Avocet 50 cyclometer - automatic power off

Old July 27th 03, 04:08 PM
David Bertenshaw

Default Avocet 50 cyclometer - automatic power off

I've just started riding again after four or five years. My Avocet 50
needed new batteries of course - but when I'd fitted them and set the
machine up (following the pdf manual from the avocet site), the
display stayed on permanently and the batteries wore down after 2
weeks - not surprisingly, I suppose...

I'm sure there was an automatic power-off function last time I used it
;-) Or have I misremembered (again)? And if so, why did the batteries
run down so quickly?

Thanks

David
Old July 28th 03, 10:51 PM
David Bertenshaw

On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 17:35:02 -0400, Alex Rodriguez
wrote:

There is a trick you are supposed to do to get the batteries to last longer.
Something about the sequence of installing the new batteries. It is in the
instruction manual. I don't have mine with me, or I would quote the procedure
for you.

Thanks - I think I've found it on the net now. I'll try it out...

David.
Old July 29th 03, 12:22 AM
Bill

wrote:

There is a trick you are supposed to do to get the batteries to last

longer.
Something about the sequence of installing the new batteries. It is in

the
instruction manual. I don't have mine with me, or I would quote the

procedure
for you.

Thanks - I think I've found it on the net now. I'll try it out...

David.

I have an Avocet 50 that I've used for about 10 years. The batteries are
usually good for just over a year. Cumulative elevation gain starts to get
bizarre when the batteries are just about shot. There is no auto-off/sleep
mode. Is it possible that you used the wrong or very old batteries?
Tell us what the "Trick" is when you find it. Sure didn't jump out me
looking at the manual online. http://www.avocet.com/instrpdfs/50Eng.pdf
Bill

Old July 29th 03, 07:31 PM
David Bertenshaw

On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 23:22:37 GMT, "Bill"
wrote:

I have an Avocet 50 that I've used for about 10 years. The batteries are
usually good for just over a year. Cumulative elevation gain starts to get
bizarre when the batteries are just about shot. There is no auto-off/sleep
mode. Is it possible that you used the wrong or very old batteries?
Tell us what the "Trick" is when you find it. Sure didn't jump out me
looking at the manual online. http://www.avocet.com/instrpdfs/50Eng.pdf
Bill

Haven't got the batteries yet, Bill, so I don't know whether it's a
good 'trick' or not...;-) But when I do, I'm going to try the
following (from Sheldon Brown's website (which is pretty damn
interesting all round - thanks Mr B....). :

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/cyclecom....html#avocet50

====================
Battery: two 386 silver oxide 1.5 volt.

When installing batteries in the Cyclometer 50 use this special double
insert procedu
Insert both batteries.
Remove one battery and leave it out for 15 seconds.
Reinsert the battery you removed. The unit will then go into
calibration mode.
====================

cheers

David
Old July 29th 03, 10:04 PM
Bill

"David Bertenshaw" wrote in message
On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 23:22:37 GMT, "Bill"
Haven't got the batteries yet, Bill, so I don't know whether it's a
good 'trick' or not...;-) But when I do, I'm going to try the
following (from Sheldon Brown's website (which is pretty damn
interesting all round - thanks Mr B....). :

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/cyclecom....html#avocet50

====================
Battery: two 386 silver oxide 1.5 volt.

When installing batteries in the Cyclometer 50 use this special double
insert procedu
Insert both batteries.
Remove one battery and leave it out for 15 seconds.
Reinsert the battery you removed. The unit will then go into
calibration mode.
====================

cheers

David

That will reset the 50 to defaults but I can't imagine that it will have an
effect on battery life. I have always just pulled out both batteries and
stuck in the new ones at replacement time. It wakes up stupid. Program
settings and go. One interesting note. You can change between mph and kph on
a ride without loosing current ride data. Hold down both buttons long enough
to get to the settings sequence, toggle through, make changes and continue
with current ride info maintained and changed to new format. Occasionally
useful for some of us kilometer confused when riding in Europe.
Bill

Lactate testing / training [email protected] Racing 18 July 18th 04 08:37 PM
Longer crankarms Jiyang Chen Racing 129 March 18th 04 12:37 PM
why increasing strength doesn't (automatically) increase power Andy Coggan Racing 121 November 21st 03 05:17 PM
Armstrong's Tour De France Time Trials Rik O'Shea Racing 33 November 6th 03 03:46 AM
Ergomo and Power Tap comparison Robert Chung Racing 169 November 5th 03 04:25 AM