Bridelways now safer

Old July 29th 03, 03:21 PM
Just zis Guy, you know?

Default Bridelways now safer

Get off the cyclepath! (well, bridleway, anyway).

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/d...re/3105709.stm

4x4 drivers fined under new law
===============================

New laws control off-road driving

Two Derby motorists have become the first in the country to be prosecuting
under new laws governing 4x4 vehicles, say police.

The fines have come about because of new police powers that allow them to
prosecute drivers who flout the laws.

Darren Lee Cook, 36, of Challis Avenue, Chaddesden and Robert William
Laybram, 21, of Lloyd Street in Derby, were caught driving their 4x4
vehicles down a public bridleway near Overton Hall in Ashover on March 2002.

The pair were fined £100 each plus £50 in costs by Chesterfield Magistrates
Court.

It is the first time that Derbyshire Police have used their new powers under
the Countryside and Rights of Way Act 2000 to bring a road traffic
prosecution for misusing a public bridleway.

They believe it is also the first prosecution of this kind in the country.

--
Guy
===

http://www.chapmancentral.com

Old July 29th 03, 05:59 PM
Simon Galgut

"Just zis Guy, you know?" wrote in message
Get off the cyclepath! (well, bridleway, anyway).

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/d...re/3105709.stm

4x4 drivers fined under new law

And whilst we all applaud the conviction of these and others who break the
law, please bear in mind that there are an awful lot of dual status (esp. in
Derbys) routes (ie they have bridleway/footpath status on the definitive map
(and OS map) but are also listed on the List of Streets maintained by the
local Highways Authority).

So before you give anyone driving a vehicle on what you think is a
footpath/bridleway a piece of your mind (or fist ! ), check your facts very
carefully

Regards
Simon

Old July 29th 03, 06:59 PM
Digweed .. ;\)

Just zis Guy, you know? tried to scribble ...

Get off the cyclepath! (well, bridleway, anyway).

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/d...re/3105709.stm

4x4 drivers fined under new law

As a cyclist, walker, driver, horse rider, motorcyclist, and a 4 x 4 driver
I must say I agree wholeheartedly with the way these people were dealt with.

Those of us who use private land or designated tracks and roadways for our
'off-roading' pay enough for the priviledge without having oiks using
bridleways and footpaths for their motoring pleasure. Must admit, when I'm
horse riding or cycling along a bridleway I'd be most annoyed if I met a 4 x
4 coming the other way, or indeed going the same way, as I.

However, there are still many bridleways and footpaths still marked as
vehicular rights of way on the definitive maps, so be careful out there ..

--
Digweed