The BMA Promote Safer Cycling

Old April 20th 09, 03:39 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
judith smith

Default The BMA Recycle BeHIT Bull****

On Mon, 20 Apr 2009 11:41:14 +0100, Peter Clinch
wrote:

Toom Tabard wrote:

One has, however, to also be aware that when there seems good
empirical reason for a public health or safety initiative, its
introduction is accompanied by an initiative to collect full and
correctly classified data to measure the effect. This data is then
frequently compared to the incomplete and inaccurate data from before
the initiative and can result in considerable disparity between the
statistical result and the expected effect. That frequently masks the
close correspondence between the expected and actual effects.

So you start with data that's apparently good enough to act as a "good
empirical reason for a public health or safety initiative", but it turns
out it's so bad it will allow a doubling of the wearing rate in a very
short space of time to make no impact on serious head injury rates when
you look at the data afterwards?

And it turns out it's magically just as bad everywhere you look at the
population level, reproducibly so.

And it also turns out when you haven't had such a law and consequently a
big change in the data collection methods, and have a good hard look at
the statistical record in light of naturally evolving wearing rates,
that there appears to be no effect on serious head injuries at the
population level as wearing rates change naturally.

And it turns out where disparate groups (for example, UK juvenile males
and females) have different wearing cultures, their serious injury rates
aren't appreciably differentiated.

Pete.

Haven't you got work to do Clinch?

I hope that you're not skiving and browsing and answering the
newsgroup on public funds.

--

"Primary position" the middle of a traffic lane. To take the "primary position" : to ride a bike in the middle of the lane in order to obstruct other road vehicles from overtaking.

A term invented by and used by psycholists and not recognised in the Highway Code.

Old April 20th 09, 03:42 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
judith smith

Default The BMA Promote Safer Cycling

On Mon, 20 Apr 2009 01:05:46 +0100, Tom Crispin
wrote:

snip

Child to Mr Crispin (the teacher) "Please sir - is it better that I
wear a cycle helmet when I ride to school rather than not wear one.

Mr Crispin: You are asking the wrong question - it is too difficult
for me.

Child: It is a simple question.

Mr Crispin: No - sorry - you are asking the wrong person - ask your
mother when you get home.

Complete fabrication of a reply to hypothetical straw man question.

So what would you answer to a child who asked that question?

This seems a very reasonable question to be asked of someone charged
with the education of our children.

Old April 20th 09, 05:00 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason

"Jules" wrote in message

As a matter of interest: Do you wear a seat-belt in your car? Would you
wear one if it wasn't a legal requirement? Did you wear one before it was
a legal requirement (assuming you are old enough)?

I do wear my seat belt in my car and did not wear it before it became law.
Incidentally, my dad crashed his car in 1974 into a telegraph pole which
wiped out the driver's side. He was thrown into the passenger seat and
lived, had he worn a seat belt he would have been killed.

--
Simon Mason
http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/

Old April 20th 09, 05:56 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Just zis Guy, you know?[_2_]

On Mon, 20 Apr 2009 12:08:26 +0100, Peter Clinch
wrote:

I personally think there's a fair chance that a helmet similar to
a cycle helmet will reduce the risk of injuries to the head in the case
of a domestic accident in the house, yet practically nobody bothers
wearing such helmets in the house.

http://www.thudguard.com/
http://joseelretardo.com/tag/urban-walking-helmet/

Guy
--
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk/urc | http://www.nohelmetlaw.org.uk/

simple, neat and wrong" - HL Mencken

Newsgroup may contain nuts.
Old April 20th 09, 07:22 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Sir Jeremy

On 19 Apr, 16:25, "Simon Mason" wrote:
"Judith Smith" wrote in message
Well, I've drunk 100-120 units a week for 30 years, so I must be due to
die
very soon!

How do you make up this 100/120 units a week - if you don't mind me
asking?

It would be nearer 100 units in a normal week. In an evening, I might have 5
x 440 ml cans of 1.9 units and 2 x 440 ml cans of 2.1 units which is 13.7
units. I then go to bed at 9-00 pm to get up at 5-30 am. I don't get
dehydrated as the stuff is 96% water anyway.

In a week, that is nearly 96 units. If I am not at work the next day, I may
have a couple more which would take the total over 100 units.

--
Simon Masonhttp://www.simonmason.karoo.net/

You are Glug2 AICMFP
Old April 20th 09, 07:46 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
judith smith

And there we have one ****wit advising another - many thanks.

--
I encourage my children to wear helmets. (Guy Chapman)
I have never said that I encourage my children to wear helmets. (Guy

Old April 20th 09, 07:49 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Clinch

Toom Tabard wrote:

It's a bit difficult to address the 'points' you raise if they are
mere endless and irrelevant vacuous twaddle.
Socrates had his Plato to expand on every question he raised. What did
I do to deserve you?

You continue to show little knowledge of the currently available
literature on the subject, or indeed much indication that you have
even been bothered to try and keep abreast of it. Consequently
your opinions, even though you tend to see them too much as facts,
are actually far less informed than you appear to think.

If you don't want me posting to point out your opinions have holes
in them it would be best to close up the holes, rather than pretend
they're not there.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
Old April 20th 09, 08:03 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
judith smith

On Mon, 20 Apr 2009 17:00:04 +0100, "Simon Mason"
wrote:

"Jules" wrote in message

As a matter of interest: Do you wear a seat-belt in your car? Would you
wear one if it wasn't a legal requirement? Did you wear one before it was
a legal requirement (assuming you are old enough)?

I do wear my seat belt in my car and did not wear it before it became law.
Incidentally, my dad crashed his car in 1974 into a telegraph pole which
wiped out the driver's side. He was thrown into the passenger seat and
lived, had he worn a seat belt he would have been killed.

Yes - I have met loads of people down the pub who had exactly the same
thing happen to one of their relatives.

Also, there were no end of people killed when their cars went in to
canals just after compulsory seat belts came in as well and they
could not escape.

Old April 20th 09, 09:20 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
PeterG

wrote:

"Jules" wrote in message

As a matter of interest: Do you wear a seat-belt in your car? *Would you
wear one if it wasn't a legal requirement? *Did you wear one before it was
a legal requirement (assuming you are old enough)?

I do wear my seat belt in my car and did not wear it before it became law.
Incidentally, my dad crashed his car in 1974 into a telegraph pole which
wiped out the driver's side. He was thrown into the passenger seat and
lived, had he worn a seat belt he would have been killed.

Yes - I have met loads of people down the pub who had exactly the same
thing *happen to one of their relatives.

Also, there were no end of people killed when their cars went in to
canals just after *compulsory seat belts came in as well and they
could not escape.

-- * * * * * * * *

"Primary position" the middle of a traffic lane. *To take the "primary position" : *to ride a bike *in the middle of the lane in order to obstruct other road vehicles from overtaking.

A term invented by and used by psycholists and not recognised in the Highway Code.

My brothers mate was down the pub when he was told about a cyclist who
was wearing a cycle helmet when he swerved off the road down a bank
and into some trees.
He was left hanging from the tree by his helmet strap for four hours &
nearly died.

PG

Cycling is safer with LANCE gone [email protected] Racing 4 July 14th 08 08:17 AM
Critical Mass - productive campaign to promote cycling or... The Nottingham Duck UK 54 September 23rd 05 06:33 AM
Safer Helmet Tilly UK 1 June 17th 05 12:07 PM
MTBing Safer Than You Might Think Bill Wheeler Mountain Biking 15 November 27th 04 03:58 AM
Bridelways now safer Just zis Guy, you know? UK 2 July 29th 03 06:59 PM