Slow down rusting of chain

Old September 14th 18, 01:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
David Scheidt

Default Slow down rusting of chain

Emanuel Berg wrote:

:It might have something to do with the
articular chain as well; mine is a KMC Z8RB.

RB means 'rust buster'; they, or at least the side plates, are hot
dip galvanized, ot prevent rust.

:I think it is intended for 8 piece casettes,
:but it works fine for my 5 piece
:Shimano Positron.

I use a similar one on my IGH bike, they work fine, and are cheap. I
even use one on my beater, which has an eight speed free hub.

--
sig 35
Old September 14th 18, 09:17 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sepp Ruf

Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Thursday, 13 September 2018 14:58:42 UTC-4, AMuzi wrote:

no bad effects YET! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEQ_xPWm-Mc

Rely on just one chain only to keep a little rescue pod from crashing into a
15-ton gondola? Bad idea!
https://www.stol.it/var/ezflow_site/storage/images/media/images/bildverwaltung/artikel_chronik_im_ueberblick_chronik/zugspitze-seilbahn-schaden/21273684-1-ger-DE/Zugspitze-Seilbahn-Schaden_artikelBox.jpg

Heck with that. Check out the video "Super Fast!!" that comes up at the
end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVbwngNoHm0

But where is the flashy accident?!

I wonder what rpm they're pedaling at? The guy standing moves about
whilst the guys are spinning and therefore you know that video wasn't
just sped up.

Switch to 0.25 speed; watch and count. Could be close to 250 peak.
Old September 14th 18, 09:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sepp Ruf

Sepp Ruf misfactored:

Switch to 0.25 speed; watch and count. Could be close to 250 peak.

No, that's too high. But 250+ watts fersur.

Old September 14th 18, 04:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Thursday, September 13, 2018 at 1:08:27 PM UTC-7, David Scheidt wrote:
jbeattie wrote:

:I rode home last night in a torrential downpour. In one place, my pedals were under water. True Old Testament commute -- or the MidWest. Keeping any lubricant on the chain in that kind of weather is almost impossible.

This was my commute about a month ago:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DkB69POWsAA--a-.jpg

If both pedals aren't subrmerged at the same time, it's not
torrential.

--
sig 14

I don't have a drain hole in my BB, so if I get into water that deep, I have to pull the crank and shake out the water. On a stupid whim, I rode a fully submerged MUP that had been inundated by the Willamette River. I was almost swimming in one place. I had to drop the fork and dry out the headset. This spot (bad picture) http://bikeportland.org/wp-content/u...riverpoint.jpg When dry: https://tinyurl.com/ybcl99kp looking from the other direction: https://tinyurl.com/y8vpq944 The river is avoidable. Some of the street lakes aren't, but the inch-an-hour type rainfall is a rarity. This is not NC.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old September 14th 18, 04:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 9/14/2018 4:17 AM, Sepp Ruf wrote:
Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Thursday, 13 September 2018 14:58:42 UTC-4, AMuzi wrote:

no bad effects YET! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEQ_xPWm-Mc

Rely on just one chain only to keep a little rescue pod from crashing into a
15-ton gondola? Bad idea!
https://www.stol.it/var/ezflow_site/storage/images/media/images/bildverwaltung/artikel_chronik_im_ueberblick_chronik/zugspitze-seilbahn-schaden/21273684-1-ger-DE/Zugspitze-Seilbahn-Schaden_artikelBox.jpg

Heck with that. Check out the video "Super Fast!!" that comes up at the
end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVbwngNoHm0

But where is the flashy accident?!

I wonder what rpm they're pedaling at? The guy standing moves about
whilst the guys are spinning and therefore you know that video wasn't
just sped up.

Switch to 0.25 speed; watch and count. Could be close to 250 peak.

I timed Captain Dan Henry at 200 rpm on rollers when he was well into
his 70s. (Old timers may remember him. He did roller riding
demonstrations in which he would disrobe down to his shorts. This was
back before "clipless" pedals, and he didn't use toeclips.)

And I timed my grandson at 175 rpm on a 12" wheel bike back when he was
four years old.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old September 14th 18, 06:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_2_]

jbeattie wrote:

[...]

Got caught in a storm a few weeks ago. I needed to replace my tires so
I was doing that while in the basement watching tv. When I pulled the
rear tire off it splashed water all over the carpet. The front one had
some water as well. Never had that before...
Old September 14th 18, 08:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

jbeattie wrote:

[...]

I normally won't do deep water on a road. I'd be too worried about
unseen holes, etc. I've crossed streams with a mountain bike, but never
more than about 6" deep, IIRC.

On one tour (Ireland, the wettest experience of my cycling life) we had
no alternative but to ride a flooded portion of road. The water was
maybe 6" deep, not quite up to our bottom brackets. I sort of
ratchet-pedaled across, keeping my feet dry. My wife and daughter just
cranked through it and laughed about it.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old September 15th 18, 06:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tosspot[_3_]

On 9/12/18 2:54 AM, Radey Shouman wrote:
Ralph Barone writes:

snip

I tried bacon grease and paraffin, but it kept attracting bears.

Try bear grease, that'll teach 'em.

applause

De-rusting Bike Seat-Post Veganeric Techniques 13 March 3rd 10 07:58 PM
de-rusting bike chains & sprockets? Ablang Techniques 9 July 29th 08 03:18 AM
Rusting spokes BigBen Techniques 5 August 4th 06 03:22 AM
Rusting on a new bike Dave B UK 15 October 13th 05 09:25 PM
Crank rusting... andrew_carter Unicycling 5 December 15th 03 11:05 PM