Could this be the answer to excessive car use?

Old June 23rd 11, 08:23 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mrcheerful[_2_]

Default Could this be the answer to excessive car use?

Doug wrote:
On Jun 22, 8:41 pm, NM wrote:
On Jun 22, 7:22 am, Doug wrote:

Fewer cars does, of course, mean fewer cyclists' deaths and
injuries.

Not necessarily

Almost certainly.

"About a third of drivers have cut down on the number of car
journeys they make because of the cost of motoring, an RAC report
has suggested.

Suggestion, not a fact.

Didn't you bother to read the article?

"...Meanwhile, 65% of drivers said they would have to severely reduce
their car use if fuel prices continued to rise, and 58% said motoring
could become a luxury..."

There is no such thing as excessive car use, cars are used for a
purpose once that has been fulfilled they are parked, there is no
excess.

What about all those unnecessary journeys which are excessive?

Do you still have your killers licence?

Its expired I am glad to say. Why do you ask? Do you still have yours?

If I had to drive again it would worry me to death.

and everyone that knows of you.

Old June 23rd 11, 08:25 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
FrengaX

On Jun 23, 7:17*am, Doug wrote:

What about all those unnecessary journeys which are excessive?

Who are you to judge what is unnecessary and/or excessive?

If I had to drive again it would worry me to death.

You're not the only one
Old June 23rd 11, 09:06 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
PeterG

On Jun 23, 7:05*am, Doug wrote:
On Jun 22, 8:43*pm, NM wrote:

On Jun 22, 11:57*am, Simon Mason wrote:

On Jun 22, 7:22*am, Doug wrote:

Unleaded petrol now averages about £1.37 a litre, with diesel about
£1.42..."

I was glad to fill up with petrol as cheap at 1-36 quid a litre last
night.
The last time I filled up in Germany it was 1-68 Euros a litre for
Shell V-Power 100.
I had to fill up before getting into Netherlands where it was even
more expensive.

As an aside, while I was switching my headlights back to left hand dip
on the ferry approach to the Pride of Hull in Europoort, I heard a
hissing sound.
On closer inspection there was a big nail stuck in my nearside front
tyre - nightmare!
--
Simon Mason

At least you could put the spare on, bike would be ****ed.

Nope. All you need is to carry a can of pressurised Tyreweld, which
seals the puncture and re-inflates the tyre, which probably would have
worked with Simon's car too. Also kevlar tyres helps.

I do wish that people who post to a cycling newsgroup would find out a
little about modern cycling first before posting their uniformed
criticisms of cycling.

Doug.

I do wish that people who post to a cycling newsgroup about motoring
would find out a
little about modern motoring first before posting their uniformed
criticisms of motoring.
Old June 23rd 11, 09:34 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_7_]

On 23/06/2011 07:17, Doug wrote:
On Jun 22, 8:41 pm, wrote:
On Jun 22, 7:22 am, wrote:

Fewer cars does, of course, mean fewer cyclists' deaths and injuries.

Not necessarily

Almost certainly.

"About a third of drivers have cut down on the number of car journeys
they make because of the cost of motoring, an RAC report has
suggested.

Suggestion, not a fact.

Didn't you bother to read the article?

"...Meanwhile, 65% of drivers said they would have to severely reduce
their car use if fuel prices continued to rise, and 58% said motoring
could become a luxury..."

There is no such thing as excessive car use, cars are used for a
purpose once that has been fulfilled they are parked, there is no
excess.

What about all those unnecessary journeys which are excessive?

What is an unnecessary journey (as distinct from one which you don't need to
make)?
Old June 23rd 11, 09:47 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
NM

On Jun 22, 8:50*pm, Simon Mason wrote:
On Jun 22, 8:41*pm, NM wrote:

On Jun 22, 7:22*am, Doug wrote:

Fewer cars does, of course, mean fewer cyclists' deaths and injuries.

Not necessarily

"About a third of drivers have cut down on the number of car journeys
they make because of the cost of motoring, an RAC report has
suggested.

Suggestion, not a fact.

There is no such thing as excessive car use, cars are used for a
purpose once that has been fulfilled they are parked, there is no
excess.

No excess, you say?
So there is nobody who goes "out for a spin" or simply drives for
pleasure anymore?
What a dreadful state of affairs.

--
Simon Mason

Of course they do, pleasure is a valid use of a car.
Old June 23rd 11, 09:50 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
NM

On Jun 22, 9:07*pm, Simon Weaseltemper
wrote:
On 22/06/2011 20:50, Simon Mason wrote:

On Jun 22, 8:41 pm, *wrote:
On Jun 22, 7:22 am, *wrote:

Fewer cars does, of course, mean fewer cyclists' deaths and injuries.

