Hundreds line Kingston Bridge to cheer cyclists

Old August 14th 11, 08:05 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_4_]

Default Hundreds line Kingston Bridge to cheer cyclists

"Hundreds of spectators gathered on Kingston Bridge to get a sneak
preview of London 2012 as the London-Surrey Cycle Classic passed
through town. Some people clambered up on the parapets to get a better
view. Police motorbikes regularly swept past to cheers. One rider
stopped and tried to organise a Mexican Wave."

http://www.wandsworthguardian.co.uk/...er_cyc lists/

--
Simon Mason
Old August 15th 11, 10:18 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Judith[_4_]

On Sun, 14 Aug 2011 12:05:09 -0700 (PDT), Simon Mason
wrote:

"Hundreds of spectators gathered on Kingston Bridge to get a sneak
preview of London 2012 as the London-Surrey Cycle Classic passed
through town. Some people clambered up on the parapets to get a better
view. Police motorbikes regularly swept past to cheers. One rider
stopped and tried to organise a Mexican Wave."

http://www.wandsworthguardian.co.uk/...er_cyc lists/

"Police motorbikes regularly swept past to cheers." - perhaps they thought that
a police motorbike was interesting whilst the cycling was ****e.
Old August 15th 11, 06:38 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Paul Clarke

http://www.wandsworthguardian.co.uk/...ds_line_Kingst...

--
Simon Mason

Given the lack of publicity for the road closures & the unnecessary
time some roads were closed, they were jeering not cheering because
they could not make their planned journeys.

"an ambulance with flashing sirens was later turned around. " , as you
could not get across Hampton Court Bridge or across Walton town centre
& much of Richmond was closed down, I wonder how the ambulance got
where it was going.
Old August 15th 11, 07:43 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_7_]

On 15/08/2011 18:38, Paul Clarke wrote:

On Aug 14, 8:05 pm, Simon wrote:

"Hundreds of spectators gathered on Kingston Bridge to get a sneak
preview of London 2012 as the London-Surrey Cycle Classic passed
through town. Some people clambered up on the parapets to get a better
view. Police motorbikes regularly swept past to cheers. One rider
stopped and tried to organise a Mexican Wave."

http://www.wandsworthguardian.co.uk/...ds_line_Kingst...

Given the lack of publicity for the road closures& the unnecessary
time some roads were closed, they were jeering not cheering because
they could not make their planned journeys.

"an ambulance with flashing sirens was later turned around. " , as you
could not get across Hampton Court Bridge or across Walton town centre
& much of Richmond was closed down, I wonder how the ambulance got
where it was going.

Exactly.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-14529320

"Surrey council apologises for pre-2012 bike race road closures"

I dare say that some here will insist that the county council has apologised
simply because it has done nothing wrong and harmed no-one.

I mean, why else would a council apologise?

Old August 15th 11, 08:58 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tony Dragon

On Aug 14, 8:05 pm, Simon wrote:

[...]

The Kingston & Richmond part would be covered by TFL, have they commented?

Old August 16th 11, 01:13 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
roger merriman

Paul Clarke wrote:

On Aug 14, 8:05 pm, Simon Mason wrote:
"Hundreds of spectators gathered on Kingston Bridge to get a sneak
preview of London 2012 as the London-Surrey Cycle Classic passed
through town. Some people clambered up on the parapets to get a better
view. Police motorbikes regularly swept past to cheers. One rider
stopped and tried to organise a Mexican Wave."

http://www.wandsworthguardian.co.uk/...ds_line_Kingst...

--
Simon Mason

Given the lack of publicity for the road closures & the unnecessary
time some roads were closed, they were jeering not cheering because
they could not make their planned journeys.

no it was cheering as my other post, while i'm sure some where anoyed,
people on kingston bridge had sun on there back pub near by etc.

Roger
--
www.rogermerriman.com
Old August 16th 11, 01:24 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_4_]

On Aug 16, 1:13*pm, (Roger Merriman) wrote:
Paul Clarke wrote:
On Aug 14, 8:05 pm, Simon Mason wrote:
"Hundreds of spectators gathered on Kingston Bridge to get a sneak
preview of London 2012 as the London-Surrey Cycle Classic passed
through town. Some people clambered up on the parapets to get a better
view. Police motorbikes regularly swept past to cheers. One rider
stopped and tried to organise a Mexican Wave."

http://www.wandsworthguardian.co.uk/...ds_line_Kingst....

--
Simon Mason

Given the lack of publicity for the road closures & the unnecessary
time some roads were closed, they were jeering not cheering because
they could not make their planned journeys.

no it was cheering as my other post, while i'm sure some where anoyed,
people on kingston bridge had sun on there back pub near by etc.

Roger
--www.rogermerriman.com- Hidequoted text -

At least there were some people in the area who were not selfish
misery guts.

--
Simon Mason

Old August 16th 11, 07:58 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tony Dragon

Paul wrote:
On Aug 14, 8:05 pm, Simon wrote:
"Hundreds of spectators gathered on Kingston Bridge to get a sneak
preview of London 2012 as the London-Surrey Cycle Classic passed
through town. Some people clambered up on the parapets to get a better
view. Police motorbikes regularly swept past to cheers. One rider
stopped and tried to organise a Mexican Wave."

http://www.wandsworthguardian.co.uk/...ds_line_Kingst...

--
Simon Mason

Given the lack of publicity for the road closures& the unnecessary
time some roads were closed, they were jeering not cheering because
they could not make their planned journeys.

no it was cheering as my other post, while i'm sure some where anoyed,
people on kingston bridge had sun on there back pub near by etc.

Is that available in English?

Roger
--www.rogermerriman.com- Hidequoted text -

At least there were some people in the area who were not selfish
misery guts.

--
Simon Mason

So people who could not get tp where they wanted because of the lack of
publicity are 'selfish misery guts', that says something about you.
Old August 17th 11, 08:29 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_4_]

Paul *wrote:
On Aug 14, 8:05 pm, Simon *wrote:
[...]

publicity are 'selfish misery guts', that says something about you.- Hide quoted text -

As I said, the Pope "spoilt" my trip to Zagreb and since I was
brainwashed by nuns and priests from age 5 and am a staunch atheist, I
could have gone off on one about the Catholic church stopping me going
about my business. On the contrary, I videod the Pope and was happy
for the cheering crowd. Live and let live and tolerance are good
traits to have, rather than selfishness.

--
Simon Mason