Interesting bikes at the Target website.

Old May 23rd 07, 10:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Ozark Bicycle

Default Interesting bikes at the Target website.

On May 23, 7:08 am, dgk wrote:
On 21 May 2007 12:59:08 -0700, landotter wrote:

I sometimes waste a few minutes on the Target or Wally World websites
looking at bikes, as it's a mainstream place to look at trends.
Today's browse saw some pretty fun and funky beach cruisers, which are
a good buy at such a place if you want a real a beater for campus or
something similar.

Saw a couple pretty practical looking bike shaped objects, one was a
pretty normal trekking bike:

http://tinyurl.com/2n5sgo

And a "Cadillac" bike (giggle), with an SA 8 speed hub and drum
brakes!:

http://tinyurl.com/39h4gh

Woohoo! Back rest!

The Wally World site even suggests that we can use their road bike
series for commuting, and not just hanging in the garage! How
unamerican is that? That Schwinn "Varsity" they're selling looks like
it could actually be ridable, compared to the $79 turds they've been
pushing for years.

Not the place I'd get a bike, but if you live in Fife Alabama or
Podunk Arkansas and your community consists of a fry joint and a Wally
World, your choices are getting better.

I just went with a friend to Target to buy a bike three weeks ago. He
has no interest in taking up biking for commuting or touring, he just
wanted something that he could ride through the local parks and some
nice bike (multiuse) trails. So, we got a sort of hybrid/comfort bike
for around $160. He could have paid somewhere around $300 at the bike
shop I use, but frankly he doesn't need to.

This is so true. The notion that someone must go to a "bike shop" and
spend $300+ to get a "decent" bike (and then be "force fed" all those
ace$$ories) discourages people from buying and using bikes.

And, someone who starts out with a modest bike and rides through the
park, etc., has a decent chance of riding more often and further if
they enjoy their early experiences. Doing errands, commuting, riding
with friends, and so on.

The bike works fine. The tires are sensible, almost slicks, which is
pretty smart for urban riding as opposed to the knobbies. The bike is
not overly heavy, the gears and brakes work. Will the brakes work when
it's wet? Maybe, but we won't find out because he isn't going to be
using it when it's wet.

It's a good compromise. It isn't crap, and he doesn't need something
that will last for 20,000 miles because he won't be riding it that
far. He is, at least, on a bike some of the time now.- Hide quoted text -

Interesting bikes at the Target website. landotter General 59 May 25th 07 09:34 PM
Interesting bikes at the Target website. landotter General 0 May 23rd 07 02:03 AM
Interesting Bikes Rich General 1 June 17th 06 12:41 PM
Interesting post on gas prices and bikes Andy Gee General 219 August 27th 05 05:47 PM
Interesting cycling website Buck General 2 August 21st 04 05:03 AM