Not necessarily

"About a third of drivers have cut down on the number of car journeys
they make because of the cost of motoring, an RAC report has
suggested.

Suggestion, not a fact.

There is no such thing as excessive car use, cars are used for a
purpose once that has been fulfilled they are parked, there is no
excess.

No excess, you say?
So there is nobody who goes "out for a spin" or simply drives for
pleasure anymore?
What a dreadful state of affairs.

I’ve seen parents load their kids into the car to take them half a mile
or so to school. Then battle for parking and drive home again.
Excessive? I think so, especially when it would have been quicker to
take a leisurely walk.

But are you sure they are going directly back to home, could be they
are en route somewhere? I drive 500 yards to the supermarket but then
go on elsewhere, it takes too long to walk there and back.
Old June 23rd 11, 09:55 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
NM

On Jun 22, 7:22*am, Doug wrote:

Unleaded petrol now averages about £1.37 a litre, with diesel about
£1.42..."

I was glad to fill up with petrol as cheap at 1-36 quid a litre last
night.
The last time I filled up in Germany it was 1-68 Euros a litre for
Shell V-Power 100.
I had to fill up before getting into Netherlands where it was even
more expensive.

As an aside, while I was switching my headlights back to left hand dip
on the ferry approach to the Pride of Hull in Europoort, I heard a
hissing sound.
On closer inspection there was a big nail stuck in my nearside front
tyre - nightmare!
--
Simon Mason

At least you could put the spare on, bike would be ****ed.- Hide quoted text -

News flash - I carry two spare tubes on my bike, so flat tyres are no
problem.

On my car, I didn't use the spare but put some of that Tyre Weld in it
and pumped it up with an 12V electric compressor.
When I got home, the garage couldn't repair the hole due to the
sealant I had used, so I had to buy a new tyre for 200 quid and it was
only 4 weeks old.

--
Simon Mason

Thank you, I had often wondered about this stuff as it comes as
standard issue instead of a spare with Smart Cars of which we as a
family own two. Never had cause to use it as I take care of
maintaining tyres but you can never odds an unexpected nail or in the
case of my missis an unexpected kerb. I shall avoid using it unless
it's urgent.

Seems your super steed has the capacity to carry spares and tools but
not number plates, isn't that odd?

Old June 23rd 11, 10:03 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
NM

On Jun 23, 7:17*am, Doug wrote:
On Jun 22, 8:41*pm, NM wrote: On Jun 22, 7:22*am, Doug wrote:

Fewer cars does, of course, mean fewer cyclists' deaths and injuries.

Not necessarily

Almost certainly.

Evidence?

"About a third of drivers have cut down on the number of car journeys
they make because of the cost of motoring, an RAC report has
suggested.

Suggestion, not a fact.

Didn't you bother to read the article?

It clearly says suggests, I make that a suggestion, how do you read
it?

"...Meanwhile, 65% of drivers said they would have to severely reduce
their car use if fuel prices continued to rise, and 58% said motoring
could become a luxury..."

There is no such thing as excessive car use, cars are used for a
purpose once that has been fulfilled they are parked, there is no
excess.

What about all those unnecessary journeys which are excessive?

If someone is using the car they have paid through the nose for then
whatever the reason they find it necessary so it's not excessive it's
required.

Do you still have your killers licence?

Its expired I am glad to say. Why do you ask? Do you still have yours?

Of course, did yours expire on your 70th birthday or did you send it
back?

If I had to drive again it would worry me to death.

Wouldn't like that to happen.

-- .
UK Radical Campaigns.(Recently updated).
*http://www.zing.icom43.net
A driving licence is a licence to kill.

Old June 23rd 11, 10:16 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_7_]

On Jun 22, 8:41 pm, wrote:
On Jun 22, 7:22 am, wrote:

[...]

Of course he's sure.

He follows them from their homes to school and then back again, every
morning, making notes as to addresses, registration marks, number of
children, times of passage, etc.

And then he repeats the exercise at 15:15. Every day.

He *must* do that, otherwise he'd have no knowledge of that of which he is
speaking.

Old June 23rd 11, 10:26 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tony Dragon

On Jun 22, 8:41 pm, wrote:
On Jun 22, 7:22 am, wrote:

[...]

Indeed, I often used to drive 400 yards to my first job of the day, a
distance I could have walked, mind you the next job could have been 30
miles away.

Excessive Headset Play (Ahead Set) Mike Yankee Techniques 4 July 4th 08 08:50 AM
Johann's non-answer answer Howard Kveck Racing 12 April 27th 07 06:25 AM
Excessive FD spring tension Zog The Undeniable Techniques 0 April 13th 06 09:11 PM
Excessive rim wear? Resound Australia 7 September 7th 05 12:12 AM
what are the effects of excessive trail geepeetee Recumbent Biking 8 April 24th 05 01:04 AM