Front brake hanger

Old January 14th 06, 06:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Front brake hanger

Ok, since it's raining I'm putting together my new 'cross/commuter bike.
I'm having trouble finding a front brake hanger. Basically I'd like
one with a cable adjuster built-in and that works on 1 1/8 threadless,
and if possible with a deep drop. I can find of ones for threaded
steerers with a cable adjuster, but none for threadless. IRD makes a
nice drop one, it's pretty expensive and it doesn't have a cable
adjuster. And I looked through the QBP stuff on Harris Cyclery's site
and only found one for threaded steerers.

I'll send an NOS 10 year old Clement latex 26 x 1.75 inner tube (if I
can find it) to the first person that points me in the right direction.

Greg
--
"All my time I spent in heaven
Revelries of dance and wine
Old January 14th 06, 06:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

G.T. wrote:

Ok, since it's raining I'm putting together my new 'cross/commuter bike.
I'm having trouble finding a front brake hanger. Basically I'd like
one with a cable adjuster built-in and that works on 1 1/8 threadless,
and if possible with a deep drop. I can find of ones for threaded
steerers with a cable adjuster, but none for threadless. IRD makes a
nice drop one, it's pretty expensive and it doesn't have a cable
adjuster. And I looked through the QBP stuff on Harris Cyclery's site
and only found one for threaded steerers.

I'll send an NOS 10 year old Clement latex 26 x 1.75 inner tube (if I
can find it) to the first person that points me in the right direction.

Tektro make them in a couple of sizes. No adjuster, but I've never
needed one on the front. They clamp on with a grub screw so can be
used for threaded or threadless headsets.
Old January 14th 06, 10:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

G.T. wrote:
Ok, since it's raining I'm putting together my new 'cross/commuter bike.
I'm having trouble finding a front brake hanger. Basically I'd like
one with a cable adjuster built-in and that works on 1 1/8 threadless,
and if possible with a deep drop. I can find of ones for threaded
steerers with a cable adjuster, but none for threadless. IRD makes a
nice drop one, it's pretty expensive and it doesn't have a cable
adjuster. And I looked through the QBP stuff on Harris Cyclery's site
and only found one for threaded steerers.

Tektro have one with a reasonably deep drop. It doesn't have
an adjuster, but you could add the kind of adjuster that has a
collar riding on the thread (so it doesn't require the hanger to
be threaded itself). Of course that eats up some of the drop.

One nice thing about top-mounted Runkel style auxiliary brake
levers is that many of them have cable adjusters built in.
So if you use these, you don't need an adjuster on either
front or rear hanger.

Old January 14th 06, 11:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Zog The Undeniable wrote:
G.T. wrote:

Ok, since it's raining I'm putting together my new 'cross/commuter
bike. I'm having trouble finding a front brake hanger. Basically I'd
like one with a cable adjuster built-in and that works on 1 1/8
threadless, and if possible with a deep drop. I can find of ones for
threaded steerers with a cable adjuster, but none for threadless.
IRD makes a nice drop one, it's pretty expensive and it doesn't have a
cable adjuster. And I looked through the QBP stuff on Harris
Cyclery's site and only found one for threaded steerers.

I'll send an NOS 10 year old Clement latex 26 x 1.75 inner tube (if I
can find it) to the first person that points me in the right direction.

Tektro make them in a couple of sizes. No adjuster, but I've never
needed one on the front. They clamp on with a grub screw so can be
used for threaded or threadless headsets.

How do you generally adjust for pad wear? Front pad wear slow enough
that it doesn't bother you? Or do you have another way to adjust the cable?

Thanks,
Greg

Old January 15th 06, 02:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

G.T. wrote:
Ok, since it's raining I'm putting together my new 'cross/commuter bike.
I'm having trouble finding a front brake hanger. Basically I'd like
one with a cable adjuster built-in and that works on 1 1/8 threadless,
and if possible with a deep drop. I can find of ones for threaded
steerers with a cable adjuster, but none for threadless. IRD makes a
nice drop one, it's pretty expensive and it doesn't have a cable
adjuster. And I looked through the QBP stuff on Harris Cyclery's site
and only found one for threaded steerers.

IRD and an inline cable adjuster. Or the QBP one and a cable adjuster,
inline.

Old January 16th 06, 02:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Sat, 14 Jan 2006 10:20:36 -0800, "G.T." wrote:

Ok, since it's raining I'm putting together my new 'cross/commuter bike.
I'm having trouble finding a front brake hanger. Basically I'd like
one with a cable adjuster built-in and that works on 1 1/8 threadless,
and if possible with a deep drop. I can find of ones for threaded
steerers with a cable adjuster, but none for threadless. IRD makes a
nice drop one, it's pretty expensive and it doesn't have a cable
adjuster. And I looked through the QBP stuff on Harris Cyclery's site
and only found one for threaded steerers.

I'll send an NOS 10 year old Clement latex 26 x 1.75 inner tube (if I
can find it) to the first person that points me in the right direction.

Greg

The euro-crossers are using the sort of cable stop/adjuster that is made to go
on the seat binder bolt and clamping it under one of the handlebar cap bolts on
the front of the stem. some add a right angled noodle from a V-brake to make for
really sleek cable routing.

Ron

Correct Braking Proceedure Saxman UK 83 October 29th 05 08:15 AM
Front brake + wet = Whoops! Euan Australia 2 August 9th 05 11:32 AM
Tyre Pressure Peter McCallum Australia 25 June 2nd 05 10:39 AM
Front brake shuddering! Bad wheels??? Pizza Man Mountain Biking 15 October 3rd 04 04:35 AM
Backwards front brake? Andrew Sweetman Techniques 3 March 23rd 04 01:07 AM