Critical Mass Tunnel F*cks

Old September 26th 04, 04:51 AM
dreaded

Default Critical Mass Tunnel F*cks

"SH" wrote in message
To all cyclists who supported the Critical Mass ride through the
Melbourne domain tunnel, thanks a lot. As a competative cyclist I have
had to put up with increase abuse while training today because of your
stupidity last night. Unfortunately many motorist think we are one in
the same and have been giving more abuse today than we normally recieve
just for sharing the road. Just a coincidence, I dont think so!

Why don't you look at the constructive lead taken by Bicycle Victoria,
who promote safe road use for all users. They lobbying Local and State
governments in the provision of cycle safe roads. They also promote
rides that introduce thousands of non cyclist to the sport, which in
turn educates a large group of the population on the benifits of bicycle
commuting and hence reduces the use of cars.

You riders want a society with out cars, its not going to happen, get
over it. What will happen with the publicity that you short sighted
radicals get, is there will be a wider devide between motorist and us.
This will just make it more dangerous to ride, discourage people from
riding and undo all the good BV and simular groups have achieved.

SH

--

good point. something to think about. i've never been to a CM event but
admit there is a lure to vent one's disgust at the soul-crushing nature of

Old September 26th 04, 08:28 AM
Tom Keats

In article ,
"dreaded" writes:

if we motorists are to ever feel at least partly responsible for the
problems created by mass use of cars it's not going to be from a bunch of
cyclists clogging up the tunnel. that will just give people another group to
misplace the blame.

If not, then what /will/ work, to make car users feel at least partly
responsible for the problems created by the mass use of cars?

cheers,
Tom

--
-- Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.
Old September 26th 04, 11:50 AM
di

..

If not, then what /will/ work, to make car users feel at least partly
responsible for the problems created by the mass use of cars?

cheers,
Tom

Nothing, because they don't feel they have a problem caused by their use of
cars, it's your problem or your perceived problem.

Old September 26th 04, 07:50 PM
Zoot Katz

Sun, 26 Sep 2004 05:50:36 -0500, Z8x5d.4602$Tj.4315@okepread02,
From deep in denile, stupid cager scum, "di" ,whined:

Nothing, because they don't feel they have a problem caused by their use of
cars, it's your problem or your perceived problem.

They figure it's what, aliens making our air brown?

Die.
--
zk
Old September 26th 04, 08:42 PM
Dan Daniel

On Sun, 26 Sep 2004 11:50:07 -0700, Zoot Katz
wrote:

Sun, 26 Sep 2004 05:50:36 -0500, Z8x5d.4602$Tj.4315@okepread02,
From deep in denile, stupid cager scum, "di" ,whined:

Nothing, because they don't feel they have a problem caused by their use of
cars, it's your problem or your perceived problem.

They figure it's what, aliens making our air brown?

Well, here in the US there are people who make that argument...

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansas...8463688.htm?1c

Die.

And then what happens? How will this make the streets better for
bicyclists and the overall environment better? How many 'cagers'
should die for you to see the world that you want?
Old September 27th 04, 12:00 AM
dreaded

"Tom Keats" wrote in message
In article ,
"dreaded" writes:

if we motorists are to ever feel at least partly responsible for the
problems created by mass use of cars it's not going to be from a bunch

of
cyclists clogging up the tunnel. that will just give people another

group to
misplace the blame.

If not, then what /will/ work, to make car users feel at least partly
responsible for the problems created by the mass use of cars?

cheers,
Tom

well, obiously there is no easy answer but my muse here is that CM is likely
not as effective as bicycle advocacy and other public and political action.
community involvement can have a big impact as far as creating urban areas
that are bike and pedestrian friendly to encourage less auto use in a good
way. i also find that feeling positive about cycling esp. commuting
encourages others. there are two people at my work place who have started
bicycle commuting partly because they saw how much my mood and general
outlook on life has improved since i started commuting every day. i know
this is a hokey positive message but it's really true that we all have quite
an impact on others and if it is always confrontational-well that only
breeds contempt- i mean how could anyone possibly be offended by a cyclist
unless they associated that person with some sort of activity like CM-i dont
think there is anything inherent in cycling that prevents even the most
selfish hummer driver from thinking "hmm...that looks like fun".
-alan

Old September 27th 04, 12:43 AM
Zoot Katz

Sun, 26 Sep 2004 16:00:40 -0700,
,
"dreaded" wrote:

Read the thread that degenerated the first time this troll posted this
exact same inaccurate harangue. It's all been said and there's been 14
months of Critical Mass rides since that time. There will be 400 more
next month while your esteemed advocates for ghettoising cyclists
continue their ineffectual yapping.
--
zk
Old September 27th 04, 09:07 AM
Raoul Duke

"dreaded" wrote in message

i remember that thread and others. it's true it goes on and on just like
everything. so it's just musing, but
i think it's a reach for you to suggest that i would esteem anyone who

wants
to ghettoize cycling. mainly i'm trying to keep an open mind and encourage
others to do so as well among all of this vitriol. AND there was nothing

in
my post that suggests CM should be stopped i just said it's likely
counterproductive-hell ANYBODY on a bike is about 1000 times less of a
threat to the health and safety of others than ANYONE in a car; just
suggesting there are better ways to criticise auto use and promote

cycling.
and what if people want to know more about CM? how are they going to find
out? are you being a good spokeperson?

Sorry but you're 100% wrong. The only way to encourage more cycling is to
call people "scum", "scud jockeys", "cagers" and to **** on them and tell
them to die.

Dave

Old September 28th 04, 01:42 AM
Fx199

Subject: Critical Mass Tunnel F*cks
From: Jeff Williams
Date: 9/26/2004 7:31 AM US Eastern Standard Time
SH wrote:
[...]

While I do understand the stated impetus behind CM, I've never been
particularly impressed with the methodology. Really annoying people
seldom serves as a good way to convert them to your point of view. It's
much more likely to harden their resolve against your point of view.

We want allies, not enemies.

Jeff

After all, the road was NOT constructed for cyclists it was constructed for
motor vehicles.
Old September 28th 04, 01:50 AM
Fx199

Nothing, because they don't feel they have a problem caused by their use of
cars, it's your problem or your perceived problem.

They figure it's what, aliens making our air brown?

Die.
--
zk

WHy would I live where the air is brown?
That would be dumb, I'd move somewhere clean with less people and less cars.