No applause please, just throw money!

Old May 18th 07, 01:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
dgk

Default No applause please, just throw money!

On 17 May 2007 12:35:33 -0700, rdclark wrote:

On May 17, 12:32 pm, SMS wrote:
Today on Bike to Work Day, I rode my usual commute bike, but for some
reason it generated a lot more interest than usual. At the HP "Energizer
Station" I was delayed by a photographer taking pictures of my lights
and horn. At the Energizer Station staffed by one city's Bicycle and
Pedestrian Commission, they needed a full demo of the system, and I
think one person needed oxygen after I demoed the horn.

Just goes to show that nobody should ride a bike without their
earplugs. Cars have window gaskets windows and soundproofing to
protect their passengers from hearing injuries, but cycists are
exposed and vulnerable.

Studies have shown that as many as 85% of cycling-related hearing
injuries could be prevented by earplug use.

"Air-horns, sirens, jackhammers, and a variety of other urban hazards
present constant threats to the exposed ear," said Lemuel Pennythwait,
spokesperson for the Fair Hearing Coalition. "People on bicycles are
in immediate danger from these noises, because their hands are busy
and they can't cover their ears."

The Coalition is sponsoring legislation to make built-in hearing
protection a mandatory feature for bicycle hellmutts of the future.

Very funny. I got new earphones, cheap ones that came with a new
player, but I haven't used actual in the ear ones before. They really
do block out a lot of sound and they aren't even the noise cancelling
types. I think I do prefer hearing what is going on around me though.

Mostly I listen to talk rather than music though it's hard to say
which is more distracting. I really couldn't do the commute without
something though; 80 minutes each way is too long to be alone with my
thoughts. Very unhealthy.

I think we all agree that reading while biking is a bad idea, so some
noise seems to be a good compromise.

Old May 18th 07, 05:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Chalo

dgk wrote:

Mostly I listen to talk rather than music though it's hard to say
which is more distracting. I really couldn't do the commute without
something though; 80 minutes each way is too long to be alone with my
thoughts. Very unhealthy.

It's called meditation. You should check it out-- it's good for you,
despite your impressions. Focus on your breathing to minimize the
tendency for your mind to generate its own monkey chatter.

Chalo

Old May 19th 07, 05:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
John Kane

On May 17, 12:32 pm, SMS wrote:
[...]

Yes. The text bounces up and down and give me a headache. I have the
same problem in a car.

John Kane, Kingston ON Canada

Old May 22nd 07, 05:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
bookieb

On May 18, 5:56 pm, Chalo wrote:
dgk wrote:

Mostly I listen to talk rather than music though it's hard to say
which is more distracting. I really couldn't do the commute without
something though; 80 minutes each way is too long to be alone with my
thoughts. Very unhealthy.

It's called meditation. You should check it out-- it's good for you,
despite your impressions. Focus on your breathing to minimize the
tendency for your mind to generate its own monkey chatter.

Chalo

Bingo. The monkey chatter is long gone by the time I get to the
office or back home.
My commute is time to clear my head of the worries and problems of the
day.

I enjoy focusing on riding safely and smoothly, and the challange of
riding in heavy traffic.
Outside the city, I enjoy the views, the fresh air and the exercise.

All arguments about how safe/unsafe it is to ride with headphones/
earbuds aside, I tried it for a few days, but I missed the
"downtime", and found it distracting (except the traffic reports - I
enjoyed those as I whizzed past the traffic jams - yes, I am very smug
and self-satisfied when that happens).

Best of all is telling my gym fanatic friends that I get 10 45-minute
cardio workouts a week without taking up any extra time before or
after work, or at the weekends.

regards,

bookieb

A big round of applause to ... Richard Sherratt Australia 8 November 27th 06 05:42 AM
Just to throw in an OT Bill C Racing 37 July 11th 06 05:18 PM
Throw Some Money Away TBF::. Mountain Biking 0 February 6th 05 03:01 PM
think of all the money you lost on lottery tickets....NOW GET THAT MONEY BACK shane General 0 February 5th 05 07:52 AM
Throw Your Old Underwear Away!! maskedriders Unicycling 15 January 21st 04 12:50 AM