" flew off the bike, broke his scapula and was going into shock"

Old January 31st 10, 04:15 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Mike Vandeman[_4_]

Default " flew off the bike, broke his scapula and was going into shock"

A good reason not to allow mountain bike racing.

Mike

Subject: Why all the Gravel and work on Ord?
From: papa-g

I am not the expert on this topic by any means, but this is what I
THINK I know:

The roads being worked on are not new roads. These roads are used for
emergency vehicles to respond to both fire and medical emergencies.
If the roads are not improved, Fort Ord is not able to host such
things as the Sea Otter or 24 Hours of Adrenaline due to liability...I
think. Some roads are in such bad shape that the local Cal Fire/
Salinas Rural will not use them to respond to emergencies. Not pretty
seeing the gravel and such being put in, but it will look real good
seeing an emergency vehicle coming down one to get to your sorry and
broken butt if you do not keep the rubber side down! As we know, in a
medical emergency, every minute counts.

I want to see Fort Ord be open and stay "wild", too. There is no way
to have both at all times. Rangers have to patrol, roads will need to
be worked on and folks need to push back to keep OUR lands open and
usable for recreation. One way to do this is BE INVOLVED!!! Show up
to the MORCA meetings, volunteer your time to do trail work, be active
in the FORA/ESCA process and be proactive instead of reactive to the
issues. Lots of folks in the club do this and I am thankful to all of
you! If you are a lurker, get involved, please.

One quick story...before I get back to my paying job...Sea Otter a few
years ago when the club volunteered to marshal the XC race: I was at
the top of trail 50 where that nasty bit of gravel is. A racer was
coming down the ruts on fire road just before the intersection and
flew off the bike, broke his scapula and was going into shock. Jim,
my hero... ...was doing his BETA duties and calling in emergency
services. A helicopter was called in while an emergency vehicle tried
to get to the site at the same time. Crazy thing is that it took a
good forty minutes or more before someone got to the site! The dirt
road from Laguna Seca was bad and the medics took a long time to
navigate to the site on the rutted out road...I think that the
emergency vehicle, a truck, only had about a mile or so of dirt they
drove on, the rest was paved.

Thanks for reading my two cents!

Gary