"Firm up the handlebars"???

Old January 21st 05, 06:02 PM
Pete Biggs

Default "Firm up the handlebars"???

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...tem=7129546972

"Keen cyclists will know that this gadget is used to firm up the
handle-bars."

I thought I was keen but I've never heard of anything like this. Is it
meant for repairs or what? Firming is nonsense, I guess.

~PB

Old January 21st 05, 06:09 PM
M. Chandler

Pete Biggs wrote:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...tem=7129546972

"Keen cyclists will know that this gadget is used to firm up the
handle-bars."

I thought I was keen but I've never heard of anything like this. Is it
meant for repairs or what? Firming is nonsense, I guess.

~PB

Looks like a bolt-on crossbard for (mtb) riser bars.

--
Mark Chandler
Superior, CO
Old January 21st 05, 06:24 PM
Paul Kopit

On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 18:02:02 -0000, "Pete Biggs"
wrote:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...tem=7129546972

"Keen cyclists will know that this gadget is used to firm up the
handle-bars."

I thought I was keen but I've never heard of anything like this. Is it
meant for repairs or what? Firming is nonsense, I guess.

I wonder why they don't make bars with a piece of wood, plastic, or CF
in the bar at the clamping area. When the bar failed, you'd get time
to bring the bicycle safely to a stop. I am told that this is a trick
that they used to do with steerer tubes when failures were not
uncommon.
Old January 21st 05, 06:34 PM

like a shock tower to shock tower bar on the front end above the engine
with engine mount type bushings or not.
metal flexes! some auto designs shake and rattle up there under
non-commute loads.
consider the: on the seat, off the seat or one pedal down one up or
best both even when cornering. The frame, a truss like a roof truss has
+ and - pressure areas that shift around in action. best loaded
evenly at the bottom to reduce compressive loads squeezing down from
the seat seated
may not be noticeable BUTBUTBUT!

add a gorilla or slide the volvo over a dirt road at 80
and then metal parts then begin to flex noticeably.

Old January 21st 05, 06:46 PM

wrote:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...tem=7129546972

"Keen cyclists will know that this gadget is used to firm up the
handle-bars."

I thought I was keen but I've never heard of anything like this. Is it
meant for repairs or what? Firming is nonsense, I guess.

~PB

Dear Pete,

I doubt that the add-on brace helps short, flat, straight
off-road bicycle handlebars.

But handlebar braces are quite common in the off-road
motorcycle world where handlebars are wider and their curve
is quite different:

With an add-on brace, this:
______ ________
\ /
\__c_c__/

becomes this:

______ _______
x----------x
\__c__c__/

and the flexing at the handlebar clamps "c" is greatly
reduced, leading to much longer handlebar life.

Carl Fogel
Old January 21st 05, 07:27 PM
Werehatrack

may have said:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...tem=7129546972

"Keen cyclists will know that this gadget is used to firm up the
handle-bars."

I thought I was keen but I've never heard of anything like this. Is it
meant for repairs or what? Firming is nonsense, I guess.

Trick-bike stuff used with long riser bars. I've seen a couple of
them on freeride bikes. I've also seen a bike that was more of an art
project which used two such crossbars to provide additional space to
mount stuff. (Not sorry that I don't have pictures; think of it as a
rolling testament to the color pink.)

Old January 21st 05, 10:45 PM
Chalo

Pete Biggs wrote:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...tem=7129546972

"Keen cyclists will know that this gadget is used to firm up the
handle-bars."

I thought I was keen but I've never heard of anything like this. Is

it
meant for repairs or what? Firming is nonsense, I guess.

No, it does what it's supposed to do. I have such devices on three of
my bikes, and I have handlebars with welded crossbars on many others
(at least six, but it's difficult to keep track).

Handlebars flex around. The taller or wider they are, or the more
force you apply, the more they flex. A crossbar allows one side to
support the other, which greatly increases strength and rigidity-- much
the same way that your bike is stiffer and stronger with a top tube
than it would be without one.

Chalo Colina

Old January 21st 05, 11:32 PM
Pete Biggs

M. Chandler wrote:
Pete Biggs wrote:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...tem=7129546972

"Keen cyclists will know that this gadget is used to firm up the
handle-bars."

I thought I was keen but I've never heard of anything like this. Is
it meant for repairs or what? Firming is nonsense, I guess.

Looks like a bolt-on crossbard for (mtb) riser bars.

Thanks Mark and everyone, that does make sense.

Obviously I'm not a keen mountain biker :-$

~PB

FS: Deda Magic and TTT Handlebars Clint Marketplace 1 July 28th 04 08:15 PM
LF/CH ZOOM Brahma bicycle handlebars or similar. Martin Levac Marketplace 1 May 21st 04 03:52 AM
Wider handlebars Pat Fleming General 2 May 13th 04 03:42 PM
Ban Handlebars Tony Raven UK 6 February 7th 04 02:11 PM
Help - handlebars not staying place Gawnsoft UK 9 August 25th 03 06:09 AM