How long should caliper brake springs last?

Old August 4th 17, 08:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default How long should caliper brake springs last?

On 2017-07-31 20:21, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 7/31/2017 5:50 PM, sms wrote:
On 7/27/2017 6:40 PM, John B. Slocomb wrote:
On Thu, 27 Jul 2017 09:57:44 -0700, sms
wrote:

On 7/27/2017 7:08 AM, AMuzi wrote:

snip

In theory maybe but I've never seen that in real life. Rust is ugly
but
in terms of % reduction of cross section of a spring, it's
meaningless.

The spring is not rusty. But it pops out with no effort, it's just not
springy anymore. It seems to be fatigued.

The brake sets are cleaned and lubed. I may still order some springs to
use these brakes on another road bike which has lower quality
brakes. If
I were in Wisconsin, I'm sure that AMuzi would have the springs in
stock, but the shops in Silicon Valley have little interest in stocking
and selling little parts like this.

Probably because no one but you ever wanted to buy any :-(

Yet they are available online, so clearly someone has wanted them, and
there are instructions online that refer to the need to replace weak
springs.

There are? Where?

The springs? For example he

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Campagno...-/172611044107

Old American saying: If you don't take care of your customer somebody
else will.

AMuzi shows them he http://www.yellowjersey.org/dcbitz.html

By that argument, people must have to replace flat-concave mounting
washers too. Metal fatigue, is it?

Obviously Andrew does take care of his customers. Plus peobably a lot of
other people who were told by their LBS "Just buy a whole new brake".

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old August 4th 17, 11:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

wrote:

[...]

Who knows if one of the zillion shops in the Silicon Valley has an old Diacomp spring. I'm sure SMS hasn't called them all. There are old shops in the Valley that probably have that sort of thing hanging around -- PAB, Cupertino, Wheel-a-Way, etc., etc. George probably has one sitting around. https://www.yelp.com/biz/sloughs-bike-shoppe-san-jose

I don't fault any shop for not carrying a spring from a low-end, 30 year old brake. If I wanted a spring for my old Campy brakes (I don't since they're in a box -- all three pairs), I'd walk across the street from my neighborhood market. http://www.burlingamebikes.com/maintenance-repair/ I've never replaced a brake spring except on an old Paul NeoRetro. If I had a Diacomp, I'd go ratting through a box at the Community Cycling Center. http://tinyurl.com/y7d3tydt Start digging! Or maybe over at Citybikes. http://tinyurl.com/ybgsrz5m More digging! I refuse to believe SCV is the bicycle wasteland SMS claims it to be.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old August 4th 17, 11:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

Also, a good bike shop isn't supposed to just say "Sorry, we don't have
it". They are supposed to say "We could search and possibly order it for
you but it wouldn't be very cheap". That's what my LBS did when I wanted
stanchion protectors for my MTB. "You want WHAT? Ok, I'll try to get
them for you" and he did.

Old August 5th 17, 12:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Sure. Springs pistons washeRS excess from the process

Diddle diddle

Tinker tinker

Which is cool ok learning what

Economically unsound

Unsound in trajectory

Replace unit

Assemble all unit parts , replace

The parts scene also tilts to racers where Part X is said to give more speed when new... ?

The idea yawl weenie hither n yon rebuilding a $20 unit with a $5 spring is nutty caws it's still a worn unit

Old August 5th 17, 01:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

wrote:

[...]

SMS went in through the back door of a closed shop and talked to a mechanic who graciously sold him some nice Ultegra brakes for $50. That's a pretty good bike shop in my opinion. He probably could have haggled him down to $35 -- or simply walked away and gone to shop that was open. I don't expect much service from closed shops. Most of them just say "we're closed." They even have signs that say "closed." I've seen those.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old August 5th 17, 01:35 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

This long Enzoid

goo.gl/266vpB
Old August 5th 17, 02:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

wrote:

[...]

No, Joerg. The instructions.

Where are those instructions online that refer to the need to replace
weak springs.?

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old August 5th 17, 04:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Try a rubber washer shim or plug insert or a fix to plunger

https://www.mcmaster.com/#rubber-plugs/=18svpmt
Old August 5th 17, 04:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

https://www.mcmaster.com/#aramid-washers/=18sw128
Old August 5th 17, 02:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Friday, August 4, 2017 at 11:26:30 PM UTC-4, wrote:
https://www.mcmaster.com/#aramid-washers/=18sw128

https://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-washers/=18t3zeg

Long Reach TekTRo Caliper Brakes Curt Simon Techniques 0 January 20th 09 02:35 AM
FA-Tektro Long Reach Caliper, rear only andy Marketplace 1 November 18th 06 10:00 AM
which way to install brake springs Yarper Techniques 5 November 14th 06 02:29 PM
Caliper Brake Toe in andy Techniques 1 July 11th 06 07:03 AM
WTB shimano R600 long-reach (57 mm) caliper brakes [email protected] Marketplace 0 February 16th 06 08:08 PM