drop bar to replace straight bar

Old September 27th 04, 06:51 PM
bannerrefugee

::I have done this twice bc hybrid bikes are easy to find used (and
cheap). I prefer using bar end shifters to brake/shifter combos. Bar
ends are cheaper, simpler to install and maintain, and can be run
friction. I believe 8 speed shimano's are about 40$ (nashbar). Brake
levers cost about 20. ::

Kevein B. Wrote:
Hello group,

I was thinking of replacing the straight bar on my Trek 720 with a drop
bar. I am not sure what to do with the 3x7 grip shifters and brake
levers. If I have to buy all these components, what cost will there
be roughly?

Thanks.

Kevin

--
bannerrefugee

Old September 27th 04, 07:29 PM
Jacques Moser

Boatman wrote:

I've been considering something similar to your idea about using bar ends.
It would be kind of a pain, but how about removing (temporarily) the
shifters, brakes and grips. Put the bar "ends" in towards the middle, and
then replace the components you just removed. The result would be bars where
a road biker could really use them.

Boatman

To me, this would be too far inside. Besides, the bar ends fit the
outer, low diameter part of the bars, but would probably not fit the
center part, which has a larger diameter.
Old September 27th 04, 09:27 PM
ed

Sheldon Brown wrote in message ...
maxo wrote:

What about some of them fancy Nitto moustache bars like y'all sell online?
They're not drops, but they'd offer a lot more hand positions than crummy
straight bars.

I don't think I agree on that. There are surprisingly few usable
positions on Moustache bars. I'd rather have straight bars with bar
ends, and maybe an aerobar if I wanted a lot of positions.

You could mount the grip shifters

No, Moustache bars are a fatter diamete, 15/16" (23.8 mm) like drop
bars, so you can't fit standard twist shifters, straight bar brake
levers or handlebar grips on them.

My grip shifters and brake handles went on the moustache bars fine.
The only problem is finding the right mirror

with regular grips + tape, or just tape
the whole bar. You'd probably want to get some new road brake levers since
they work better with moustache bars. One could even go for some bar-end
shifters,but then things start to get spendy and up towards the price of
going the drop bar/brifter route, unless you get some used and/or friction
jobbers of the net somewhere...

Waddaya think?

You'd definitely want a MUCH shorter stem extension and probably a
taller stem as well.

In my eperience, Moustache bars are fine for short hops around town, but
the limited range of positions makes them less suitable for longer rides.

However, there are those who disagree with me on this.

Sheldon "No More Mustache, But I've Still Got The Beard" Brown
| Sometimes the only thing more dangerous than a question |
| is an answer. --Ferengi Rule of Acquisition #208 |
Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
http://harriscyclery.com
Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

Old September 29th 04, 02:05 AM
Claire Petersky

"Sheldon Brown" wrote in message

In my eperience, Moustache bars are fine for short hops around town, but
the limited range of positions makes them less suitable for longer rides.

However, there are those who disagree with me on this.

My old riding partner, "Luvs Hills" Lester had mustache bars on his
Bridgestone. He is the sort of person who does 200-300 miles/week without
much thinking about it. He regularly did long rides on that bike. So I guess
he'd be one of those who disagree with you.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
Home of the meditative cyclist: