need info about recumbent bike. Longbikes Vanguard

Old August 19th 04, 05:10 AM
Capri

Default need info about recumbent bike. Longbikes Vanguard

I just bought a recumbent bike at a garage sale for $500. It was made
by Longbikes and the model is a Vanguard. I can't seem to find out a
whole lot of information about it other than it seems to be one of the
older recumbent bikes. The bike is in excellent condition.The owner
says he has hardly ridden it for the past 4 years. He bought it from
someone else so did not know how old the bike is but it can't be all
that old as it has an 8 spd cog on the rear wheel. Doing a google
search I found this group. I just wonder if anyone out there knows
anymore about the bike, any pros or cons. It took me awhile to get
used to the under seat steering.

Thanks Ahead

Old August 19th 04, 11:33 AM
Bill McAninch

If you bought it for $500, you must be related to Jessie James. You
probably won't get to many to admit it on this group but I think you got the
Cadillac of recumbents. I have been riding a Vanguard for 4 years now and
love it. Bought mine used for $1400 (I'm not related to Jessie) from the
original owner. I have to head to work, here's a link to the Ryan owners
group (Ryan was the original builder), lots of info there.

Any other questions please feel free to ask me or others in the owners
group. Drop the caps to respond to me by email
http://ryanownersclub.com/

Bill McAninch
96 Vanguard, 99 Duplex

om...

Old August 26th 04, 05:57 AM
Capri

(Capri) wrote in message . com...
I just bought a recumbent bike at a garage sale for $500. It was made
by Longbikes and the model is a Vanguard. I can't seem to find out a
whole lot of information about it other than it seems to be one of the
older recumbent bikes. The bike is in excellent condition.The owner
says he has hardly ridden it for the past 4 years. He bought it from
someone else so did not know how old the bike is but it can't be all
that old as it has an 8 spd cog on the rear wheel. Doing a google
search I found this group. I just wonder if anyone out there knows
anymore about the bike, any pros or cons. It took me awhile to get
used to the under seat steering.

Thanks Ahead

Thanks for all of the replies. I am really glad I bought the bike, I
almost didn't. I'm 58 years old and it has been several years since I
have done any serious riding. I had some back problems.

This past weekend I took the bike out on what was going to be a short
ride and
ended up spending about 6 hours on it! I rode almost all the way down
A1A from Jacksonville to St Augustine and back and am ready to do it
again.

It took some getting used to with the long wheelbase and the underseat
steering but by the end of the ride I was entertaining thoughts of the
long distance bicycle tour that I never did do when I was younger.

I purchased some clipless pedals which I think are a real help. I want
to add a computer and a light but not really sure where to mount them.
Anyone got any suggestions?

BTW thans for the URL to tandembikes.com and Longbikes, that is where
the bike was made but they dont seem to be making the Vanguard model
anymore, I wonder if it is out of production now.

Phil
Old August 26th 04, 04:00 PM
skip

"Capri" wrote in message
om...
(Capri) wrote in message

. com...
[...]

I'm glad you are liking the bike and have adapted to it so easily. I've had
one almost 15 years. It's a great bike that has stood the test of time.
You can ride it in comfort as far as you legs can take you. And $500 was a
real bargain. I always scan yard sales for bikes. I like old bikes and you
never know what you might find.

Contact Longbikes and see if they have a computer mount you can use. Mine
is home made job that shares the front top tube braze on for the waterbottle
cage.

The Vanguard is out of production because of a redesign by Longbikes, but
some parts may still be available or upgradeable from them. Fortunately the
bike was built to last - no weight weenie wimpyness here. So ride it, enjoy
it, and don't worry about it.

skip

Old February 7th 11, 03:55 AM
Charles Chandler Charles Chandler is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip View Post
"Capri" wrote in message
om...
(Capri) wrote in message
om...
[...]

Anyone interested in a used Longbikes Vanguard? I have one set up for touring. It and I have done the Northern Tier and the Pacific coast. My direct email is . This bike was new in 1999. Any ideas about it's fair price? I have posted pictures he http://charleschandler.smugmug.com/M...uard-for-Sale/