SRAM Power Link usage

Old September 17th 07, 12:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default SRAM Power Link usage

Hi, everone,

Can anyone please tell me if a SRAM power link (gold) can be used more
than once on a SRAM chain? I think I was either told, or read
somewhere, that it should be used only once. There was no information
on such at SRAM's website. Does anyone have any good, definitive
advice on this?
Thanks in advance,
Richard
Old September 17th 07, 12:54 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

sure. it depends. they all do that
but sometimes they don't.
buy two packs-4 halves. you're gonna loose one.
find old audio speakers and hammer or better burn the magnets out. use
magnets for finding lost sram halves.
hget some colored paper clips at walmart. the coating keeps the clips
flexible. when taking chain off to clean in thinner (reusable poured
into isoproplyl bottle and set in sunlight with cay screwed on tight),
attach and bend clip to link/roller/sram. Rollers run off also:
nothing like loose roller and a loose sram at 7AM.
Examine links shafts after use. You will see wear but the steel is
durable. If you're well off, throw the used link at a poor friend
after the links shows significant wear, if snot keep on using it.
Walmart sells $2 vice grips can be ground using a grinder into a
parrot like beak or Arab nose that'll bend around a roller into the
space between and SRAMKADABRA remove a brand new sram link without
fuss nor bother.
Which is really cool. like, toliet paper.

Old September 17th 07, 04:47 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

the pins wear out. I clean chains to keep driveline efficiency up,
friction down caws the ease of a clean chain is enjoyable where
grinding along 3 gears down from chain grit is snot.
after 3 chains maybe at you know duhduhduh 3-4000 miles+* ,the pin has
a groove or channel worn in and the length of that area assembled into
the running chain exceeds my tolerance for the new chain which has
zero stretch.
worser, sometimes the pin achieves a conical wear pattern which for
sure you should give to your friend.
new links need clean running or the link pliers caws when a new set
with a new chain fills with grit &*&^@!!! it is difficult
dissaamebling fersure. you can spend 1/2 hr no problem soaking the
link with thinner to solve the grit and pulling and squeezing and
pulling and squeezing and then you grind a set of pliers and clink off
it comes then you crawl around on the driveway sweeping the magnet
wondering why in !#@&^%% sram didn't coat links yellow or orange.
now that's a cool drop down menu $4.95 yellow blue orange black,,,

Old September 17th 07, 01:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Qui si parla Campagnolo-www.vecchios.com Qui si parla Campagnolo-www.vecchios.com is offline
Banned

On Sep 16, 5:40 pm, wrote:
Hi, everone,

Can anyone please tell me if a SRAM power link (gold) can be used more
than once on a SRAM chain? I think I was either told, or read
somewhere, that it should be used only once. There was no information
on such at SRAM's website. Does anyone have any good, definitive
advice on this?
Thanks in advance,
Richard

'Used more than once", don't understand. They can be opened and closed
many times but should not be used on a new chain, if the link is an
old one. New chain, new link.

Old September 17th 07, 02:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

Qui si parla -

care to substantiate from empirical data?
or anecdotal data?
deductive or inductive logic?
assumption, divination, heresay, gossip, BS,
something you read, ate, were bitten by,
a tall tale, a biblical source,
transcendent revelation?
you know: what's the story here?

Old September 17th 07, 02:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Thanks, all, for the great and informative answers. I should have been
more specific according to Peter's post. I meant to say that for the
purposes of taking the same chain off- for cleaning in solvent- could
it be resused without fear of it failing somehow? Logic tells me it's
OK but I don't want to be caught out in the wilds with a failed chain
due to re-using a Power Link.

Old September 17th 07, 03:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

dear myst,

using small nosed pliers, double check the reinstallations thru
squeezing the lkinks middle sectiojn inward, gently. thais forces pin
outward and over sidebar flange. Then eyeball pin location in slot.
take a look at the slot with birght light and magnification. pin seats
allllll the way into the outward corner, hiding bar flange and popping
out a bit.
Ifn the link doesn't completely seat, get on the bike and pedal gently
forward. if nothing undue happens, stand on it for a 100' and that'll
seat it or pop it off to start over.