New LX prices

Old October 10th 04, 04:56 PM
Pistof

Default New LX prices

Expensive stuff. I don't know how Shimano can justify these prices.

Some prices from Jenson:

f. der. 31
r. der. 57
cassette 49
the new LX cranks is $162 and it's 100 grams heavier than last year's!
sti shifters/levers 217
hubs 30 ea.

For LX quality stuff, these prices seem over the top.

Old October 10th 04, 05:47 PM
Zog The Undeniable

Pistof wrote:

For LX quality stuff, these prices seem over the top.

Yes, but people will still buy it. People buy XTR, and the
price/performance ratio for that group is so ludicrous that it can't be
justified unless you're spending someone else's cash.

Old October 10th 04, 11:05 PM
Matt O'Toole

Pistof wrote:

Expensive stuff. I don't know how Shimano can justify these prices.

Some prices from Jenson:

f. der. 31
r. der. 57
cassette 49
the new LX cranks is $162 and it's 100 grams heavier than last year's!
sti shifters/levers 217
hubs 30 ea.

For LX quality stuff, these prices seem over the top.

Like with cars, they move it upmarket with each new iteration. Also like cars,
the new LX stuff is more bloated looking, to make it look bigger, so you think
you're getting more for your money, and/or to justify the higher price. Note:
a Honda Civic is now bigger than an Accord used to be.

Matt O.

Old October 10th 04, 11:19 PM
tcmedara

Pistof wrote:
Expensive stuff. I don't know how Shimano can justify these prices.

Some prices from Jenson:

f. der. 31
r. der. 57
cassette 49
the new LX cranks is $162 and it's 100 grams heavier than last year's!
sti shifters/levers 217
hubs 30 ea.

For LX quality stuff, these prices seem over the top.

Does that 100g account for the integrated bottom bracket? Compared to the
new XT, this is actually cheaper than I figgered it would be. I anticipated
these coming in around $200. I've been pondering new cranks for a few
months now. I might just have to take the plunge on these.

Tom

Old October 11th 04, 04:52 AM
Ronsonic

On Sun, 10 Oct 2004 17:47:01 +0100, Zog The Undeniable
wrote:

Pistof wrote:

For LX quality stuff, these prices seem over the top.

Yes, but people will still buy it. People buy XTR, and the
price/performance ratio for that group is so ludicrous that it can't be
justified unless you're spending someone else's cash.

What is the best bang for the buck price point out there right now. Bike for
general around town carom with occasional dirt.

Ron

Old October 11th 04, 04:59 AM
A Muzi

Pistof wrote:
Expensive stuff. I don't know how Shimano can justify these prices.
Some prices from Jenson:
f. der. 31
r. der. 57
cassette 49
the new LX cranks is $162 and it's 100 grams heavier than last year's!
sti shifters/levers 217
hubs 30 ea.
For LX quality stuff, these prices seem over the top.

It is worth what people will pay for it.

In a world where you can get a better crank for $69 and a
better BB for $24, who cares? Oh, try changing the gearing
on that overpriced LX turd some day. (It's a four-bolt
abomination)

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org