One old person + One young person on a tandem bike

Old May 28th 05, 03:19 PM
Joe Canuck

Default One old person + One young person on a tandem bike

....was spotted yesterday in my neck of the woods.

I was walking along the sidewalk, so nothing competitive going on at
all.

The conversation I was overhearing was something of a running argument
between the two about the pace they were keeping. Apparently one of them
was royally ****ed at the other.

The older person was dressed in jeans, shirt, rubber soled hiking shoes
and of course a helmet.

The younger person had a flamoyant outfit consisting of a cycling
jersey, shorts, athletic shoes and a helmet.

It was the old person complaining about the slow place and the young one
appeared to be huffing 'n puffing.

The old person was male, about 70ish, the young person was female, about
50ish.
Old May 28th 05, 03:51 PM
Maggie

Joe Canuck wrote:
the young person was female, about
50ish.

The young person was 50ish. I think I am in love. What are you
wearing?

Maggie

Old May 28th 05, 03:57 PM
Joe Canuck

Maggie wrote:

Joe Canuck wrote:

the young person was female, about
50ish.

The young person was 50ish. I think I am in love. What are you
wearing?

Maggie

LOL... that actually made me burst out laughing.
Old May 31st 05, 06:25 PM
mort

Funny, but kind of sad as well. I'm picturing a scenario where the two
of them have rented a tandem to see if they like it - the stoker maybe
a newbie who started by buying all the right clothes before trying the
activity (it's the American Way!) and the other party having little
sympathy for one suffering from the first shock of hard physical
activity. How Not to Get Someone Started On a Bike. I also ride a
tandem with an out-of-shape younger partner (my son) but fortunately he
is non verbal (autistic) and I don't expect him to do much work. He
loves the sensation of riding and I only go as fast as I can
comfortably manage. No arguments.

Mort

Old May 31st 05, 07:32 PM
Leo Lichtman

"mort" wrote: (clip) but fortunately he is non verbal (autistic) (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
"fortunately?" I think you need to be more careful in your choice of words.

Old June 2nd 05, 02:08 AM
mort

Leo Lichtman wrote:
"mort" wrote: (clip) but fortunately he is non verbal (autistic) (clip)
"fortunately?" I think you need to be more careful in your choice of words.

There are many situations where his disability is a problem, but in
this particular activity I find it to be a real asset. He doesn't
whine, doesn't ask for snacks, doesn't compare the present situation
with the joys of playing video games, or exhibit any other annoying kid
behavior. He pedals when I pedal and stops when I stop, and really
enjoys the ride. Compare this to the OPs example.

Mort