47 PM
Tom Paterson

From: "Dave Thompson"

So, then there is two ways to play this. One, the best, is to simply ignore
requests like the OP has received, they go nowhere.

Or secondly, which I
personally like, is to play along with the scammers to the point where they
will send me the check. (snip)

I have collected
$63,000.00 face value of these counterfeit "cashiers checks". Now I'm trying
to figure out an artsy way of dispaying them, (snip)

Problems might be unlikely, but with the new Big Brother laws (supposedly
looking for "terrorist" money), I'd be less inclined to do other than "let it
be". Maybe inform authorities at most (I'm sure they're busy elsewhere) but
you've left a trail of emails, and you are in possession of some fraudulent
pieces of paper. Someone might not get the "joke", and that might include the
scammers. FWIW. --TP

Old November 9th 04, 06:58 PM
JimLane

Dave Thompson wrote:

I have collected
$63,000.00 face value of these counterfeit "cashiers checks". Now I'm trying
to figure out an artsy way of dispaying them, so I can impress my friends
with my casual attitude towards money when they come over. "Oh, I'll get
around to cashing those someday, if I ever need the money".

Bathroom wall paper? ;-)

jim
Old November 9th 04, 07:07 PM
John Rees

"Dave Thompson" wrote in message
news | Alex Rodriguez wrote:
> [...]
| requests like the OP has received, they go nowhere. Or secondly, which
| personally like, is to play along with the scammers to the point where
they
| will send me the check. They have to spend money to buy these
counterfeit
| checks and spend some relatively serious money to have the checks
FedEx
| Expressed from Nigeria (the base of most of these scams). I have
collected
| $63,000.00 face value of these counterfeit "cashiers checks". Now I'm
trying
| to figure out an artsy way of dispaying them, so I can impress my
friends
| with my casual attitude towards money when they come over. "Oh, I'll
get
| around to cashing those someday, if I ever need the money".

I say play along.t don't cash the checks, and big brother won't care.

Also, someone who has posted here has a web page with pictures of all
these fancy checks, I wish I stil had the url.

Old November 9th 04, 08:16 PM
Steve

Yep and I just got burned by this guy so DONT send the money, he's not legit!
Email me and Ill go in to detail but beware of this scheme, it's very clever!!

Old November 9th 04, 09:09 PM
Dave Thompson

John Rees wrote:
"Dave Thompson" wrote in message
news
Alex Rodriguez wrote:
In article ,
says...
[...]

Here is the URL to the thread that I participated in, where I posted a pic
of some of the checks I'd received.
http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=9385 This was an early pic
with only about $47,000.00 in bad paper.
Note how good the checks look, *except* for the one in the upper right
corner. It has *VOID* all over it. Apparently they tried to copy it with a
copier. No one said that bad guys are necessarily bright.