ER last night: THBPT

Old October 15th 04, 07:59 PM
Dane Jackson

maxo wrote:
On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 16:45:37 +0000, Dane Jackson wrote:

Heh. I desperately need a new one, but I'm holding out until I can find
one with no "Windows" keys.

Ick. If I wanted a keyboard that had a bathtub and Wankel rotary
engine attached I'd get out the epoxy and C-clamps.

I just "sharpied" mine.

It's not the look, it's that they are taking up prime keyboard real
estate. Well, okay. It's also the look.

--
Dane Jackson - z u v e m b i @ u n i x b i g o t s . o r g
That must be wonderful: I don't understand it at all.
Old October 15th 04, 08:08 PM
Dane Jackson

David Reuteler wrote:
Dane Jackson wrote:
Heh. I desperately need a new one, but I'm holding out until I can
find one with no "Windows" keys.

hey dane, i spend 50+ hours a week at the keyboard and i'm a snooty bsd/unix
user. i give this keyboard my highest recommendation:

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/pfuca-st...ackeylit1.html

the name is a definite bonus. the price is a bit much for a keyboard but
it has the best action since the old IBM PC keyboards plus it's small
(the keys are normal size, the keyboard itself is small). i've got 3 of
them (1 at work, 2 at home -- i've found my carpal tunnel is helped by
having the same keyboard everywhere).

plus the control key is in the right place, damnit. & no windows key.

I've looked at those. But I really do use the numpad and what-not that
is chopped off on that one quite a bit. I currently have an old Compaq
keyboard with a PS/2 connector that's a 101 key keyboard. Unfortunately
it's never quite recovered from my daughter emptying a salt shaker into
it.

Maybe something more like this:
http://shop.store.yahoo.com/impactco...60648-101.html

--
Dane Jackson - z u v e m b i @ u n i x b i g o t s . o r g
"Please provide the date of your death."
Old October 15th 04, 11:08 PM

On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 16:45:37 -0000, Dane Jackson

Dane Jackson wrote:
wrote:

Like doctors don't spend 10 grand ON A CAR??? grrrrr....

*cough*

I think you mean 100 grand.

LOL, i did mean to write 100 grand. Sh*tty keyboard.

Heh. I desperately need a new one, but I'm holding out until I can
find one with no "Windows" keys.

ANd that scene was even funnier considering how many doctors are
cyclists!

After all, if it wasn't for them, who would buy Dura-Ace?

LOL, or Treks. It seems half the Treks around here are ridden by
doctors or lawyers, especially the latest Madone.

The roadie in ER mentioned that his bike was a Serotta Legend. Nice
plug for Serotta in prime time, even if the rider was portrayed as a
dork.

As for my keyboard, it's a laptop. A couple of the keys stick and also
it's hard to see in my somewhat dim living room.

Old October 15th 04, 11:47 PM
loki

wrote in message
news [...]
The roadie in ER mentioned that his bike was a Serotta Legend. Nice
plug for Serotta in prime time, even if the rider was portrayed as a
dork.

That's the latest thing in advertising, ya know: Working plugs into the
show as viewers increasingly filter out advertising.

I dunno if it was a paid for plug in this case but in 'The Apprentice' they
feature a certain toy company. In a James Bond movie he uses a certain brand
cell phone. And on and on.

Another interesting tactic is 'Roachbait' advertising where actors are
hired to perform to scripts on the street to gain word-of-mouth. FREX: Two
'buddies in a bar play games over their cell phone in a bar happily letting
other patrons look at and use the neat gizmo.

The two 'buddies' are paid actors.

Or a hot babe circulates in a bar trying to get guys to try Brand X malt
liquor Brand Y wine cooler.

She's an on-the-clock shill.

--
'To walk within the lines would make my life so boring
I want to know that I have been to the extreme.'

Old October 16th 04, 12:28 AM
Pat

:
: ANd that scene was even funnier considering how many doctors are
: cyclists!

Did you notice that Carter locked up his bike by just locking up the frame
(evidently)? He didn't bend over far enough to include the front wheel in
his cable and he certainly didn't lock up the rear wheel.

Pat in TX

Old October 16th 04, 12:29 AM
Claire Petersky

"Dane Jackson" wrote in message
Unfortunately
it's never quite recovered from my daughter emptying a salt shaker into
it.

I remember when my older daughter did an experiment with the hot bulb of the
desk light and her crayons. We had to replace the keyboard, too.

This is drifting over into a topic better covered in the newsgroup
misc.kids, but I believe that this sort of behavior requires a two pronged
approach: 1. absolute and complete parental wrath, such that the kid is
scared into never, ever duplicating such behavior again, and 2. providing a
parental-supervised avenue to explore whatever it is the kid is interested
in (melting crayons, the sprinkling of salt) away from delicate electronic
equipment, so the kid knows that exploration within bounds is OK.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
Home of the meditative cyclist:

Old October 16th 04, 01:49 PM
Pat

:
: Doctors with the nice bikes they couldn't afford while in med school.
:
: The plastic surgeon who restored my thumb rode his bicycle to the
: office that was near his home. He also rode it to the hospitals rather
: than pay for 24 reserved parking at four hospitals seperated by no
: more than 35 minutes cycling. It was an expensive bicycle but he said
: it was cheaper than parking for a year.
: --
: zk

I can understand that. Where my son works, the parking charge is $120 a
month in downtown Dallas. So, it adds up pretty fast.

Pat in TX

Old October 16th 04, 02:59 PM
Claire Petersky

"Pat" wrote in message

I can understand that. Where my son works, the parking charge is $120 a
month in downtown Dallas. So, it adds up pretty fast.

That sounds cheap -- it's $25/day in my building in downtown Seattle, and no
one's parking is subsidized. You do get a free bus pass/ferry tickets,
though.

Old October 16th 04, 06:43 PM

On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 18:28:24 -0500, "Pat" wrote:

:
: ANd that scene was even funnier considering how many doctors are
: cyclists!

Did you notice that Carter locked up his bike by just locking up the frame
(evidently)? He didn't bend over far enough to include the front wheel in
his cable and he certainly didn't lock up the rear wheel.

Pat in TX

Well, carter is so rich , why would he care if his bike got stolen!

In a british series called 'Casualty' which is like ER, there is one
character, a hospital administrator who rides his bike to work. He's
actually built like a cyclist, small and slight THe bike is a
specialized.One ofthe nurses comments that he looks like a pizza
delivery man (in his bike togs). I thought britain was so much more
enlightened and that more people ride bikes to work!

IMBA Advocates Illegal Night Riding! Mike Vandeman Mountain Biking 23 September 27th 04 11:06 AM
Night Ride Monty General 17 August 6th 04 11:11 PM
Penasquitos Canyon at Night ~Video~ Michael Paul Mountain Biking 6 May 8th 04 02:51 PM
? 4 all you night riders... Roger Buchanan Mountain Biking 12 November 1st 03 02:44 AM