Four SoCal Forest Plans

Old October 4th 05, 11:29 PM

Default Four SoCal Forest Plans

Hello All, Jim Hasenauer here. The Final Southern California Forest
Plans EIS have just been released. Recall that while they did planning
together, per regulation, now each forest (Los Padres, Angeles, San
Bernardino and Cleveland) is releasing its own individual plan. The
plans are readable and searchable at:
http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/scfpr/projec.../openhouse.htm

There will be a number of public workshops explaining the plans
beginning October 11. Their times and locations is at the same url.
I've posted the schedule at the bottom of this alert.

I've looked the plans over and they look very good for us. The forest
was responsive to some of our most important concerns. Their language
about mountain bicycling in both the plans and the responses to
comments was very positive and fair-minded. This is a credit to the
high road commitments, partnerships and involvement of the mountain
bike community.

There may still be some problem with some trails in some proposed
Wilderness (If you ride these areas, please check this out). Remember,
that only Congress can designate Wilderness, so if there are problems
with the plan, we still have time to deal with that issue.

The Forests chose alternative 4A which was a modification of the
preferred alternatives they put out for comment in summer 2004 (4 for
the Angeles, Los Padres and San Bernardino and alternative 2 in the
Cleveland). Alternative 4A emphasizes recreation and acknowledges that
managed recreation is consistent with good conservation practices. The
modifications were in response to public comment. Thank you to the many
mountain bikers who participated.

Now, please go to one of the open houses, express your thanks and any
particular concerns to the Forests representatives at the meetings. We
will need to be involved and vigilant as the plan is put into practice.

Here's what it looks like in terms of our comments last year.

1. Critical Biological Areas
The Forests had proposed a designation called "Critical Biological
Area" where there were rare or endangered species or habitat.
Originally they had proposed banning mountain bikes, but allowing
hikers and horses in these areas. IMBA urged the forests to recognize
that bikes were low impact users who were acceptable in such sensitive
areas. The final EIS accepts our position. Bikes will be allowed in
these and all other areas of the forest (except Wilderness and
Experimental Forest) "unless otherwise restricted." This is a major
victory, and will be a foundation for future opportunities in the
Forests (and elsewhere).

2. Designated Trails
Across the nation, the USFS uses the term "designated trails" in
different ways. In the four Southern California Forests, it means
bicycles may only ride official system trails (riding cross country or
on bootleg or social trails is forbidden). We commented that by
limiting bikes to only official system trails, we would lose historical
riding opportunities on the many fine unofficial trails in the Forests.
Equestrians and hikers can use any trails official or not. This is
still a concern.

The Forests feel they have a big problem with cross country riding,
bootleg and social trails and the plans have a great deal of language
about getting these under control. As part of their OHV inventory, all
of the CA forests are currently inventorying all routes (official and
unofficial) used by wheels. At the completion of that inventory, some
of the unofficial routes may be adopted and designated official.

The OHV rule was not intended to deal with mountain bikes, but it's
important that bicyclists look at the OHV inventories as they become
available and make sure every trail we ride is on them. There is talk
in the plans about using the OHV inventory to designate bike routes.
That's not its purpose, but we have to be prepared by making sure our
trails are on the maps.

The Forest Plans do acknowledge that there are many unofficial trails
that mountain bikes ride and suggest that some of these should be
brought into the system. This is something that we have to be
continuously involved with.

3. The PCT. We asked that the Forests consider opening some sections
of the PCT to bikes. This was not addressed, presumably because it was
considered outside of the scope of the plan.

4. Proposed Wilderness. We were concerned that there were some proposed
Wilderness Areas that would close some significant mountain bike
riding. As you know, IMBA's position is that while we can often support
new Wilderness, we cannot support it when significant bike
opportunities are within the Wilderness boundaries. In those cases we
ask for boundary adjustments, alternative designations or corridors.
identified problems with:

a. the Madulce-Buckhorn Proposed Wilderness in the Los Padres (the
Forest acknowledged our concern and adjusted the boundary so that the
Buckhorn trail is outside the new proposed Wilderness

b. the Sugarloaf proposed Wilderness near Big Bear (the Forest changed
its recommendation for Sugarloaf and now will treat it as a Backcountry
non-motorized zone that will allow bikes.)

c. the San Gorgonio Southwest Proposed additions. The Forest now
proposes a smaller addition of Wilderness. We need to examine the maps
and ensure that the trail to little San Gorgonio Peak (#1W08) remains
outside the Wilderness.

