nifty LED pedals

Old September 9th 05, 05:03 AM
phlegm

Default nifty LED pedals

Anyone ever use something like this on their uni? The owner of the
local bike shop I frequent gave me a similar pair, and they're awesome
on the street at night. Just watch out for cars swerving when the
drivers rubber neck.

'[image: http://www.sahalie.com/images/product/another_view/75018.jpg]'
(http://tinyurl.com/4p8ab)

--
phlegm - skill level e
phlegm's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8382

Old September 9th 05, 05:09 AM
abbabibble

uhh, i would, but ah, i don't like the beartrap pedals too much...

i have used one of those flashing valvecaps, though...

--
abbabibble - uhh...

Cheers,
Mat.
-----------------------
"1% of the people on the planet can ride a uni. The other 99% can only
wonder why we would do it."

-someone on this forum, and onewheeljoe. (unknown person, please PM me
if you said this, so you can get credit for this great quote.)

--Uh, yes i ride this everywhere. Why don't I have a car? Because i
spend all my money on unicycles...
abbabibble's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10751

Old September 9th 05, 05:10 AM
Spudman

Those could be useful if you lived in town and rode at night. But they
may not be worth having if you live out in the sticks and the nearest
house is a quarter of a mile away.

--
Spudman - We're on a mission from God.

If dolphins are so smart, then why do they live in igloos?
Spudman's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10752

Old September 9th 05, 05:10 AM
mboulanger

No but I have had a red white and blue flashing 'tirefly'
(http://www.tireflys.com) as my valve cap from time to time- Those look
really cool. A Guy I saw the other night coulda used them, since the
only reflectors on his bike were on the pedals, and he was riding on
Route 6 (a highway) on Cape Cod at about 2 in the morning, somewhere
between exits 1 and 2!

--
mboulanger - Uni is harder than law school.
mboulanger's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9642

Old September 9th 05, 05:26 AM
forrestunifreak

Trap pedals are not as bad as people say they are. If your not grinding
on them, there not bad.

I've never seen those pefals. They look cool. But how do they not use
batteries? And how do they turn on? The tireflys are neat, but you
literally have to hop up and down just to turn them on.

--
forrestunifreak - The buck stops here.

'seattle bike supply' (http://www.seattlebikesupply.com)
'pryme gear' (http://www.prymegear.com) 'torker'
(http://www.torkerusa.com)
'kenda tires' (http://www.kendausa.com)
team YAMS member..

- last edited by nobody in particular on 2005-10-5 at 3:58pm -

Old September 9th 05, 05:29 AM
Spudman

They probably have a little generator in the pedal (look at the picture
and you can almost tell). It probably turns on whenever you ride and it
doesn't matter if it turns on in daytime because LEDs last forever.

Old September 9th 05, 09:29 AM
andyparry

I put a pair on my uni, and took them off after about month, the
bearings are crap, and they soon developed HUGE amounts of play. There
is a rather large bulge on the inside of the pedal where all the
generator / dynamo gubbins site and make them a little uncormfortable.
but they do look cool at night

--
andyparry
andyparry's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8106

Old September 9th 05, 11:07 AM
unicus

I have some on my Coker and they’re doing fine. They do indeed have a
small generator in each pedal and start flashing when you ride, no need
for batteries.

The generator does get in the way a bit when you mount but is OK when
your riding, they are plastic so you can guess what the grip is like and
as Andy has found out they’re not strong, but they do look nifty in the
dark. They are no good, in my opinion, for anything other than normal
riding – trials, Muni, freestyle, hockey etc. are out of the question -
use them for road riding where you want to be seen it's what they're
designed for.

--
unicus - I need to change this

'Photos' (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/Photos-from-unicus)
'Videos' (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/unicus)
unicus's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/869

Old September 9th 05, 11:13 PM
Mikefule

I saw some in Halfords today. The spindles turned in quite a notchy
way. Either cheap bearings, or the slightly uneven resistance of the
little dynamo that's built into them.

On a "grown up" point, these are not designed as an alternative to
proper lighting. Indeed, strictly speaking, they are not legal for road
use in the UK, even if you have proper lights.

As a very bike friendly motorist (I have ridden bicycles, tandems,
unicycles, motorbikes and scooters on the road for many years) I have
sometimes been momentarily disorientated by flashing LEDs on bikes.
They can make it difficult for you to judge distance and speed, compared
to a fixed light.

On a less grown up point, they look quite fun and I could imagine
fitting some to my 20 which is sometimes used in dusk and darkness for
performances with the Morris.

--
Mikefule - Roland Hope School of Unicycling

The poor lack much, the greedy, everything.

Old September 9th 05, 11:50 PM
johnfoss

Sounds like they would be fun on my big wheel (45", not the Coker) for
the occasional nighttime parades I ride in. Or for my Excessory Cycle,
if I ever restore the pieces and put it back together...

--
johnfoss - More Moab Fun

John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone

"Read the rules!" -- 'IUF Rulebook'