Component upgrade?

Old September 26th 04, 04:23 PM
Michael Warner

On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 17:07:13 GMT, Oz wrote:

I am curious, how hard is it to upgrade the components on a Giant OCR-3?

Not hard, but expensive. I decided to buy a much better bike and relegate
the OCR3 to utility status, and I'm very happy I did.

--
bpo gallery at http://www4.tpgi.com.au/users/mvw1/bpo
Old September 26th 04, 06:42 PM
Luigi de Guzman

Oz wrote:

Yeah, I suppose I could have waited until next year to get my bike. Then
again, I would have missed out on 2 or 3 months worth of riding.

The bike I have is fine for me for now. I was asking the question for
general information for the future.

I have noticed the tendency on this forum to take a simple question and
blow it way out of purportion - perhaps even devolving into arguments and
oportunities for people to get on their soapboxes and preach. I asked a
fairly simple question that Dan Daniel didn't seem to have a problem
answering.

His answer also happened to be what you wanted to do anyway, right?

Just goes to show, we're not looking for answers--just corroboration.

Perhaps, taking a simple question and using it as an
opportunity
for pontificating is a little overkill. I don't know.

This is usenet. *shrug*

Hauling this back on-topic: if I had a frame I really liked, and had
specific things that I wanted done better, sure, I'd upgrade a component
here or there. But I'd not upgrade to shave grams on the bike, since there
are too many kilograms on the rider.

-Luigi

--
www.livejournal.com/users/ouij
Photos, Rants, Raves

Old September 26th 04, 06:44 PM
Oz

I can accept that. That is the route I will probably go, buying a much
better bike, when and if that is warranted. It's not that I didn't want a
much more expensive bike to begin with but I just couldn't justify that kind
of purchase when I am just starting out.

Thanks for the advice.

Rob

Old September 26th 04, 07:00 PM
Oz

"Luigi de Guzman" wrote in message
Oz wrote:

Yeah, I suppose I could have waited until next year to get my bike.

Then
again, I would have missed out on 2 or 3 months worth of riding.

The bike I have is fine for me for now. I was asking the question for
general information for the future.

I have noticed the tendency on this forum to take a simple question and
blow it way out of purportion - perhaps even devolving into arguments

and
oportunities for people to get on their soapboxes and preach. I asked a
fairly simple question that Dan Daniel didn't seem to have a problem
answering.

His answer also happened to be what you wanted to do anyway, right?

Sure. But what I was looking for was advice as to how difficult a component
upgrade may be. I don't know how much you know about Giant bikes but the
entire OCR line uses basically the same frame with the higher end bikes
having better componentry. I may never need to upgrade but I was curious to
know how difficult it would be.

Just goes to show, we're not looking for answers--just corroboration.

Perhaps, taking a simple question and using it as an
opportunity
for pontificating is a little overkill. I don't know.

This is usenet. *shrug*

Hauling this back on-topic: if I had a frame I really liked, and had
specific things that I wanted done better, sure, I'd upgrade a component
here or there. But I'd not upgrade to shave grams on the bike, since

there
are too many kilograms on the rider.

Luigi, those were my thoughts exactly. I realize I will never by a *great*
rider. I don't have the time, for one thing, to put into it right now.
With 4 kids under the age of 18, I probably won't for some time. So, it was
more a question for the future than anything else.

Rob

-Luigi

Old September 27th 04, 12:09 AM
the black rose

Luigi de Guzman wrote:
Hauling this back on-topic: if I had a frame I really liked, and had
specific things that I wanted done better, sure, I'd upgrade a component
here or there.

I met someone for whom this was the only viable option. She's a small
woman, at least a couple inches shorter than me and I'm only 5'2". It
can be a challenge to find a bike that fits, let me tell you. She
searched all over, with no luck, for a bike that fit her -- but her old
frame was still in good shape. So the LBS rebuilt it for her with new
components. Worked out great for her.

-km

--
Only cowards fight kids -- unidentified Moscow protester
the black rose
Old September 27th 04, 12:39 PM
Badger_South

On Sun, 26 Sep 2004 10:17:12 GMT, "Oz"
wrote:

I have noticed the tendency on this forum to take a simple question and blow
it way out of purportion - perhaps even devolving into arguments and
oportunities for people to get on their soapboxes and preach. I asked a
fairly simple question that Dan Daniel didn't seem to have a problem
answering. Perhaps, taking a simple question and using it as an opportunity
for pontificating is a little overkill. I don't know.

Back to lurker mode.

Rob

Most of it, in my case, is just general enthusiasm and interest and
wanting to share what can be a tortuous path, for beginners, to a
simple solution.

In my case I put off buying a better bike for several months, when if
I had simply known about 'indexed shifters', I wouldn't have (I was
riding crappy grip-twist shifters, and a crappy bike.)

Woohoo - indexed shifters. grin

Sorry for the verbosity, mate.

Best,

-B