The end of the car is nigh

Old May 24th 11, 03:51 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_7_]

Default The end of the car is nigh

On 24/05/2011 07:02, Doug wrote:
On May 24, 6:41 am, Derek wrote:
On May 24, 6:31 am, wrote:

I gave up car ownership and use when it finally dawned on me what a
terrible hassle and expense it was and had been for many years. It
took time to cure me of the addiction but I persevered. Where was the
fun anyway in driving amid heavy traffic most of the time?

Doug.

You mean that you had to give up driving because you lost your licence
for medical reasons, or because you could no longer afford it.

Nope. It was solely for the reasons stated plus the fact that I felt
rather guilty about poisoning small children on pavements with my
exhaust pollution.

Ah... so YOU yourself were the mysterious driver you keep accusing of driving
on "pavements".
Old May 24th 11, 03:51 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_7_]

On 24/05/2011 08:47, Derek C wrote:
On May 24, 7:02 am, wrote:
On May 24, 6:41 am, Derek wrote: On May 24, 6:31 am, wrote:

I gave up car ownership and use when it finally dawned on me what a
terrible hassle and expense it was and had been for many years. It
took time to cure me of the addiction but I persevered. Where was the
fun anyway in driving amid heavy traffic most of the time?

Doug.

You mean that you had to give up driving because you lost your licence
for medical reasons, or because you could no longer afford it.

Nope. It was solely for the reasons stated plus the fact that I felt
rather guilty about poisoning small children on pavements with my
exhaust pollution.

Since
then you have been banging on about the evils of your former habit
like an ex smoker or a born again Christian. You obviously don't
really enjoy cycling because of the threat of all those 'killer' cars!

Given the thousands of cyclists who are injured by motorists,
including myself on more than one occasion, it is a factor but I try
to put it out of my mind when cycling. You sometimes have to
prioritise personal freedoms over serious risks. I use the somewhat
dubious excuse that the enjoyment and useful exercise provided by
cycling compensates for a shortened life-span, whether due to a
collision or air pollution from cars.

-- .

So what is better, being squashed flat by an HGV tomorrow, or living
for a few extra months in old age, if you survive that long?

What do you mean, "if"?
Old May 24th 11, 03:54 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_7_]

On 24/05/2011 10:08, Simon Mason wrote:

Derek wrote:

So what is better, being squashed flat by an HGV tomorrow, or living
for a few extra months in old age, if you survive that long?

Do you mean like this?
http://www.thisishullandeastriding.c...l/article.html
Maybe she shouldn't have mixed it with the big boys, if you swim with
the sharks...

QUOTE:
A WOMAN is fighting for her life in hospital after her car was crushed
between another car and a lorry at a set of traffic lights. The 41-year-old,
from North Ferriby, suffered serious, life-threatening injuries after the
collision on the A164 at Jocks Lodge, Beverley, last night. She is currently
in the intensive care unit at Hull Royal Infirmary, where she is said to be
in a critical condition.
ENDQUOTE

You once again demonstrate your feelings for your fellow Kingstonians.

No touchy-feely stuff for you, eh?
Old May 24th 11, 11:41 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

On 24/05/2011 07:02, Doug wrote:

Given the thousands of cyclists who are injured by motorists,

1 cyclist KSI in 103,828,002 miles driven. Not worth bothering about is it?

including myself on more than one occasion,

You must be a natural victim.

it is a factor but I try
to put it out of my mind when cycling. You sometimes have to
prioritise personal freedoms over serious risks. I use the somewhat
dubious excuse that the enjoyment and useful exercise provided by
cycling compensates for a shortened life-span, whether due to a
collision or air pollution from cars.

Alas the 'serious risk' from motorists, the 'rammings' and the air
pollution haven't finished you off yt you senile old ****.

--
Dave - Cyclists VOR.
Old May 25th 11, 07:32 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Doug[_3_]

On May 24, 8:47*am, Derek C wrote:
On May 24, 7:02*am, Doug wrote:

On May 24, 6:41*am, Derek C wrote: On May 24, 6:31*am, Doug wrote:

[...]

What is best is a good quality of healthy life for as long as
possible.

While it is now feasible for someone to live indoors indefinitely,
while working and shopping from home and thereby be safer than
venturing onto our dangerous roads and pavements, not only would
quality of life suffer but health too due to a lack of suitable
exercise.

One word of caution though, for those who prefer to stay indoors for
safety's sake. Avoid rooms which face onto roads as motorists have
been known to crash into houses while endangering those inside.

-- .
UK Radical Campaigns.(Recently updated).
http://www.zing.icom43.net
A driving licence is a licence to kill.
Old May 25th 11, 07:38 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Doug[_3_]

On May 24, 11:41*pm, wrote:
On 24/05/2011 07:02, Doug wrote:

Given the thousands of cyclists who are injured by motorists,

1 cyclist KSI in 103,828,002 miles driven. *Not worth bothering about is it?

Given the number of cars on the road and the distance they drive each
day, it is a considerable risk to cyclists.

including myself on more than one occasion,

You must be a natural victim.

What like the thousands of others who are also injured?

* it is a factor but I try

to put it out of my mind when cycling. You sometimes have to
prioritise personal freedoms over serious risks. I use the somewhat
dubious excuse that the enjoyment and useful exercise provided by
cycling compensates for a shortened life-span, whether due to a
collision or air pollution from cars.

Alas the 'serious risk' from motorists, the 'rammings' and the air
pollution haven't finished you off yt you senile old ****.

You would like that wouldn't you. One less anti-car campaigner and
cyclist to bother you. Dream on!

-- .
Carbusters.
http://carbusters.org/
Carbusters is a project of the World Carfree Network.

Old May 25th 11, 07:45 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
PeterG

On May 25, 7:32*am, Doug wrote:
On May 24, 8:47*am, Derek C wrote:

On May 24, 7:02*am, Doug wrote:

[...]

yawn did someone say something? (again & again & again)
Old May 25th 11, 07:50 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
PeterG

On May 25, 7:38*am, Doug wrote:
[...]

You are not a cyclist, you do not care about cyclists, you do not help
cyclists, you are a blinkered idiot who hates cars & hopes to get
cyclists on your side (you don't).
If anything, you have made more people dislike cyclist than anybody
else.
You drive an illegal vehicle & have admitted to being a serial law
breaker, while harping on about others breaking the law.
On the few occasions that anybody agrees with you, you have turnrd on
them as well.
You have even been known to argue with yourself.
Old May 25th 11, 09:36 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tony Dragon

On 25/05/2011 07:50, PeterG wrote:
On May 25, 7:38 am, wrote:
[...]

Friend of yours Doug? He seems to know you.
Old May 25th 11, 10:43 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Keller[_3_]

On Tue, 24 May 2011 23:32:00 -0700, Doug wrote:

One word of caution though, for those who prefer to stay indoors for
safety's sake. Avoid rooms which face onto roads as motorists have been
known to crash into houses while endangering those inside.

Of course this happens every day.

-- .
UK Radical Campaigns.(Recently updated).
http://www.zing.icom43.net
A driving licence is a licence to kill.

I have a driving licence. I kill someone. See how far I would get
explaining myself before the beak! "But -- m'lord -- this bit of paper
gives me the right --"

--
67.4% of statistics are made up.