First decent road bike... stem length?

Old July 28th 03, 10:56 PM
Dan Brussee

Default First decent road bike... stem length?

I just picked up a road frame for the first time. I have been riding a
hybrid frame for several years and felt I wanted to see what a real road
bike would do for me.

Anyway, I will have the frame in a few days and I was wondering how to
go about deciding what reach to use for the stem. It's a 1-1/8 ahead
style with an uncut fork but with no stem. I just want to get the right
stem length - or at least close. I may need to swap it once or twice to
get it perfect, but I dont want to get something WAY too short or too
long. So, what's the formula to get close?

Dan

--

Remove NOT from email address to reply. AntiSpam in action.
Old July 29th 03, 12:35 AM
Ken

Dan Brussee wrote in
:
Anyway, I will have the frame in a few days and I was wondering how to
go about deciding what reach to use for the stem. It's a 1-1/8 ahead
style with an uncut fork but with no stem. I just want to get the right
stem length - or at least close. I may need to swap it once or twice to
get it perfect, but I dont want to get something WAY too short or too
long. So, what's the formula to get close?

Stem length is a personal preference issue. Many beginners start with a
relatively short stem, then get a longer stem when their strength and
flexibility improve. There are lots of rules of thumb regarding stem length,
but the only one that really matters is that you should be able to ride on
the drops for long periods of time. If your stem is too long, you'll feel
too stretched out when riding on the drops. If your stem is too short,
you'll feel too cramped and/or upright.
Old July 29th 03, 03:30 AM
Lewis Campbell

Hi, Dan, if you can do a 'mock up' of the bike, then, sit on the seat
with your feet on the pedals and hold the handlebars in front of you.

Have your hands on the top, flat, part of the bar and try to hold it
at a height from the ground that you think you would be comfortable
when riding.

Now look down at the front hub and move the bar until it obscures the
hub.

Have a faithful assistant measure the distance from the bars to the
stem. This should get you to a good starting place.

Hope this helps.

Lewis.

Old July 29th 03, 04:02 AM
David L. Johnson

On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 19:30:39 +0000, Lewis Campbell wrote:

Hi, Dan, if you can do a 'mock up' of the bike, then, sit on the seat with
your feet on the pedals and hold the handlebars in front of you.

Have your hands on the top, flat, part of the bar and try to hold it at a
height from the ground that you think you would be comfortable when
riding.

Now look down at the front hub and move the bar until it obscures the

hub.

Noting personal, but this "standard" should be retired. It simply isn't
useful enough. If the OP is able to consider swqitching stems at least
once, then start with an adjustable stem that you can use to dial in what
you need.

A bike fit is only the first step to these adjustments. You want to be
comfortable with your hands on the hoods, not just with your hands on the
tops.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | We have a record of conquest, colonization and expansion
_`\(,_ | unequalled by any people in the Nineteenth Century. We are not
(_)/ (_) | to be curbed now. --Henry Cabot Lodge, 1895

Old July 29th 03, 06:06 AM
Werehatrack

On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 21:56:04 GMT, Dan Brussee
may have said:

I just picked up a road frame for the first time. I have been riding a
hybrid frame for several years and felt I wanted to see what a real road
bike would do for me.

Anyway, I will have the frame in a few days and I was wondering how to
go about deciding what reach to use for the stem. It's a 1-1/8 ahead
style with an uncut fork but with no stem. I just want to get the right
stem length - or at least close. I may need to swap it once or twice to
get it perfect, but I dont want to get something WAY too short or too
long. So, what's the formula to get close?

If you have a cooperative lbs, see if they've got a box of used stems
that they would consider allowing you to test fit to see what feels
right. If not, then I'd advise grabbing an adjustable stem and
fiddling with it until you're as close as *it* will get you to a good,
comfortable ride, and then measure and buy a fixed stem
accordingly...or stay with the adjustable, if it's right on target and
works well for you.

--
My email address is antispammed;
pull WEEDS if replying via e-mail.