Kid's 24" hybrid, non-mountain bikes, where to buy in the U.S.?

Old May 22nd 07, 11:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,ba.bicycles
SMS

Default Kid's 24" hybrid, non-mountain bikes, where to buy in the U.S.?

landotter wrote:

Add $25 for duty charges as well. So about $300 when all is said and
done, pretty expensive for a kid's 7 speed bike.

When you go to the total, there is no duty (or it's included). So the
total would be $286 for the 21 speed and $269 for the 7 speed. I
reversed the two prices above.

For that kinda
cabbage, I'd actually buy one of those GMCs and see if I could make it
more kid friendly, or even return it if the quality truly was
appalling. It's not like the Miele is specced any nicer by the looks
of things. I'd probably swap out the bar on the GMC for something more
kid friendly, or add cross extensions. I'm wondering if those twist
shifters would work on a flat bar or some moustache bars...Pricing it
up, you could go flat bar with Tourney shifters, a basic bar, and some
cheapie levers for $30ish extra.

Yes, I was thinking the same thing. I think that those shifters would
work on a flat bar just fine. I think for $200-225 you could turn the
Denali into something decent.

I also think that maybe a step-through frame 13.5" hybrid bike would be
retrofittable by reversing the stem, and maybe by getting rid of the
suspension seat post so the seat could go lower.