A public city bike hire scheme will be launched in Adelaide today

Old May 22nd 05, 01:45 AM
Marty

Default A public city bike hire scheme will be launched in Adelaide today

Copied from the ABC news website.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems...5/s1374032.htm

Marty

A public city bike hire scheme will be launched in Adelaide today, which
the City Council says is an Australian first.

The council first considered a public bike program for Adelaide's CBD
four years ago, when it was suggested by Danish urban planner Jan Gehl.

After a drawn-out period of consultation and planning, an initial 40
bikes will become available for use from this morning to provide city
workers and tourists with alternative transport.

The bikes will be free for the first two hours, then charged at an
hourly or daily rate.

Councillor Richard Hayward says it is an exciting first move.

"We've now got a bike system which is the first of its kind in
Australia," he said.

Mr Hayward says Adelaide's climate, parklands, and straight roads make
it ideal for cycling.

He says the program has been a long time coming, but it should expand as
demand increases and cycling facilities improve.

"It took four years, however we pursued it, and pursued it and as a
result, we've now got a bike system which is the first of its kind in
Australia, and I think it's very exciting," he said.

"Adelaide has got a fantastic reputation for a bicycle-friendly city."

Peter Solly from Bicycle SA says the public bike system should improve
cyclist safety.

"We think that more cyclists are going to be good for the city," he said.

"It's going to make it safer for cycling, that's been proved around the
world."

Mr Solly says the organisation is now pushing the South Australian
Government to lift its funding for cycling to match the national average.

"I think the Adelaide City Council has put in some good facilities for
cycling," he said.

"There needs to be a little more done, obviously there can always be
more done.

"They want the city to be recognised as a green city, as does the Premier.

"We think that the Adelaide City Council is showing some good leadership
- we think the State Government needs to follow that."