The new proposed alternative 4A proposes some new Wilderness areas that
we did not consider last summer. In general the Forest has been very
responsive in making sure our trails are outside the proposed
boundaries (even commenting that trail reroutes should be provided if
access is cut off). When you go to the open houses, please examine the
maps and makes sure that trails we ride are not inside the new proposed
Wilderness areas.

These plans are final. The only recourse for those unhappy with the
plans is to appeal. The Forests ran a good public process, and
generally mountain bicyclists can be satisfied with the final plans.
Thanks again to those who participated.
Here's the schedule of Open Houses:

The four southern California national forests (Angeles, Cleveland, Los
Padres and San Bernardino) have published their revised Forest Land
Management Plans (aka Forest Plans). Mark your calendar! The four
forests will host community open houses to introduce the new Forest
Plans.
Vicinity of Los Padres National Forest
Salinas: October 11, 5:30-8:30pm, Salinas Community Center (Santa Lucia
Room), 940 N. Main St.

Big Sur: October 12, 5:30-8:30pm, Big Sur Lodge Conference Room,
Highway 1
Arroyo Grande: October 13, 5:30-8:30pm, South County Regional Center,
800 West Branch Street
Ventura: October 17, 5:30-8:30pm, Avenue Adult Center, 550 N. Ventura
Avenue
Goleta: October 19, 5:30-8:30pm, Los Padres NF Headquarters, 6755
Hollister Avenue #150 New Cuyama: October 21, 5:30-8:30pm, Cuyama
Elementary School Cafeteria, 2300 Highway 166
Frazier Park: October 22, 10:00am-1:00 pm, Community Center, 300 Park
Drive

Vicinity of Angeles National Forest
Huntington Park: October 13, 6:00-8:00pm, Family Center-Oldtimers
Foundation, 3355 E. Gage Ave.
Rosemead: October 17, 6:00-8:00pm, Garvey Center, 8838 E. Valley
Boulevard.
Santa Clarita: October 18, 6:00-8:00pm, Santa Clarita Activities
Center, 20880 Centre Pointe Parkway
Wrightwood: October 19, 6:00-8:00pm, Wrightwood Community Center, 1275
Highway 2
Claremont: October 20, 6:00-8:00pm, Alexander Hughes Community Center,
1700 Danbury Road
Los Angeles: October 22, 9:00-11:00am, imba Park, 3650 Verdugo Road
Los Angeles: October 22, 2:00-4:00pm, Watts Community Center, 10950 S.
Central Avenue West Covina: October 24, 6:00-8:00pm, West Covina Senior
Center, 2501 E. Cortez Street
Fullerton: November 2, 6:00-8:00pm, Community Senior Multi-Service
Center, 340 W. Commonwealth

Vicinity of Cleveland National Forest
Alpine: October 11, 6:00-8:30pm, Alpine Community Center, 1830 Alpine
Boulevard.
Escondido: October 12, 6:00-8:30pm, East Valley Community Center, 2245
E. Valley Parkway
Ramona: October 18, 6:00-8:30pm, Ramona Community Center, 434 Aqua
Lane,
San Diego: October 21, 6:00-8:30pm, Balboa Park Club, 2150 Pan-American
Road West
Corona: October 27, 6:00-8:30pm, Corona Public Library, 650 S. Main
Street
San Juan Capistrano: October 29, 10:00am -1:00pm, Old Fire Station
Complex, 31421 La Matanza Street
Fullerton: November 2, 6:00-8:00pm, Community Senior Multi-Service
Center, 340 W. Commonwealth

Vicinity of San Bernardino National Forest
San Bernardino: October 12, 6:00-8:00pm, Danny Rhynes Training Center,
4121 Quail Canyon Road
Twin Peaks: October 13, 6:00-8:00pm, Mtn Communities Senior Citizens
Center, 675 Grandview Road
Hesperia: October 19, 6:00-8:00pm, Holiday Inn Express, 9750 Keypoint
Avenue
Fawnskin: October 27, 6:00-8:00pm, Big Bear Discovery Center, 41397
North Shore Drive, Hwy 38
Rancho Cucamonga: October 26, 6:00-8:00pm, Lions Center West, Felipe
Room 9161 Baseline Road
Idyllwild: November 1, 6:00-8:00pm, Idyllwild Elementary School,
Multi-Purpose Rm, 26700 Hwy 243