Does anyone know PM-PM-F/R203 adapters

Old October 19th 17, 12:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default Does anyone know PM-PM-F/R203 adapters

Attention, a purely technical post :-)

Does anyone know whether these adapters are for going from 160mm native
post mount to 203mm rotors?

https://erpimgs.idealhere.com/ImageF...963c864243.jpg

The bellied version (which I'd need) seems to only be available from
Chinese sellers and they either don't understand English or plain don't
know what they are selling. Or both. For example, when I asked the
either-or question whether the adapter is for 160mm to 203mm or for
180mm to 203mm the answer was "No". Refining the question in great
detail resulted in "It's for 203mm". Needless to say, asking for
dimensions so I can calculate it myself is generally fruitless as well.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old October 19th 17, 07:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Wednesday, October 18, 2017 at 4:41:15 PM UTC-7, Joerg wrote:
Attention, a purely technical post :-)

Does anyone know whether these adapters are for going from 160mm native
post mount to 203mm rotors?

https://erpimgs.idealhere.com/ImageF...963c864243.jpg

The bellied version (which I'd need) seems to only be available from
Chinese sellers and they either don't understand English or plain don't
know what they are selling. Or both. For example, when I asked the
either-or question whether the adapter is for 160mm to 203mm or for
180mm to 203mm the answer was "No". Refining the question in great
detail resulted in "It's for 203mm". Needless to say, asking for
dimensions so I can calculate it myself is generally fruitless as well.

The Avid disks are 206's I believe. I placed these adapters on the standard mounts of my Redline and they work perfectly.
Old October 19th 17, 08:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2017-10-19 11:47, wrote:
On Wednesday, October 18, 2017 at 4:41:15 PM UTC-7, Joerg wrote:
Attention, a purely technical post :-)

Does anyone know whether these adapters are for going from 160mm
native post mount to 203mm rotors?

https://erpimgs.idealhere.com/ImageF...963c864243.jpg

The bellied version (which I'd need) seems to only be available from
Chinese sellers and they either don't understand English or plain
don't know what they are selling. Or both. For example, when I
asked the either-or question whether the adapter is for 160mm to
203mm or for 180mm to 203mm the answer was "No". Refining the
question in great detail resulted in "It's for 203mm". Needless to
say, asking for dimensions so I can calculate it myself is
generally fruitless as well.

The Avid disks are 206's I believe. I placed these adapters on the
standard mounts of my Redline and they work perfectly.

You mean you used those PM-PM-F/R203 adapters in the image link above?
Does the Redline have 160mm native posts?

That would be perfect, then they would also work on my MTB. I'd like to
use them for both wheels since both are native 160mm PM for the caliper
mounts. With brake rotors bigger is better.

Slight errors can be fixed by adding washers. If slightly negative my
MTB buddy could grind off a smidgen since he is a tool & die maker and
has machines.

Old October 20th 17, 05:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Thursday, October 19, 2017 at 12:27:58 PM UTC-7, Joerg wrote:
On 2017-10-19 11:47, wrote:
[...]

I didn't pay attention to what the original disk size was supposed to be. The Avids wouldn't fit and I bought the adapters which LOOK just like the one's in your picture and the disks are 206 mm as an approximate estimate with something like 3 3/4 radius using a hand held tape measure.

I bought the hydraulic actuation because the reports on the manual disks was universally bad.
Old October 20th 17, 07:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2017-10-19 11:47,
wrote:
[...]

Looks like now they only have bikes for kids :-)

http://redlinebicycles.com/

You and I are too old for BMX so I assume you have a CX or road bike
from them and those are usually 160mm native.

The Avids wouldn't fit and I bought the adapters which LOOK just
like the one's in your picture and the disks are 206 mm as an
approximate estimate with something like 3 3/4 radius using a hand
held tape measure.

Well, then I'll order two of those.

I bought the hydraulic actuation because the reports on the manual
disks was universally bad.

Hydraulic is clearly better. Some mechanical disc brakes are ok if the
rotors are larger, 7- or 8-inch.

Old October 20th 17, 08:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 2017-10-19 11:47,
Joerg wrote:
[...]

"bikes for kids"
??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzS2G-TBhX4&t=188s

Desmond Rhodes? Mike Escamilla?

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old October 20th 17, 10:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2017-10-19 11:47,
Joerg wrote:
[...]

Once over 50 then every rider under 40 is like a kid :-)

Old November 11th 17, 01:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2017-10-18 16:41, Joerg wrote:
Attention, a purely technical post :-)

Does anyone know whether these adapters are for going from 160mm native
post mount to 203mm rotors?

https://erpimgs.idealhere.com/ImageF...963c864243.jpg

The bellied version (which I'd need) seems to only be available from
Chinese sellers and they either don't understand English or plain don't
know what they are selling. Or both. For example, when I asked the
either-or question whether the adapter is for 160mm to 203mm or for
180mm to 203mm the answer was "No". Refining the question in great
detail resulted in "It's for 203mm". Needless to say, asking for
dimensions so I can calculate it myself is generally fruitless as well.

So, I just dunnit. The front and back wheels of the MTB now both have 8"
or 203mm rotors. Shimano SM-RT66 (SLX Deore) for now, long term I'll be
looking for solid rotors.

Other than the usual swap dance of washers for shimming until it was
just right it was a painless switch. Braking feels nice and sturdy.

Shimano recommends 18 to 35 in-lbs of torque for the rotor bolts. Seems
wimpy and the previous ones sat way tighter, so I gave it a bit more oomph.

While at it I adjusted out the rattle and play that always develops in
the steerer after a few hundred trail miles. Every time I torque down
those tiny stem bolts at the spec'd 44 in-lbs it feels like they'll
strip the threads out any second.

Old November 11th 17, 04:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Friday, November 10, 2017 at 4:47:56 PM UTC-8, Joerg wrote:
On 2017-10-18 16:41, Joerg wrote:
[...]

Shimano has tightening plates on their six-bolt rotors. Avid uses a higher torque spec. 5nm should be plenty to keep your stem and headset tight, but probably not in Cameron Park.

- Jay Beattie.
Old November 11th 17, 07:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2017-10-18 16:41, Joerg wrote:
[...]

All those little things are is a tiny locking lip sticking up for each
screw, pair-wise. That won't hold much. One of the issues with low
torque is the rotor slacking back and forth if you have to hold the bike
from rolling back down a hill, then downhill again, then up, and so on.
Which happens a lot on an MTB. For some reason the manufacturers can't
get the tolerancing in the screws and holes tight enough.

... Avid uses a
higher torque spec. 5nm should be plenty to keep your stem and
headset tight, but probably not in Cameron Park.

It does but only if I smear some grit-laden toothpaste on the fork tube
before sliding on the stem. Not the paste for electric brushing but the
regular paste. What I am saying is that 5nm feels like it's about to
strip the aluminum threads out.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

What hub is this? & Rotor adapters? DaveC General 5 September 13th 09 03:45 AM
What hub is this? & Rotor adapters? DaveC Mountain Biking 5 September 13th 09 03:45 AM
Presta adapters nash Techniques 16 October 31st 06 05:09 PM
Rail Adapters? pdc Unicycling 4 August 8th 05 11:37 AM
Anyone used 1 1/8 to 1" headset adapters? res09c5t Marketplace 4 April 30th 04 03:39 AM